ImageImageImage

13-14 Rays Offseason

Moderator: craig01

MagicRays
Junior
And1: 58

13-14 Rays Offseason 

Post#1 » by MagicRays » Fri Nov 1, 2013 12:46 pm

Price is halfway out the door. We'll likely do a deal similar to the Shields trade. I would love another top-5 MLB prospect on the team. I wonder who we could get...

Loney was a cheap pickup and had a fantastic season, but might be too expensive for us now unfortunately.

DeJesus was good for the short time we had him, but his option might be too high at $6.5M. We have some options at AAA in Guyer and Kiermaier.

Rodney has said he's willing to give us a discount to resign him. If we can get 2012 Rodney to return, any contract would be a steal.

So we have holes at 1B, LF, starting rotation, and bullpen.

I think our OF can be really strong with Myers/Jennings/Guyer/Kiermaier. I think Fuld and KJ are gone. I'm interested in seeing what we do with Joyce. Possible addition to the Price trade to grab another prospect. SRod I think really proved his worth this year playing so many positions effectively while not being completely horrible at the plate.

I think we have plenty of pieces to put together a nice bullpen. I'm a little worried about rounding out the starting rotation. Cobb/Moore/Archer/Hellickson/Niemann possibly. That's an amazing squad if they all stay healthy and pitch to their potential -- but will they?

Like usual, we'll probably let some guys go, agree with some, give a few minor leaguer's a chance in spring training, and maybe grab a free agent and/or make a trade or two. I enjoy watching the pieces come together.
MagicRays
Junior

Re: 13-14 Rays Offseason 

Post#2 » by MagicRays » Fri Nov 1, 2013 7:21 pm

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/lis ... ews_mlb%20

List of Free Agents this season, for anyone who's interested. Any thoughts on who the Rays will consider?
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#3 » by craig01 » Sun Nov 3, 2013 9:02 pm

I'll take anyone that improves the back end of the bullpen.

Lol
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
MagicRays
Junior

Post#4 » by MagicRays » Mon Nov 4, 2013 1:57 pm

The Rays officially pick up David DeJesus' contract option for 2014 at $6.5M. Rumors are the Rays restructured the contract to 2 years with a 3rd club option year.

Wow! I really like DDJ and am glad he's coming back. He will likely be our every day LFer vs. RHP and probably get late inning at-bats on his off days too. I'm surprised the Rays ponied up the money, but it is a hole that we needed filled. He's bringing both above average defense and above average offense (and a pretty smokin' wife) to a position that we've had one or the other at for a few years now.

At this point I'm assuming Guyer or SRod will make spot starts vs LHP to platoon with DDJ to get the most out of their splits. That leaves KJ and Joyce out. Maybe they are power-hitting pieces added to a Price trade?
MagicRays
Junior

Post#5 » by MagicRays » Mon Nov 4, 2013 2:12 pm

craig01 wrote:I'll take anyone that improves the back end of the bullpen.

Lol

Yea no kidding! I do think we have alot of in-house candidates to help our bullpen this year.

Crain could be resigned
Oviedo will probably get his option picked up
Gomes could very well have a break out year
Torres showed this year that he's our long relief guy now
McGee and Peralta will be back
Lueke and Yates will gets their shots in spring training to make the team. I think at least one will.
MagicRays
Junior

Post#6 » by MagicRays » Mon Nov 4, 2013 2:56 pm

It looks like they gave him a 3 year deal that overrides his option for this year, so probably didn't have to pay $6.5M afterall. It might be something that averages out to $5M/yr. If so, I think it's a steal!
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by craig01 » Tue Nov 5, 2013 12:12 am

I really like DDJ as well.

I think he would have been much more productive had he had more opportunities.

Now, do something about that bullpen......the Rays needed a closer and set up man which would allow Peralta to return to a 7th inning role which is where he belongs.

MagicRays
Junior

Post#8 » by MagicRays » Tue Nov 5, 2013 6:07 pm

Oviedo's '14 option ($2M) was not picked up and has been bought out for $30k.

I guess his rehab didn't go the way the Rays wanted it to. That's too bad. He coulda been our closer this year. Not sure if we can afford Benoit and/or Crain, but they would really nail down our bullpen.

Hernandez and Scott (and possibly Niemann) coming off the books will free up a lot of money to sign a bullpen arm.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,066

Post#9 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Nov 6, 2013 8:14 am

I would like to see the Rays go after Ricky Nolasco for the 5th spot in the rotation. But that's only if we trade Price. I would like to trade Price (again if we have to trade him) for some good bats. I think we have the pieces in the minor leagues for the bullpen, but, we desperately need to upgrade that too.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
MagicRays
Junior

Post#10 » by MagicRays » Wed Nov 6, 2013 6:13 pm

Details about DeJesus' contract are out..

