ImageImageImage

Ok let's do and talk wes matthews

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Ok let's do and talk wes matthews 

Post#1 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jun 2, 2017 11:36 pm

We debate a lot of places on him, it seems everyone agrees he is overpaid, by how much it varies. For a team like us with no stars he is probably a 12m per guy, on a good team where he gets better easier shots he's probably a 15m guy. That doesn't take into account his leaderahip. Here is the question, what do u think he is worth, keep him or move him, and if u want to move him is cap enough or would you want a rotation player player. I have alway been on the keep him train however if he can be moved for a cheap decent rotational guy im in. What i didn't know until today is his final year is a player option, its very likely with a solid season he opts out and and trys to land a bigger final deal, less per year but more guaranteed. I could see a team offering a 4/48 or even a contender offending an mle.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,901

Re: Ok let's do and talk wes matthews 

Post#2 » by Dirk » Fri Jun 2, 2017 11:57 pm

Call the Wolves and see if they are interested in him for a protected 1st rounder.

Then call Portland ask them for picks to take on Turner or less for Crabbe.

Sounds too good uhmm.
60/21/10
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#3 » by Darren » Sat Jun 3, 2017 1:03 am

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:Call the Wolves and see if they are interested in him for a protected 1st rounder.

Then call Portland ask them for picks to take on Turner or less for Crabbe.

Sounds too good uhmm.

I am all for trading him for 2 seasons. For rebuilding purpose, he's too professional to tank. For retooling purpose, his lacking of playmaking and inconsistent shooting performance hurts the team against playoff foe. At 31, he's not as valuable due to the new CBA. Under the new CBA, teams value young talents who can be locked into for 9 years. Teams would rather keep cap space than veterans. It's not hard to be figured out. As for contending teams, Wes can barely put them over the top. How few contending teams are there anyway?

Literally, there is only 1 contending teams for next couple of year unless some team finally break the slience to team up Gobert, Porzingis and so on. I can't see any team really contending. From what I observe, Utah is the closed challenger to GSW. However, they need a Porzingis at 4 and an elite stopper at 1 to do some. With Gobert and Porzingis, the GSW won't have much chance under the baskets. And they can't really defend the bigs that are so tall and so good in spacing.

Another team I think can make a difference is Minnesota. If they can land an impact combo forward, for example, Lebron, Butler or Gallinari, alongside another elite combo guard at 8th, they have a chance to be there. Potentially, KAT-Lebron-Butler-LaVine/8th pick-Rubio is enough as a challenger to GSW. Assume that they're able to trade Wiggins for Butler. That's a hell of team. Lebron and Butler can shut down anyone at 3 and 4, i.e.Coward Durant and Boxer Green. And KAT's versatility will be the edge over GSW assumed that Rubio can be a force on the defensive end against Curry. And LaVine is long and athletic enough to bother Klay Thompson.

Boston is okay if they convince Lebron to join them. They have a nice defensive force. They are a major shotblocking presence, maybe Andre Drummond, away from contending after Lebron signed. All of their contracts are tradeable. And they have a nice collection of stoppers at swingman positions. They can always trade Thomas for something. Fultz-Bradley-Lebron-Horford-Drummond can be a real challenger to GSW. If Lebron is serious about contending, he must leave the Cavs. Kevin Love sucks. So is Thompson and JR Smith. It's not hard to figure it out. They should have traded for Anthony by the deadline. They now pay the price for a 0-4 swap.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,703

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jun 3, 2017 1:05 am

Best bet imo would be to find a playoff team(or one that wants to be) that has some dead money to exchange and would give us a lotto protected pick where the protections never lesson and eventually convert to 2 2nds. Or yeah see if the Wolves want him into their cap space and see if they'd give us Dunn if we gave them a minor asset or just ask for a couple future 2nds. They already owe Atlanta a first so I think that's probably out.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Yennefer
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#5 » by Yennefer » Sat Jun 3, 2017 6:23 am

Wes is a great Player for a Win Now Team, but we are in Full Tank Mode for the next few Years. Gets rid of him for the best offer.
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#6 » by Devassa » Sat Jun 3, 2017 12:15 pm

Wes needs to get dumped. He just doesn't fit where we are as a franchise at all. I love the Portland trade idea for Turner and 2 picks
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Post#7 » by Suka Bongcic » Sat Jun 3, 2017 1:12 pm

Evan turner is complete garbage. I'd rather have Crabbe or Harkless.....and I think they suck too. Both players that can be adequate when surrounded by stars
Suka Bongcic
Senior

Post#8 » by Suka Bongcic » Sat Jun 3, 2017 1:12 pm

I'd trade Matthews for a 2nd pick if we can get one
Darren
RealGM

Post#9 » by Darren » Sat Jun 3, 2017 1:43 pm

Black Falcon wrote:I'd trade Matthews for a 2nd pick if we can get one

If we're patient enough, we can get a first for him when he's expiring. However, we've to prepare that we're out of tanking again. With him and Noel on the floor, I can't see us landing a top-10 pick again. Therefore, if Portland offers both 15 and 20 along with Turner, we have to take that. If they only offer one pick, we've to figure out who's left on board. Personally, I want OG Anunoby and Hartstein at 15th and 20th pick. And pick Ntilikina at 9th pick.

