ImageImageImage

Has Nerlens Noel been officially signed yet?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Re: Has Nerlens Noel been officially signed yet? 

Post#81 » by fuller4379 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:49 am

Powell's contract made absolutely no sense the day they signed it. He had only shown brief flashes of even being a serviceable PF prior to getting it. I didn't think he deserved anything above league minimum. That contract forces us to be very thrifty with Noel.

Mathews was a slight overpay, but he would still get a similar day today. Caldwell-Pope got $18 million and he isn't as good as Wes.

Parsons was bad luck. He was good when he played, but he was injured all the time. They were forced to overpay if the wanted him because he was a RFA. If he signed a reasonable deal, then the Rockets would have matched. At least we were smart enough to not give damaged goods a maximum contract. His contract is going to put the Grizzlies back a few years. We lucked into Harrison Barnes because Backpack signed with GSW. Barnes is a lot better player.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#82 » by Darren » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:44 pm

fuller4379 wrote:Powell's contract made absolutely no sense the day they signed it. He had only shown brief flashes of even being a serviceable PF prior to getting it. I didn't think he deserved anything above league minimum. That contract forces us to be very thrifty with Noel.

Mathews was a slight overpay, but he would still get a similar day today. Caldwell-Pope got $18 million and he isn't as good as Wes.

Parsons was bad luck. He was good when he played, but he was injured all the time. They were forced to overpay if the wanted him because he was a RFA. If he signed a reasonable deal, then the Rockets would have matched. At least we were smart enough to not give damaged goods a maximum contract. His contract is going to put the Grizzlies back a few years. We lucked into Harrison Barnes because Backpack signed with GSW. Barnes is a lot better player.

I don't think 18M is underpaid for Noel at all. We predict a deal around 18-20M range. The open market tells us it is closer to 18M. So be it. It is indeed the original offer nearly all of us agreed upon. I don't want another Chandler Parsons on roster. If he only bothers about getting paid like Chandler Parsons, I don't think he'll eventually lift up to hype. He'll only regress with reduced efforts and reducing athleticism by injuries. So he's essentially a 16M guy since he's who he's. He probably won't improve much. We love him. So we have offered him a bit more than other team. However, not at the expense of the future of the team of course.

Admittedly, this is a very boring summer. We're 100% relying on Dennis Smith to carry the team. He may / may not succeed. He's shown flashes in what he can become. But he also confirms some of our worries in term of toughness and leadership. This will affect him a lot in terms of work ethics and competitiveness big time.
Darren
RealGM

Post#83 » by Darren » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:47 pm

More than not coming to term with money. I am also suspicious that he may not want to work at all. That's the most worrying part of the situation. Even if he's back, he may become another Dalembert perhaps.
Darren
RealGM

Post#84 » by Darren » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:51 pm

In the current situation, he hurts himself the most to be labelled at Eddy Curry 2.0. But he also hurts the team by putting the development of the team. That's a loss-loss situation for both parties. It seems likely the situation won't improve a bit until October. We've to prepare for an empty season not watching any Mavs games at all.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#85 » by arkuo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:13 pm

Darren wrote:In the current situation, he hurts himself the most to be labelled at Eddy Curry 2.0. But he also hurts the team by putting the development of the team. That's a loss-loss situation for both parties. It seems likely the situation won't improve a bit until October. We've to prepare for an empty season not watching any Mavs games at all.

Salah Mejiri at C would mean 3 things:

- We have a shot at a top 3 pick
- Dirk gets to rest most of the season
- Junior and Barnes gets some burn and hopefully develop their skills further.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#86 » by JamesConway » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:38 pm

Read on Twitter
arkuo
General Manager

Post#87 » by arkuo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:54 pm

^ I dont know if that's a lowball initial offer. But if the budget is indeed earmarked at $12M for Noel, if Cuban can talk Wes into opting out and resigning a smaller deal but with more years on it, then we just might have space for 2 max contracts. The FO must be up to something.

If it were up to me I'd rather pay Cousins $25M or whatever the max is rather than pay Noel $20M. At least Cousins can put up 20-25 PPG a night. Noel's 8 ppg with his knee history isnt worth 20 IMO.
Darren
RealGM

Post#88 » by Darren » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:49 pm

JamesConway wrote:
Read on Twitter

A couple of day ago, I heard the Mavs offered 18M. Something must be wrong in-between.
Darren
RealGM

Post#89 » by Darren » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:26 pm

Brooklyn picked Crabb over Noel. Has he waked up yet? He's not really valuable in eyes of rebuilding team. Right now, only Pheonix and Altanta have rooms to do something. But Altanta has stolen a young big from San Antonio. And Pheonix has a RFA in Alex Len. Quite clearly, the most contract he can get from either team is 17M.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#90 » by arkuo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:53 pm

Darren wrote:Brooklyn picked Crabb over Noel. Has he waked up yet? He's not really valuable in eyes of rebuilding team. Right now, only Pheonix and Altanta have rooms to do something. But Altanta has stolen a young big from San Antonio. And Pheonix has a RFA in Alex Len. Quite clearly, the most contract he can get from either team is 17M.