$250k signing bonus
2014 $4.5M
2015 $5M
2016 $5M option, $1M buyout

So we got him for $2M less than what his option was for this coming year (it was $6.5M). That's a steal I think!
MagicRays
Junior

Post#11 » by MagicRays » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:59 pm

Myers wins AL Rookie of the Year! That gives us 3 ROYs on our active roster
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#12 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:30 am

MagicRays wrote:Myers wins AL Rookie of the Year! That gives us 3 ROYs on our active roster

The funny thing is the only two options were Rays players. Myers and Archer obviously.
MagicRays
Junior

Post#13 » by MagicRays » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:09 pm

What are the odds Brian Wilson brings the beard to Tampa Bay this year? Not sure we can afford it, but it would sure be awesome!
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#14 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:03 am

MagicRays wrote:What are the odds Brian Wilson brings the beard to Tampa Bay this year? Not sure we can afford it, but it would sure be awesome!

I know he's a good pitcher but I just don't like the guy. Lol. No thanks for me.
MagicRays
Junior

Post#15 » by MagicRays » Mon Dec 2, 2013 1:45 am

Rays resign Oviedo after buying him out a month ago. He was Miami's closer a few years ago. Could be a great addition to the bullpen this year.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#16 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Dec 4, 2013 9:34 am

Rays traded for a pretty good catcher in Haningan and a pretty good closer in Bell.

I really like this move and feel this makes us so much better. Especially in the ninth inning.

If Bell can keep runners off base in the ninth we'll be an amazing team yet again. Fernando got too wild at times so I like the move.

I love the Haningan move because he should be a huge upgrade from Molina. I thought that Lobaton was gonna take over full time, and I feel he was ready too, but I guess he'll still be sharing time unless he really impresses in Spring Training.
MagicRays
Junior

Post#17 » by MagicRays » Thu Dec 5, 2013 2:54 am

The Real Dalic wrote:Rays traded for a pretty good catcher in Haningan and a pretty good closer in Bell.

I really like this move and feel this makes us so much better. Especially in the ninth inning.

If Bell can keep runners off base in the ninth we'll be an amazing team yet again. Fernando got too wild at times so I like the move.

I love the Haningan move because he should be a huge upgrade from Molina. I thought that Lobaton was gonna take over full time, and I feel he was ready too, but I guess he'll still be sharing time unless he really impresses in Spring Training.

We resigned Molina as well to a 2 year deal. So we now have 3 catchers on our 40-man roster. Unfortunately I think Lobaton is the odd man out here. He can't be sent down to AAA (out of options), so I'm thinking he gets traded before next season starts.

As far as Hanigan goes, from what I've read he's one of the best catchers in the majors that doesn't show it in stats. Frames pitches very well, blocks wild pitches, doesn't let balls pass, throws base runners out, and calls games so well that Homer Bailey has 2 no-hitters with him. He gets on base more than Lobaton (wayy more than Molina), and is really good vs LHP. All in all, he's gonna be a huge upgrade at the Catcher position. He should take over primary duties, with Molina now serving as the backup.

Now for Heath Bell. I think this pick up is risky (financially) considering our salary situation. He's not a cheap reliever, but could be worth the price if he performs anywhere close to his '07-'11 seasons. Miami and Arizona are paying part of his checks to play for us this year, leaving us with $5.5M of his $9M salary. I think the closer position is his to lose at this point, but the Rays will make sure he does not close more than 54 games. He has a contract option for '15 at $9M that gets picked up if he closes 55 games. I think we all know the Rays aren't planning on paying that, no matter how well he performs this year.

All that said, I think our team got a lot better yesterday. Now all we need is a first baseman. Not sure we can afford Loney, but we'll see.

I really think we'll be on top of the AL East next year with the way things look right now. We're getting better, Red Sox are getting worse, and the Yankees are a mess.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by craig01 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 2:06 am

I think both pick ups are insurance deals. I would hope Loboton is still in their plans.

Rodney may be flaming out, being a one year wonder, and I don't think Molina has much gas left in the tank and the Rays know it.

Defensively, Molina was not good last year and is near useless at the plate. I would not mind him finding a new home next year. I didn't really get the signing.....

Bell has seen his best days, but might add some depth at the end of games if Rodney continues to be unable to throw strikes.

The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#19 » by The Real Dalic » Fri Dec 6, 2013 6:50 am

Kelly Johnson signed with the Yanks. That sucks. I liked him here and was hoping we could re-sign him. But I wish him well.
MagicRays
Junior

Post#20 » by MagicRays » Mon Dec 9, 2013 2:25 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:Kelly Johnson signed with the Yanks. That sucks. I liked him here and was hoping we could re-sign him. But I wish him well.

I think it was the month of May last season when he was just crushing everything. He was streaky and unfortunately not hitting well in Sept/Oct, but the defensive flexibility was nice. I'm not sure if the Yanks want him at 2B full time with Cano gone, or a possible 3B ARod replacement/backup. They certainly don't need him in the outfield now with 6 headline names there (beltran, ichiro, granderson, gardner, wells, soriano). Maybe Soriano plays 2B, and KJ at 3B? KJ filled in at 3B a few times for us last year. I was extremely nervous the first time he played it, but he wasn't horrible. He'll need a lot of practice if he sticks there with them.

Regardless of how much offense they buy, I'll hit against an infield defense of KJ, old man Jeter, old man Soriano and Tex any day. They also have pitching issues to figure out still.

Return to Tampa Bay Rays