ImageImage

Pujols to the Angels for over $250 Million

boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Pujols to the Angels for over $250 Million 

Post#1 » by boogiesdad » Thu Dec 8, 2011 9:14 pm

Albert Pujols has agreed to a 10-year deal with the Angels.

Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that the agreement is worth $250 million.

Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports was the first to break the story.

Several other outlets have confirmed the deal with Jon Heyman of MLB Network putting the contract's value at "north" of $250 million.

The agreement includes a no-trade clause, which isn't something the Marlins were willing to give the first baseman.

The value of the contract is the second or third highest in baseball history, behind the deal Alex Rodriguez signed with the Yankees in 2008 ($275 million) and perhaps higher than the one Rodriguez signed with the Rangers in 2001 ($252 million).

Pujols leaves the Cardinals, the only team he has played for, following an unlikely World Series win this past season.

Read more: http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... z1fyozDjdf
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Re: Pujols to the Angels for over $250 Million 

Post#2 » by mizzoupacers » Fri Dec 9, 2011 3:10 pm

The Cardinals reportedly offered Pujols 10 years and $210 million. What it must be like to have $210 million is beyond my comprehension, so to me, the difference between that and the $250 million he got from the Angels seems irrelevant; I mean, either way, it's more money than even your great-grandkids could reasonably spend in their lifetime. If it were me, after $210 million, the money would not matter any more, and the chance to be beloved as a lifetime Cardinal, have my statue next to Musial's, etc. would be more important.

But Albert Pujols is not me. Well, good luck to him. It's a terrible shame that he won't be our generation's Stan Musial, but honestly, the Cardinals' long-term future looks better without paying that kind of money to one aging superstar.

Return to St. Louis Cardinals