Its Happy Walters talking on the table, not Nerlens. Noel is Happy's only active player right now that would net him decent money through commissions. The other one is Monta Ellis who was waived by Indiana, I think. So yes, that idiot happy needs to pay his electricity bills and he's trying to fleece Cuban for a little more commission money. :crazy:
Hadley
Junior
And1: 182

Post#91 » by Hadley » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:40 am

I hope he takes the QO and is out next Year. This clearly show how immature and stupid he is. Probably has the McGee Syndom and thinks he is the next fücking Shaq!
Basketballmania
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Re: RE: Re: Has Nerlens Noel been officially signed yet? 

Post#92 » by Basketballmania » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Hadley wrote:I hope he takes the QO and is out next Year. This clearly show how immature and stupid he is. Probably has the McGee Syndom and thinks he is the next fücking Shaq!

As already mentioned, this is more about his agent than him...
Darren
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Has Nerlens Noel been officially signed yet? 

Post#93 » by Darren » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Basketballmania wrote:
Hadley wrote:I hope he takes the QO and is out next Year. This clearly show how immature and stupid he is. Probably has the McGee Syndom and thinks he is the next fücking Shaq!

As already mentioned, this is more about his agent than him...

Actually, JaVale McGee has better number per 36 minutes in 2016/17 season. 23 PPG, 11.9 RPG, 3.3 BPG. That's ridiculous statsline.
Darren
RealGM

Post#94 » by Darren » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:00 pm

Pheonix is rumored to offer Alex Len 4M QO and possibly let him go in 2018.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,864

Post#95 » by Dirk » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:10 pm

The most fascinating thing about all this is that I still haven't seen a single credible report about:

a) how much Noel (and his agent) want;

b) how much have the Mavs offered;

All the tweets I have seen are generic things from people with no real history of breaking anything or with real sources.

But it feels like the soap opera is set to continue based on Noel's latest instagram post.
60/21/10
arkuo
General Manager

Post#96 » by arkuo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:24 pm

Dirk wrote:The most fascinating thing about all this is that I still haven't seen a single credible report about:

a) how much Noel (and his agent) want;

b) how much have the Mavs offered;

All the tweets I have seen are generic things from people with no real history of breaking anything or with real sources.

But it feels like the soap opera is set to continue based on Noel's latest instagram post.

You see, that kinda tells you something. If Nerlens' camp is truly disappointed at the offer the Mavs made they would have leaked that to the press by now. That tells us that the Mavs made a fair offer. So as to not get negative PR from the press, Happy and company wanted to keep it private.

Same goes with the Mavs, by keeping it private, they would have saved Nerlens from being thrown under the bus and being branded selfish. All things considered it tells me that Cuban gave a fair deal according to the market. Happy Walters is just holding out for more. Probably calling some of his backdoor sources on different teams getting them to offer something big so the Mavs would match. Thing is, that team doesn't exist. Keep dreaming, Walters.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,812

Post#97 » by dirkforpres » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:42 pm

Dirk wrote:But it feels like the soap opera is set to continue based on Noel's latest instagram post.

Can you elaborate? I didn't see anything too dramatic about his post..
FIRE JASON KIDD
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,864

Post#98 » by Dirk » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:57 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Dirk wrote:But it feels like the soap opera is set to continue based on Noel's latest instagram post.

Can you elaborate? I didn't see anything too dramatic about his post..

Haha, I am not actually a big fan of this - reading social media and then making conjunctures, but he doesn't post much on instagram and his latest post...

nerlensnoel3Cool summer .. I'm 23 and I been workin' on me! #JordanYear #IdBetOnMyself

Just comes off as him sending a message to the Mavs. Me = betting on me = either "bet on me by paying me what I want" or "I will bet on myself". It's nothing too dramatic...but it's just another chapter in this soap opera.

arkuo wrote:You see, that kinda tells you something. If Nerlens' camp is truly disappointed at the offer the Mavs made they would have leaked that to the press by now. That tells us that the Mavs made a fair offer. So as to not get negative PR from the press, Happy and company wanted to keep it private.

Same goes with the Mavs, by keeping it private, they would have saved Nerlens from being thrown under the bus and being branded selfish. All things considered it tells me that Cuban gave a fair deal according to the market. Happy Walters is just holding out for more. Probably calling some of his backdoor sources on different teams getting them to offer something big so the Mavs would match. Thing is, that team doesn't exist. Keep dreaming, Walters.

