ImageImageImageImageImage

ST: Orioles @ Blue Jays Sept 26-28

Moderator: JaysRule15

C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,100

Re: ST: Jays @ Orioles - Sept 15-17 

Post#361 » by C Court » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:36 am

Remember when the Jays were 6.5 games ahead of the O's?
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Rbk_3
Junior
And1: 385

Post#362 » by Rbk_3 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:43 am

Centre Court wrote:Remember when the Jays were 6.5 games ahead of the O's?

Seems like 21 years ago
Rbk_3
Junior

Post#363 » by Rbk_3 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:46 am

Dan2087 wrote:I thought last year was as painful as a season can get. This team never ceases to surprise me

Buddy, it's just getting started. At least many of these guys have a decent NFL team to cheer for.
It's going to be a 6-10 season. Just tank the damn thing so we can get a QB :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Dan2087
2016 "Beat The Commish" Champion
And1: 5,120

Post#364 » by Dan2087 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:19 am

Rbk_3 wrote:
Dan2087 wrote:I thought last year was as painful as a season can get. This team never ceases to surprise me

Buddy, it's just getting started. At least many of these guys have a decent NFL team to cheer for.
It's going to be a 6-10 season. Just tank the damn thing so we can get a QB :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I would be very happy with a 6-10 season given our division and sched. The Raps are all we got man
Dan2087
2016 "Beat The Commish" Champion
And1: 5,120

Post#365 » by Dan2087 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:26 am

s e n s i wrote:

2013 and 2014 aren't even remotely close for me. massive expectations in 2013 only to play relevant baseball up until july en route to a last place finish. last year was by all intents and purposes, an unmitigated disastrous nightmare of a campaign. probably the worst season i've had to endure as a fan of this or any team i support.

at least this season we were treated to semi-competitive and mostly meaningful baseball deep into the season with a bunch of great games in there.

You're probably right - capped off with a Farrell WS win. I think once time passes and I look back on it, nothing will come close to the 2013 season from hell.

Just seeing the ups and downs of this season, the head scratching moves made by management and most recently the O's clinching against us - this season will still go down as one of the worst for me. And I've seen a lot of pitiful seasons between my 4 sports teams, but at least for most of them I had zero expectations.
Rbk_3
Junior

Post#366 » by Rbk_3 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:39 am

Dan2087 wrote:
Rbk_3 wrote:

I would be very happy with a 6-10 season given our division and sched. The Raps are all we got man

If we are destined for 6-10 I'd rather just go 2-14 and get Marriota
Illuminati_
Starter
And1: 346

Post#367 » by Illuminati_ » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:41 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:We've been over our differences on next year's outfield - let's not re-open it here.

Would those differences be involving any of those scrubs in the starting lineup of a MLB team? Because that would be a tremendous mistake as not one of them can hit at this level.

The difference is that I think a Gose/Pillar platoon in CF will be serviceable next year. Not great by any means, but serviceable, and not a big step back - if any - from what Rasmus has provided this year. I've said this multiple times already.

Obviously I'd like them to have a high-calibre player in CF, but if going with a cheap platoon allows them to shore up somewhere else (like retaining Melky, adding a real 2B, adding veteran relief help, then do it. Besides, with younger players you have the possibility - however remote - that one improves significantly and wins the full-time job. I'd say this is more likely for Pillar (< 200 major league PA's) than Gose (500+ major league PA's).

what team trying to win games puts two guys who cant hit in a platoon? pillar is def gone if gose is in the CF scenario. he doesnt hit LHP well enough to justify a platoon.

something clearly went on between rasmus and management for this benching. its not even a question rasmus>gose/pillar. no matter what rogers has toronto media spouting it doesnt change reality here. they can make all the anit rasmus press up dont make it have you oblivious to their short comings.

if rasmus is gone money needs to be spent to upgrade CF and 2b.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,100

Post#368 » by C Court » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:22 am

With 12 games left, the Jays are 5 back of the wild card - tied with Cleveland.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#369 » by Santoki » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:34 am

Centre Court wrote:With 12 games left, the Jays are 5 back of the wild card - tied with Cleveland.