C - Nerlens Noel / Salah Mejri / AJ Hammons
PF - Dirk Nowitzki / Isisah Hartstein / Dwight Powell
SF - Harrison Barnes / Dorian Finney Smith / Evan Turner
SG - Seth Curry / OG Anunoby / Nicholas Brussino
PG - Frank Ntilikina / Yogi Ferrell / Jose Barea

We finish the off season early and match any offer for Noel. I am not surprised if RC talks with Dirk about getting off bench for Sixth Man Award after training camp. We may try out Hammons with Noel. I think they're able to complement each other really well. But still, I think the Mavs win more game with this roster. Last season is a joke. We're just heavily shorthanded. With a lot of young legs, I don't see us bothered by injury issues again. That's a really deep team.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#10 » by jpengland » Sat Jun 3, 2017 3:22 pm

He's a great character, a winner and I genuinely think he's a plus player.

He's not earning his contact, no. But during a rebuild he's the kind of guy i want showing some leadership. I also think he's getting better and better at adjusting to his loss of bounce., He's had to learn how to finish at the rim all over again.

I'd love him to retire a Maverick.

That said, if he wants to go and win and somebody will give us something of value back which also clears some cap commitment, id be happy.

He has positive value, for me.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#11 » by 2011Champs » Sat Jun 3, 2017 3:49 pm

I would rather have let's say Vince Carter or Richard Jefferson back and save the money.
Suka Bongcic
Senior

Post#12 » by Suka Bongcic » Sun Jun 4, 2017 8:22 pm

Darren wrote:

If we're patient enough, we can get a first for him when he's expiring. However, we've to prepare that we're out of tanking again. With him and Noel on the floor, I can't see us landing a top-10 pick again. Therefore, if Portland offers both 15 and 20 along with Turner, we have to take that. If they only offer one pick, we've to figure out who's left on board. Personally, I want OG Anunoby and Hartstein at 15th and 20th pick. And pick Ntilikina at 9th pick.

We finish the off season early and match any offer for Noel. I am not surprised if RC talks with Dirk about getting off bench for Sixth Man Award after training camp. We may try out Hammons with Noel. I think they're able to complement each other really well. But still, I think the Mavs win more game with this roster. Last season is a joke. We're just heavily shorthanded. With a lot of young legs, I don't see us bothered by injury issues again. That's a really deep team.

in what world could OG Anunoby be a SG? He's quite possibly the worst offensive player in the draft. He can't shoot a lick. He's an athlete with tremendous defensive upside. He will never be a SG but can definitely be a lockdown defender

If we can get 2 1st rd picks for taking Turners contract, I can tolerate him I suppose, but I'd rather not. He's just not a good fit imo. A playmaking SF that doesn't make plays or play good D with a monster contract. If we end up with 9, 15 and 20 I'd rather have Zach Collins (I think Ntilikina will be a Knick and won't make it to 9), Donovan Mitchell and Justin Jackson.
Devassa
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by Devassa » Sun Jun 4, 2017 8:40 pm

Black Falcon wrote:
Darren wrote:

in what world could OG Anunoby be a SG? He's quite possibly the worst offensive player in the draft. He can't shoot a lick. He's an athlete with tremendous defensive upside. He will never be a SG but can definitely be a lockdown defender

If we can get 2 1st rd picks for taking Turners contract, I can tolerate him I suppose, but I'd rather not. He's just not a good fit imo. A playmaking SF that doesn't make plays or play good D with a monster contract. If we end up with 9, 15 and 20 I'd rather have Zach Collins (I think Ntilikina will be a Knick and won't make it to 9), Donovan Mitchell and Justin Jackson.

I tend to agree, except I would rather go with a 1 or 2 with our 9th pick (Smith, Ntilikina, Monk in that order), then go with Giles with one of the other picks and Allen with the other
Suka Bongcic
Senior

Post#14 » by Suka Bongcic » Sun Jun 4, 2017 9:14 pm

Devassa wrote:
Black Falcon wrote:
Darren wrote:

I tend to agree, except I would rather go with a 1 or 2 with our 9th pick (Smith, Ntilikina, Monk in that order), then go with Giles with one of the other picks and Allen with the other

I would definitely prefer smith or nkitlitina over Collins, I just don't think either will be available. Monk is intriguing for sure, just not a fan of the undersized shooting guards that can't defend anyone. He's a special talent on the offensive end though, no question. Mitchell is a very solid defender (with a crazy wingspan), can stroke it and drive to the hoop. Not the athlete Monk is but I see a solid player.

I wouldn't touch Giles with a 10 foot pole. His defensive instincts are nil, his knees still aren't healed and would be a huge detriment on the defensive end. In today's game, the bigs need to be able to step out on the pick and roll and he's one of the worst pnr defenders I've seen in college. With his knee history, I'd stay clear of Giles, despite his upside. Allen would be a great add though. Has a great touch for a big. A couple of years in the weight room and he can be a very nice player in today's NBA.

