ImageImageImage

Rays July Thread

Moderator: craig01

MagicRays
Junior
And1: 58

Re: Rays July Thread 

Post#21 » by MagicRays » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:30 am

Wow, amazing complete game shutout from Moore tonight to cool off the tough Red Sox and get even closer to the top of the division! The bullpen really needed him to burn through innings to give them a rest, and he delivered. Escobar's back and looked good (Got on base 3 outta 4 times, turned a double play).. He even kept his cool with 35,000 @$$holes barking racist remarks at him. Hope Myers is back from his minor wrist tweak tomorrow. KJ/Joyce were not fun to watch at the plate.
MagicRays
Junior

Post#22 » by MagicRays » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:53 pm

I found this interesting.

Position Players
http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... &players=0

Pitchers
http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... &players=0

Converts our players' production into a dollar amount. I wonder if it supposed to be in $millions? Some interesting numbers for sure.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#23 » by craig01 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:23 pm

MagicRays wrote:Wow, amazing complete game shutout from Moore tonight to cool off the tough Red Sox and get even closer to the top of the division! The bullpen really needed him to burn through innings to give them a rest, and he delivered. Escobar's back and looked good (Got on base 3 outta 4 times, turned a double play).. He even kept his cool with 35,000 @$$holes barking racist remarks at him. Hope Myers is back from his minor wrist tweak tomorrow. KJ/Joyce were not fun to watch at the plate.

Is that what happened while he was in the on deck circle?

Anyway, briiliant effort from Moore.

Defense was it's usual standout self too.

Hernandez tonight .... Ugh, I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that he can actually go 6/7 innings without giving up 5 runs or more. Can't wait until Cobb gets back so that he can fill this rotation spot.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#24 » by craig01 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Hernandez ..... UGH

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#25 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:25 pm

Myers has been something this team has been missing for a long time. Legit power hitting around Longoria.
aka: prorl
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#26 » by craig01 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:Myers has been something this team has been missing for a long time. Legit power hitting around Longoria.

He's done better than I expected, but we'll have to see how he does once scouting departments all get their first look.

Hopefully he won't dive bomb like piug has began to do.

MagicRays
Junior

Post#27 » by MagicRays » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:58 pm

Puig makes mistakes that are expected of young players. Myers has been great at the plate and even on the bases, what what's really impressive is that he doesn't act young out there. He has the poise of a veteran. Im not discounting that production though. If we projected his current production over a full season, it would look something like this...

150 Games / 605 At-Bats
.322/.351/.496 (current)
25 HR
105 RBI
90 Runs
35 Walks
20 SB, 5 CS
155 Strike Outs

I just multiplied his current numbers by 5. I'll take that every year! And to think there's a very real chance that this kid will get better...
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#28 » by craig01 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:55 pm

MagicRays wrote:Puig makes mistakes that are expected of young players. Myers has been great at the plate and even on the bases, what what's really impressive is that he doesn't act young out there. He has the poise of a veteran. Im not discounting that production though. If we projected his current production over a full season, it would look something like this...

150 Games / 605 At-Bats
.322/.351/.496 (current)
25 HR
105 RBI
90 Runs
35 Walks
20 SB, 5 CS
155 Strike Outs

I just multiplied his current numbers by 5. I'll take that every year! And to think there's a very real chance that this kid will get better...

No doubt he's had a huge impact for the rays.

And i agree, he does play with a veteran's presence.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#29 » by craig01 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:56 pm

BTW-

The rays are in sole possession of first place for the first time since June 2012.

Well done.

Maybe the rays will actually start getting some exposure from the 4-letter network.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#30 » by craig01 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Archer was brilliant again today in notching his second cg shutout.

What great starting pitching we've seen over the past month.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#31 » by craig01 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:39 am

red Sox beat Baltimore.

Still half game up

MagicRays
Junior

Post#32 » by MagicRays » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:58 pm

craig01 wrote:red Sox beat Baltimore.

Still half game up

Fandom Hierarchy:
Magic
Rays
Bucs
USF
FSU
Any team Boston is currently playing
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,063

Post#33 » by The Real Dalic » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:33 pm

This team is looking unstoppable right now. Does anyone here think the Rays have a weak spot? Because if we do I haven't seen it. We are young and very very good. The Rays and O's will take the East over for probably the next 10 years.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#34 » by craig01 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:23 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:This team is looking unstoppable right now. Does anyone here think the Rays have a weak spot? Because if we do I haven't seen it. We are young and very very good. The Rays and O's will take the East over for probably the next 10 years.

The weak spots are the bullpen and heavy production from the middle of the lineup.

The bullpen still lacks consistency (even though they've been productive of late), and the middle of the lineup needs to assert themselves (Myers has helped so far, but we'll have to see how he does once scouting reports get a second go-round).

Defensively this team is great, the rotation is pounding the strike zone, and many players are hitting with RISP.

MagicRays
Junior

Post#35 » by MagicRays » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:03 am

We made a great trade today for an injured All Star Reliever Jesse Crain. This has a huge upside to it. Crain was lights out this season as Chicago's setup man until hitting the DL a month ago with a sore right shoulder. I'd like to see this guy take Farnsworth's spot in the pen when he's healthy and ready to return. That'd replace a 5.00+ ERA guy with a 0.79 ERA guy. Huge upgrade, and we will need it with the crazy schedule we have coming up.

As I write this, Rays are up on Boston 2-1 with a rain delay that could put it in the books. That would put us back in 1st place.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#36 » by The Real Dalic » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:59 am

craig01 wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:This team is looking unstoppable right now. Does anyone here think the Rays have a weak spot? Because if we do I haven't seen it. We are young and very very good. The Rays and O's will take the East over for probably the next 10 years.

The weak spots are the bullpen and heavy production from the middle of the lineup.

The bullpen still lacks consistency (even though they've been productive of late), and the middle of the lineup needs to assert themselves (Myers has helped so far, but we'll have to see how he does once scouting reports get a second go-round).

Defensively this team is great, the rotation is pounding the strike zone, and many players are hitting with RISP.

True. But at this point in time the Rays are hitting on all cylinders and the starters are doing so well that we get to hide the weaker bullpen pitchers because they're pitching so deep into the ballgames. It also doesn't hurt that the Rays just traded for an allstar bullpen pitcher either.
MagicRays
Junior

Post#37 » by MagicRays » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:11 pm

23 runners left on base last night. wtf. hope that gets turned around tonight so we can say it was a fluke. i also expect to see plenty of bullpen action with hernandez starting and probably not going more than 6 innings.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#38 » by The Real Dalic » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:16 pm

ESPN seems to be running with the blown call yesterday :/. I wonder if they would be talking about it much had it happened the other way around.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#39 » by The Real Dalic » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:19 pm

MagicRays wrote:23 runners left on base last night. wtf. hope that gets turned around tonight so we can say it was a fluke. i also expect to see plenty of bullpen action with hernandez starting and probably not going more than 6 innings.

Yeah it sucked to watch all of those guys in great position to score only to see the guys at the plate screw it up.

As for Hernandez, I think he'll do well tonight. The only reason I think that is because its the Dbacks.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#40 » by craig01 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:46 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:ESPN seems to be running with the blown call yesterday :/. I wonder if they would be talking about it much had it happened the other way around.

No doubt they would have ignored it had it happened to the rays.

We'll be hearing about this until the next time the rays play the Sox in september.

UGH

Return to Tampa Bay Rays