Alex Len (RFA)
14.1 PPG, 11.8 RPG, 1.0 APG, 0.9 SPG, 2.3 BPG, 2.4 TO, 5.6 PF

Dewayne Dedmon (UFA)
10.5 PPG, 13.4 RPG, 1.2 APG, 1.0 SPG, 1.7 BPG, 1.7 TO, 4.9 PF

Joffrey Lauvergne (RFA)
13.3 PPG, 10.2 RPG, 2.8 APG, 1.0 SPG, 0.0 BPG, 2.4 TO, 1.8 PF

Jeff Withey (UFA)
12.2 PPG, 10.1 RPG, 0.6 APG, 1.3 SPG, 2.7 BPG, 1.2 TO, 4.3 PF

I left out Olynycks and Mirotic coz they can't actually protect the rim. (By the way, McGee has the most crazy number at 23.0 PPG, 11.9 RPG, 0.8 APG, 0.9 SPG, 3.3 BPG, 1.9 TO, 5.3 PF ...but he's 29 years' old. He doesn't make much sense to rebuilding teams.)
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Re: Let's rank these young centers' value in open market 

Post#2 » by Darren » Mon Jul 3, 2017 3:47 am

It seems as if teams can have the same production for half of the salary of Noel. At the same price, teams may look for land a guard (Hayward? Haradaway?) than a center. Dedmon (and McGee) maybe an easy target for a team that look for a center. If they only want backup center, Withey is an obvious option. Maybe they'd look at similar players (says, Koufos of Sacremento) from trade instead of offering any RFA above. I really don't see how multiple teams offering max to Noel after witnessing Mahinmi, Ezeli, Noah and so on with some injury concerns.

That being said, even if teams looking for young center as building blocks, they'd rather have Len and Plumlee ahead of Noel. Len's actually better for center roles in rebounding and shotblocking. And he's a real center compared to Noel. And they may lose Alan Williams if they match Len's offer. Plumlee is more versatile on the offensive end. Teams can actually play him as PF due to 4.0 APG. And Denver just signed Paul Milsapp. I am not sure they still match Plumlee's offer if it is way too high. Noel's not a traditional center. He's a man without a true position. Only a team that playing mismatch basketball will value him over traditional centers. And it is clear that the Mavs are all-out to match any offer. Therefore, perhaps Noel's the least valuable center on the trade market for a starting center.
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Re: Let's rank these young centers' value in open market 

Post#3 » by Suka Bongcic » Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:08 am

Darren wrote:It seems as if teams can have the same production for half of the salary of Noel. At the same price, teams may look for land a guard (Hayward? Haradaway?) than a center. Dedmon (and McGee) maybe an easy target for a team that look for a center. If they only want backup center, Withey is an obvious option. Maybe they'd look at similar players (says, Koufos of Sacremento) from trade instead of offering any RFA above. I really don't see how multiple teams offering max to Noel after witnessing Mahinmi, Ezeli, Noah and so on with some injury concerns.

That being said, even if teams looking for young center as building blocks, they'd rather have Len and Plumlee ahead of Noel. Len's actually better for center roles in rebounding and shotblocking. And he's a real center compared to Noel. And they may lose Alan Williams if they match Len's offer. Plumlee is more versatile on the offensive end. Teams can actually play him as PF due to 4.0 APG. And Denver just signed Paul Milsapp. I am not sure they still match Plumlee's offer if it is way too high. Noel's not a traditional center. He's a man without a true position. Only a team that playing mismatch basketball will value him over traditional centers. And it is clear that the Mavs are all-out to match any offer. Therefore, perhaps Noel's the least valuable center on the trade market for a starting center.

Therefore, perhaps Noel's the least valuable center on the trade market looking for a center?

I don't understand. And what's a "real Center". It's 2017. Not 1984. A real center in 2017 has to be able to protect the rim (Noel checks that box), rebound (Noel could be better in that aspect) and defend the pick and roll (Noel checks that box). There are maybe 5 centers in the league that need to be defended in the low post. And none of them are competing for a title

Btw plumlee isn't more versatile on the offensive end. All he can do is pass. Versatile means he's capable of being successful in more than 1 aspect of the game. He is not. He's quite possibly the worst scorer I've ever seen in my 42 years of being alive. This includes high school basketball. This may be an exaggeration.....but it might also be the truth. He's god awful trying to score

I'd also argue that Noel is a better shot blocker than Len

Return to Dallas Mavericks