I know every team says this, but you can't help but feel this team could have added three more wins to it by acquiring players at the deadline or management not giving up on it a month ago. They could at least be at 80 wins and a couple back in the wildcard. Giving up on the season before mathematically being out of it is what the fans do, not management. The craziest part is this year they quit on us first. That's pretty tough to accomplish considering our track record and completely indefensible.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,403

Post#370 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:22 pm

Illuminati_ wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Would those differences be involving any of those scrubs in the starting lineup of a MLB team? Because that would be a tremendous mistake as not one of them can hit at this level.

The difference is that I think a Gose/Pillar platoon in CF will be serviceable next year. Not great by any means, but serviceable, and not a big step back - if any - from what Rasmus has provided this year. I've said this multiple times already.

Obviously I'd like them to have a high-calibre player in CF, but if going with a cheap platoon allows them to shore up somewhere else (like retaining Melky, adding a real 2B, adding veteran relief help, then do it. Besides, with younger players you have the possibility - however remote - that one improves significantly and wins the full-time job. I'd say this is more likely for Pillar (< 200 major league PA's) than Gose (500+ major league PA's).

they can make all the anit rasmus press up dont make it have you oblivious to their short comings.

No one is oblivious to Pillar and Gose's current shortcomings. And again, in a world where the Jays had unlimited funds - or knew how to spend it more effectively - I'd want a full-time, high-calibre CF too. In reality, I'm prepared to live with their good defence/good speed/bad hitting next year so that we can upgrade elsewhere.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#371 » by Yosemite Dan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:25 pm

Doesn't Jed Clampett have a kicker in his contract that if he isn't canned by November then he's guaranteed money for an extra year as in if he isn't fired in the next 2 months his contract gets extended through the 2016 season? If he isn't let go soon then we're stuck with him through the 2015 season at the very least no matter how bad thier record because there is no way AA will want to pay him more than a year's salary if he wants to hire a new manager.

AA is an idiot giving Gibbons any clauses in his contract. Gibbons was ecstatic that any team would hire him in the major leagues and thought he was getting a bench job at best when AA called him. All you had to do was offer him a Costco size box of Twinkies as incentive and he would have signed because judging from the last month it's readily apparent Gibbons has very little backbone.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#372 » by Michael Bradley » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:12 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:
Michael Bradley wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:
Yeah, Gibbons has been pretty bad the last month. I was generally happy with his performance for the first 4-5- months of the year, but it's like someone flipped a switch.

I'm usually not harsh on Gibbons, as he has shown a knowledge of platoons and situations, and outside of that there really isn't that much a manager can control, but he has been terrible the last two months. Like, really terrible. John Farrell terrible. The fact that he is showing no regard for Hutchison, while at the same time packing it in with his lineups is insane to me.

I'm hoping he is scapegoated, because while it isn't entirely his fault, he should have shown some backbone and played better lineups rather than bend over in front of Alex. I know he was saving his job, and all of us probably would have done the same, but I can't imagine someone like Showalter or Francona or whoever doing that. Which might explain why the Jays keep hiring him.

Gibby was definitely hired to be an AA lapdog. AA got bit by Farrell, and went to the well for an undeniably loyal/obedient manager.

In my view someone is going to take the fall for the last two seasons with no playoff baseball. Indications are that AA's job is secure, so my bet is it will be either Gibby or Pete Walker.

I don't mind Hutch continuing to start, but I agree that keeping him out there for 110+ at this point in the season is lunacy, especially considering we're out of it and have a zillion arms - including young "prospecty" arms - in the pen we'd all like to get a better look at.

I think if anyone takes the fall it will be Gibbons. Walker could have been a fall guy last year but the pitching has been at least average this season, so no one is going to look at the pitching coach. Then again, Mottola was fired last season so who knows.

