Moderator: JaysRule15

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Re: Current Depth Chart 

Post#21 » by The_Hater » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:36 pm

bluerap23 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
StopitLeo wrote:I can live with Bautista's short comings defensively because of what he can do at the plate (and I expect a lot if he stays healthy) but Upton brings nothing to the table. Maybe Pompey will put it all together this year like Pillar did.

Upton is a plus defender who can hit LHP and be used as a pinch runner. As long as he's employed properly, he can be an asset. I would think that they're still looking to add a LH hitting OF who's better than Carrera to platoon with him.

I would like to see Pompey given the chance this year. With our budget constraints we should consider moving Carrera (and Barney). Start Bautista, Pillar and Pompey. Upton can be 4th OF (he is only owed 1 million).

Pompey had a .700 OPS in AAA last season. Not only has he not come close to earning a chance, it would likely be playoff suicide to give 500 AB's at a position where you generally want offense to such a bad player.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Xaos
Sixth Man
And1: 1,854

Post#22 » by Xaos » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:10 pm

Sign Navarro, and trade for a LF and Left handed reliever for the bullpen.
Al_Oliver
Sixth Man
And1: 201

Post#23 » by Al_Oliver » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:15 pm

Xaos wrote:Sign Navarro, and trade for a LF and Left handed reliever for the bullpen.

Surely we can set our sights higher than Dinner?
More likely that Shatkins signs, rather than trades for any further additions. I can't see them giving up prospects to acquire a LF or a reliever. There are still a few options out there like Pagan or Moss and Blevins, Logan and even Wood are all still available to upgrade the bullpen
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,997

Post#24 » by JaysRule15 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:18 pm

If we can't find a backup catcher on the market, I would just give AJ Jimenez a shot. He won't do much with the bat but at least he's a decent defender behind the plate. Plus he's cheap and would let us use our remaining funds on bullpen help (which is a much bigger priority imo).
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#25 » by polo007 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Read on Twitter
ldnk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,522

Post#26 » by ldnk » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:35 pm

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sure, if Smoak suddenly learns how to hit offspeed pitches. Unfortunately that isn't likely.
polo007
General Manager

Post#27 » by polo007 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,572

Post#28 » by bluerap23 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:07 pm

updated

polo007
General Manager

Post#29 » by polo007 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:10 am

Read on Twitter

Graterol was designated for assignment by the Angels on Nov. 22 and then claimed by the Cincinnati Reds on Nov. 28. And then the real fun began.

He was designated for assignment by the Reds in December, and claimed off waivers by the Arizona Diamondbacks on Dec. 24. Arizona designated him for assignment on Jan. 13, after signing Chris Iannetta.

The Angels claimed Graterol off waivers on Jan. 19. The Angels waived Graterol again and the Blue Jays claimed him on Jan. 23. Apparently, all the clubs wanted him but just didn’t have room on the 40-man rosters.

But now the 28-year-old has landed in Dunedin hoping to impress the Jays enough that he might stick around for a while, or at least start the season with Triple-A Buffalo.

“It’s awesome,” said Graterol. “It’s great. When you look at the roster and I see I have the opportunity to play, I said thank to the Blue Jays for giving me the opportunity.”

The 6-foot-1, 205-pound catcher admitted that there were times during the off-season when was getting anxious wondering where he would land next.

“It was crazy you know. I was playing winter ball (in Venezuela) at that time so I just had to concentrate on the games,” he said. “So I just talked to my agent and he said, ‘Don’t be crazy, relax. Just keep going. I know it’s crazy right now. But it’s okay, just relax and keep breathing. Whatever’s going to happen will happen.’”

Graterol put together a .270BA .320OPB .335SLG .655OPS slash line in the minors and is known as a good defensive catcher and good game caller. He’s excited about getting to work with Martin in spring training.

“I asked Russ how he’s been able to be around for so many years (in the Majors) and he said, ‘You know, just be a good teammate, try to help the other guys and if you want to be better, your pitchers have to be better. And always compete. Compete like a winner,’” said Graterol. “I watched him a lot when I was younger. He’s a really good guy and now that I’ve met him, it’s just awesome.”

Toronto manager John Gibbons, a former catcher, has liked what he has seen from Graterol so far.

“He’s a big, strong kid, does a nice job behind the plate, looks good in BP right now so we’ll see how it all plays out,” said Gibbons. “We’re glad to have him. We’ve heard nothing about good things about him."
polo007
General Manager

Post#30 » by polo007 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Read on Twitter
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,806

Post#31 » by Steelo Green » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:25 pm

The_Hater wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Upton is a plus defender who can hit LHP and be used as a pinch runner. As long as he's employed properly, he can be an asset. I would think that they're still looking to add a LH hitting OF who's better than Carrera to platoon with him.

