Reds' GM expects Oswalt to sign with Rangers

Moderators: Texas Chuck, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,970

Reds' GM expects Oswalt to sign with Rangers 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:25 am

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he hasn't had any contact with Roy Oswalt's agent over the past week.
Jocketty was pretty adamant last week that the Reds weren't a player for Oswalt, so we'll have to take him at his word for now. Interestingly, while ESPN's Jayson Stark reported Friday that the Rangers were out of the mix, Jocketty seems to think otherwise. "I think he's waiting for Texas to clear money," said Jocketty. Of course, if Jocketty hasn't spoken with Oswalt's agents in the past week, it's hard to say he's in the know. The Cardinals and Red Sox remain in the mix for the veteran right-hander, but there's no clear favorite at the moment. http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/0 ... additions/
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 222

Re: Reds' GM expects Oswalt to sign with Rangers 

Post#2 » by cmavswin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:10 pm

Looks like that is not going to happen since the Rangers are now going to keep Uehara.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120221&content_id=26787492&notebook_id=26787834&vkey=notebook_tex&c_id=tex

The Rangers have had trade discussions with other teams about Uehara, but a deal does not appear likely. General manager Jon Daniels said he doesn't have any trades in the works as Texas prepares for Spring Training.

"There are always some deals in the spring, moves here or there," Daniels said Tuesday. "But we're ready to go with this group of guys. I have no moves planned or anything like that."
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#3 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:48 am

I think it's going to be the Red Sox.

Roy Oswalt Could Decide On New Team By Tomorrow
By Mike Axisa [February 22 at 6:16pm CST]

Pitchers and catchers have reported for Spring Training all across the league, but Roy Oswalt remains unemployed. That could change soon, as ESPN's Jim Bowden reports (on Twitter) that the veteran right-hander could make a decision about his next team as soon as tomorrow.

The market for the 34-year-old Oswalt has faded in recent weeks, as several teams have come out and said they don't have interest in signing him. The Red Sox, Rangers, and Cardinals all showed interest in him at one point, but it's unclear if they have offers on the table at the moment. Oswalt could end up being the bargaining of the offseason at this stage of the game. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by cmavswin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:51 am

Ya I am thinking it is either he signs with the sox's or he waits till mid-season and see who is competing and needs a back of the rotation guy.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#5 » by catalyst » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:25 pm

announced yesterday that he was waiting until midseason to sign
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#6 » by HMFFL » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:42 pm

It's probably best to just pass on him all together depending on if we have any starters injured as the season progresses. From what I just read he seems to lack the desire he once had and he just wants to be home. On the other hand, no one is offering him the amount of money he wants.
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by cmavswin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:23 am

To me I would rather have Harrison than Oswalt especially if he wants $10 mil a season.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#8 » by catalyst » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:52 pm

Is he still out there? Will he sign with a team to almost be a deadline deal, or wait until a starter needs Tommy John surgery?

Return to Texas Rangers