I just wouldn't want to add a PF and a C if we had 3 1st rd picks. Give me two wings/pg and one big. The evolution of this NBA has me taking guards and wings over bigs. I make the exception with Collins because I believe he's a special talent.
Devassa
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by Devassa » Sun Jun 4, 2017 10:18 pm

Black Falcon wrote:
Devassa wrote:
Black Falcon wrote:in what world could OG Anunoby be a SG? He's quite possibly the worst offensive player in the draft. He can't shoot a lick. He's an athlete with tremendous defensive upside. He will never be a SG but can definitely be a lockdown defender

I would definitely prefer smith or nkitlitina over Collins, I just don't think either will be available. Monk is intriguing for sure, just not a fan of the undersized shooting guards that can't defend anyone. He's a special talent on the offensive end though, no question. Mitchell is a very solid defender (with a crazy wingspan), can stroke it and drive to the hoop. Not the athlete Monk is but I see a solid player.

I wouldn't touch Giles with a 10 foot pole. His defensive instincts are nil, his knees still aren't healed and would be a huge detriment on the defensive end. In today's game, the bigs need to be able to step out on the pick and roll and he's one of the worst pnr defenders I've seen in college. With his knee history, I'd stay clear of Giles, despite his upside. Allen would be a great add though. Has a great touch for a big. A couple of years in the weight room and he can be a very nice player in today's NBA.

I just wouldn't want to add a PF and a C if we had 3 1st rd picks. Give me two wings/pg and one big. The evolution of this NBA has me taking guards and wings over bigs. I make the exception with Collins because I believe he's a special talent.

I only want Giles because we have such a good medical staff. Guys like Tyson and Stackhouse had good years here despite being labeled injury prone players and I'd like to think Giles could turn into a productive player with us
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#16 » by Teffer10 » Sun Jun 4, 2017 11:04 pm

Wes for Portland's #20/#26/Turner
Curry/Mejri for OKC's #21/Singler

Rebuild with Noel/Barnes/Brussino/Yogi/DFS/Powell/#9/#20/#21/#26 and most likely a 2018 top 5 pick.

If that situation becomes available I do it in a heartbeat.
Darren
RealGM

Post#17 » by Darren » Mon Jun 5, 2017 11:10 am

Teffer10 wrote:Wes for Portland's #20/#26/Turner

Rebuild with Noel/Barnes/Brussino/Yogi/DFS/Powell/#9/#20/#21/#26 and most likely a 2018 top 5 pick.

It seems like very possible situation. I don't think Portland can dumb Turner without parting with 20 and 15. If they take Wes, that's about right offer. I want 15 and 26/20, though. By the way, I may look to trade up for Knicks' pick if no PG is available at 9th. By the way, I don't think highly of Yogi. I may first look at how much he wants for the next contract. If the price is right, re-sign him. If the price is wrong, trade him. I don't want to repeat Portland's mistakes. We can't get all rookies expire at the same year. There's always a bad team like Brooklyn to make awful offer for mediocre players. That being said, trading up is much better than keeping multiple picks unless they're really talents as prospects and trading pieces.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Post#18 » by daoneandonly » Mon Jun 5, 2017 11:36 am

I wouldn't trade for Turner unless we were getting back the 15th in the deal, the other two don't make up for the extra year (actually maybe 2 years if Wes decides to opt out)
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#19 » by dirkforpres » Mon Jun 5, 2017 12:03 pm

daoneandonly wrote:

I wouldn't trade for Turner unless we were getting back the 15th in the deal, the other two don't make up for the extra year (actually maybe 2 years if Wes decides to opt out)

I wouldn't mind Turner here, but only because of the picks we would net in return... I think the potential reward outweighs the risk. If we could get Smith, Anunoby, and Giles with our 2017 picks, that's a great haul
FIRE JASON KIDD
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#20 » by Teffer10 » Mon Jun 5, 2017 4:08 pm

Darren wrote:

It seems like very possible situation. I don't think Portland can dumb Turner without parting with 20 and 15. If they take Wes, that's about right offer. I want 15 and 26/20, though. By the way, I may look to trade up for Knicks' pick if no PG is available at 9th. By the way, I don't think highly of Yogi. I may first look at how much he wants for the next contract. If the price is right, re-sign him. If the price is wrong, trade him. I don't want to repeat Portland's mistakes. We can't get all rookies expire at the same year. There's always a bad team like Brooklyn to make awful offer for mediocre players. That being said, trading up is much better than keeping multiple picks unless they're really talents as prospects and trading pieces.

I don't see Portland giving up 15 & 20 unless they are getting a big expiring in return. If I'm Sac I'm offering Gay/Afflalo for Crabbe/Leonard/15/20 and I think Portland would do that in a heartbeat which would be much better than what we could offer.

Return to Dallas Mavericks