I would like to see Pompey given the chance this year. With our budget constraints we should consider moving Carrera (and Barney). Start Bautista, Pillar and Pompey. Upton can be 4th OF (he is only owed 1 million).

Pompey had a .700 OPS in AAA last season. Not only has he not come close to earning a chance, it would likely be playoff suicide to give 500 AB's at a position where you generally want offense to such a bad player.

He's almost not even discussed at all my any management. They know he's not made out for the big leagues. It happens with so many players. Unfortunate he just can't hit the ball with so many physical gifts.
polo007
General Manager

Post#32 » by polo007 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Read on Twitter

In Toronto, five relievers appear to have spots locked in: Roberto Osuna, Jason Grilli, Joe Biagini, J.P. Howell and Joe Smith. That leaves the likes of Danny Barnes, Aaron Loup, Ryan Tepera, Matt Dermody, Chris Smith, Mike Bolsinger, Bo Schultz, Glenn Sparkman and Mat Latos competing for two open spots.

Complicating matters, Latos has an opt-out at the end of spring training that will allow him to leave if he’s not going to be rostered. Sparkman, a Rule 5 pick, will have to be offered back to the Royals if he doesn’t make the team. Along those lines, Bolsinger and Schultz are out of options and would have to clear waivers if sent to the minor leagues.

“Hopefully I end up on the team,” Schultz said. “I think I’ve proven over the past couple of years that I can at least contribute to this team. If not, if they don’t see me in that plan, hopefully another team gives me an opportunity.”

Generally speaking, teams give out of options players a long look to preserve organizational depth.

“All of that stuff comes into play,” Walker said. “That’s baseball. I think everybody knows that in that locker room, yet we still want to break with our best, so the guys that are sharpest and throwing the best certainly would get the edge.”

There’s still a lot of time ahead to make an impression. With more than a month of spring training games remaining, Walker plans to watch closely with the long view in mind.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#33 » by I_Like_Dirt » Thu Mar 2, 2017 3:33 pm

ldnk wrote:Sure, if Smoak suddenly learns how to hit offspeed pitches. Unfortunately that isn't likely.

Nah, Atkins is 100% positive that MLB is about to make offspeed pitches illegal in 2017 just totally out of the blue, because it's unfair to hitters like Smoak to have to worry about if they should swing or not while also considering possible different speeds and movements of pitches.
Bucket! Bucket!
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,497

Post#34 » by dagger » Thu Mar 2, 2017 7:09 pm

Read on Twitter
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#35 » by SharoneWright » Thu Mar 2, 2017 7:11 pm

dagger wrote:
Read on Twitter

We're obviously doing pitcher's fielding practice wrong...
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#36 » by Schad » Fri Mar 3, 2017 7:37 am

That's actually a godsend for the team, if Sparkman was on the bubble. They can DL him rather than offer him back to the Royals and put off the decision for a few weeks.
**** your asterisk.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,730

Post#37 » by Duffman100 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 6:49 pm

Brett Lawrie anyone? Just got released by the White Sox. Might not be a bad backup 3B, 2B, LF. 723 OPS, still 26 years old.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#38 » by BigLeagueChew » Fri Mar 3, 2017 7:15 pm

He's a bit too high strung for me, way too many redbulls.
super_balls
Starter
And1: 1,837

Post#39 » by super_balls » Fri Mar 3, 2017 7:19 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Brett Lawrie anyone? Just got released by the White Sox. Might not be a bad backup 3B, 2B, LF. 723 OPS, still 26 years old.

#BRINGHIMHOME
phillipmike
Rookie
And1: 1,229

Post#40 » by phillipmike » Fri Mar 3, 2017 7:29 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Brett Lawrie anyone? Just got released by the White Sox. Might not be a bad backup 3B, 2B, LF. 723 OPS, still 26 years old.

I would take him over zeke and Smoak easily. Can play 3B if JD is hurt, 2B if Travis is hurt, can play 1B and i am sure he is athletic enough to play LF.

Though he has to rebuild value so i think he goes to a team where he can get as many PAs as possible. Maybe he tries to go back on the West Coast? Or Mets for 3B with Wright injured. Have to think he is better than Reyes at 3B. Screw Panda and Boston makes a run? Tigers? Giants? Braves?

Return to Toronto Blue Jays