The Hutchison thing aggravates me because it shows a lack of cautiousness and foresight. They don't care that his previous career high in innings was 140 three years ago, and that he basically missed two seasons due to surgery. They assume that as long as his arm is still attached to his body, that he can still pitch. It may not hurt him this season, or at all, but it's taking a risk for no reason. They didn't even limit his innings early in the year. They just think 200 IP post surgery is acceptable when every other organization takes a more cautious route, at least the good ones do.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#373 » by Michael Bradley » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:27 pm

I think in a best case scenario Gose ends up providing value like Jarrod Dyson on the Royals (defense and base running), but his second half nosedive offensively (his walk rate in particular) is not a good sign. He is providing a 1.1 WAR in half a season. He's not Pillar/Goins level of bad. He provides some value at least. I've already accepted that he will be the CF next season. They just have to put more offense around him, which I don't think they will, unfortunately.
hst420
Pro Prospect
And1: 429

Post#374 » by hst420 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:08 pm

21 straight seasons of complete irrelevancy. Fire everyone.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,554

Post#375 » by s e n s i » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:02 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShiDavidi/status/512328849368309760[/tweet]
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
El Bow
Pro Prospect
And1: 667

Post#376 » by El Bow » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:06 pm

s e n s i wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShiDavidi/status/512328849368309760[/tweet]

Well there goes our best pinch runner :-?
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#377 » by Santoki » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:09 pm

s e n s i wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShiDavidi/status/512328849368309760[/tweet]

How long does the appeal process usually take? Hypothetically, if there are 4 games left in the season when the appeal is upheld (which it probably will be) and he doesn't have another start, they could just make him the 3rd starter in the rotation next year and avoid the suspension completely.

If not and he has to miss his last start, who do you give it to?
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,554

Post#378 » by s e n s i » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:13 pm

not disputing the suspension or defending stroman for going upstairs on joseph, and i hate to be that guy, but loup actually hit a batter yesterday up and in and o'day beaned bautista (on the 2nd pitch of the AB lol) as retribution for that. neither will likely get suspended. stroman didn't hit joseph, and there's really no way of knowing whether he intended to hit him below the neck and just missed badly or if he actually went head hunting. stroman gets six games for wild ball near the head but you can actually attempt to hit a batter and be successful, but as long as it's not upstairs then you won't have to face any sort of consequence? and caleb joseph is the saint in all of this even though stepping on home plate if not intentional, was at the very least careless and could've ended reyes season right there. i don't know, it doesn't add up for me. i think my point is, **** the orioles.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#379 » by BigLeagueChew » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:47 pm

SS Jose Reyes (S)
RF Jose Bautista (R)
1B E. Encarnacion (R)
DH Adam Lind (L)
LF John Mayberry (R)
3B M. Kawasaki (L)
C Josh Thole (L)
2B Ryan Goins (L)
CF Anthony Gose (L)
Ku-Bar
Pro Prospect
And1: 475

Post#380 » by Ku-Bar » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:29 pm

interesting positive article on how the Jays starting building something in 2012 offseason and how 2015 might be there year to see those results translating into wins.

I like knowing they are going to offer Melky a contract. The infusion of young prospects from AAA has been a nice shot in the arm. Still need to upgrade the major league roster with more than AAA guys for 2015 though. Again, I'll hopefully there is money Roger is willing to spend aftering it seems stepping up to the plate to try and keep Melky. It won't be enough to just keep this team together. That would be step one. Whoever doesn't come back in free agency that money better damn well be reinvested into the club even if it means over spending. This is what it will take since most of the top prospects have already graduated to the majors this season and Billy Beane isn't walking through that door folks! :)

AA should get a veteran manager too while he's at it... like Ron Washington or someone with more experience than Gibby. Wouldn't an old school manager be a good fit for a team of sluggers? Takes less creativity on the managers part as I don't think suddenly small ball is going to be in play next year with the roster as currently constructed.

P.S. I hear Josh 'the saviour' Johnson will be available next year. bring him home (green font) since nobody here ever likes my Ervin Santana sales pitches.
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Return to Toronto Blue Jays