Those are good points. Noel's agent has mentioned "respectable offer", but it was vague. That's about it as far as quotes and reliable info on the negotiations. By now you would have expected some credible reporter to have said "Noel rejected X offer" or "Mavs not willing to meet Noel's request of Y". So that's quite odd.

We've just seen Brandon Knight get hurt and be out for the season... Noel is out there working out without a contract... so the risk is real for him.

To be honest, I look at the Mavs and I think long term. I like Noel and would like to keep him, but I don't believe you're going to win the league or anything with Barnes/Noel on near max contracts. So they need to come away from this with a contract that presents good value to the team. To me if the Mavs get him under 70M/4 years... then ok. Anything above that... I'd be frustrated.

Sucks that you may lose him if he plays under the QO and there is already this feeling of negativity because obviously fans will sour on a player they perceive as being money hungry... he is entitled to negotiate things as he likes... but if you told anyone a month ago that he would still be unsigned... no one would believe believe it. The Mavs have a recent history of "rewarding" players. I think anything above 20 million/year is delusional and if that were the case and Noel's agent was pushing for that... then so be it... just move on.

If they can't get a good value deal... then just turn the page, be smart by tanking next year (focusing on young guys, pursuing trades where you net a pick or two by using your cap space) and getting a high pick to add on to DSJ.

I am switching off from this soap opera, at least until there are credible reports that give us a picture on how far the sides are.
60/21/10
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#99 » by JamesConway » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:49 pm

He posted a video on instagram showing him working out including a not-so-cryptic hasthag in the text description about him 'betting' on himself. The part where Nerlens and his agent try to negotiate over the media/social media is in full effect.

I'm a huge fan & I get how frustrating this all must be for him hitting RFA just 12 months after that crazy capspike and after being traded to a team that has a track record of overpaying for players in the recent past (Wes, Barea's 'raise' after the Deandre-thing, $40M man-Dwight Powell), but if the Mavs offer him anything remotely fair (& I'm sure they do, otherwise they wouldn't have made that trade) he's probably much better off just swallowing his pride and taking it. The big man market is pretty much dead at this point. That was well-dcoumented leading up to the trade deadline and Nerlens himself even was traded for a bag of chips. You'll have the likes of Embiid, Cousins, Nurkic, Brook Lopez, Capela hit FA next summer (maybe also Len/Plumlee if they take the QO) and a rookie-class coming in that features Ayton, Bamba, Robert Williams.

I don't see how his situation will get much better 12 months down the road. And even if it does he'd still have to make up for a ton of money that he'd lose by playing for the QO. Factor in the injury risk (& that's a very real thing in his case) and I just don't see any scenario where that's a somewhat rational option. The upside isn't great financially but the risk certainly would be.

This will probably continue to drag out but if they don't come to an agreement I don't see how any of the parties involved could be satisfied with that outcome.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#100 » by arkuo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:01 pm

JamesConway wrote:He posted a video on instagram showing him working out including a not-so-cryptic hasthag in the text description about him 'betting' on himself. The part where Nerlens and his agent try to negotiate over the media/social media is in full effect.

I'm a huge fan & I get how frustrating this all must be for him hitting RFA just 12 months after that crazy capspike and after being traded to a team that has a track record of overpaying for players in the recent past (Wes, Barea's 'raise' after the Deandre-thing, $40M man-Dwight Powell), but if the Mavs offer him anything remotely fair (& I'm sure they do, otherwise they wouldn't have made that trade) he's probably much better off just swallowing his pride and taking it. The big man market is pretty much dead at this point. That was well-dcoumented leading up to the trade deadline and Nerlens himself even was traded for a bag of chips. You'll have the likes of Embiid, Cousins, Nurkic, Brook Lopez, Capela hit FA next summer (maybe also Len/Plumlee if they take the QO) and a rookie-class coming in that features Ayton, Bamba, Robert Williams.

I don't see how his situation will get much better 12 months down the road. And even if it does he'd still have to make up for a ton of money that he'd lose by playing for the QO. Factor in the injury risk (& that's a very real thing in his case) and I just don't see any scenario where that's a somewhat rational option. The upside isn't great financially but the risk certainly would be.

This will probably continue to drag out but if they don't come to an agreement I don't see how any of the parties involved could be satisfied with that outcome.

Happy Walters is thinking out of his bum. He needs to use his head here and have a little foresight.

I can see the only thing this gets done is when both parties sign a deal and walk away unhappy. that's when you know it was called right down the middle. :D

Return to Dallas Mavericks