ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Yu Darvish Plans To Play In MLB In 2012

Moderator: JaysRule15

Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Re: OT: Yu Darvish Plans To Play In MLB In 2012 

Post#61 » by Wo1verine » Sun Sep 4, 2011 10:37 pm

Yankees have scouted him heavily and with the way Hughes and Burnett have pitched this season, it's probably a good bet the Yankees will acquire him in the off-season.
BrunoSkull
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,323

Post#62 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Sep 5, 2011 1:09 am

RaptorsInsider1 wrote:Yankees have scouted him heavily and with the way Hughes and Burnett have pitched this season, it's probably a good bet the Yankees will acquire him in the off-season.

It's not like the Jays aren't capable of outbidding the Yankees if they want to.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#63 » by 5DOM » Mon Sep 5, 2011 3:29 pm

So how does this whole thing work? Let's say we win the auction and get the exclusive negotiating right. But what if Darvish says no? Would he then have to stay in Japan or would he start negotiating with the second highest bidder? So I guess my question is does his preference of the MLB team even matter?
sonn
Senior
And1: 4

Post#64 » by sonn » Mon Sep 5, 2011 4:07 pm

5DOM wrote:So how does this whole thing work? Let's say we win the auction and get the exclusive negotiating right. But what if Darvish says no? Would he then have to stay in Japan or would he start negotiating with the second highest bidder? So I guess my question is does his preference of the MLB team even matter?

He goes back to Japan. Only the team with the winning bid can negotiate with him.
Parthenon
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#65 » by Parthenon » Tue Sep 6, 2011 12:11 am

So if he returns to Japan, he'll just play there and the process will repeat again next off-season? That's pretty lame in my opinion.
Wo1verine

Post#66 » by Wo1verine » Tue Sep 6, 2011 12:54 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
RaptorsInsider1 wrote:Yankees have scouted him heavily and with the way Hughes and Burnett have pitched this season, it's probably a good bet the Yankees will acquire him in the off-season.

It's not like the Jays aren't capable of outbidding the Yankees if they want to.

I have a hard time believing the blue birds will pay close to 100MM total for a player who hasn't started a single game in the majors. in fact, i don't think they'll ever give a player 100MM again after what happened with Wells, I hope i am wrong though.
BrunoSkull
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#67 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Sep 6, 2011 1:26 am

RaptorsInsider1 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

I have a hard time believing the blue birds will pay close to 100MM total for a player who hasn't started a single game in the majors. in fact, i don't think they'll ever give a player 100MM again after what happened with Wells, I hope i am wrong though.

The Jays know how expensive Darvish is and yet they sent their two most influential executives all the way to Japan to see the guy. If that doesn't tell you that they're serious about getting him (and serious about spending the money to get him), I don't know what will.

They were planning to give $30M to Aroldis Chapman recently, so money certainly wasn't an issue there for a "player who hasn't started a single game in the majors." If AA badly wants Darvish in this organization, there's a significant chance that they'll get him.
Weems
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#68 » by Weems » Tue Sep 6, 2011 1:31 am

The scarcity of high quality SP available should play a factor in what the Yankees spend. They can still outspend us.

2012: Darvish, Wilson, maybe Jackson... whatever

Shields, Wandy are potential trade candidates. Sabathia may opt out, but he'll remain with the Yankees. I think I remember Sabathia demanding help in the rotation, too, so maybe that'll necessitate the Yankees to do something else. Weaver would've been someone they coveted but he's off the table now.

2013: Greinke, Hamels, Marcum, maybe Anibal Sanchez, Cain, Danks... I still wouldn't touch Cain even though he's improved his GB%. Danks is iffy. Marcum is a risk. Greinke wouldn't play in the AL East.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#69 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Sep 6, 2011 1:39 am

The Jays can outspend anybody they want to on Darvish, including the Yankees. This is Rogers Communications we're talking about. Money is only an issue if they choose to make it an issue.
Weems
Sixth Man

Post#70 » by Weems » Tue Sep 6, 2011 2:14 am

I don't think they can outspend them. I'm sure we have our limits, and the Yankees can surpass them. I'm under the assumption that they have to maintain their status quo, that money is an issue.
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#71 » by Homer Jay » Tue Sep 6, 2011 2:31 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:The Jays can outspend anybody they want to on Darvish, including the Yankees. This is Rogers Communications we're talking about. Money is only an issue if they choose to make it an issue.

I think the NY fans could be an ally here. After Irabu, Matsui and especially Igawa they might be leery of Japanese talent and push for the team to get established major leaguers in there. I would worry more about the Yanks in bidding for C.J. Wilson.
LBJSeizedMyID
Sixth Man
And1: 96

Post#72 » by LBJSeizedMyID » Tue Sep 6, 2011 4:58 pm

Homer Jay wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:The Jays can outspend anybody they want to on Darvish, including the Yankees. This is Rogers Communications we're talking about. Money is only an issue if they choose to make it an issue.

I think the NY fans could be an ally here. After Irabu, Matsui and especially Igawa they might be leery of Japanese talent and push for the team to get established major leaguers in there. I would worry more about the Yanks in bidding for C.J. Wilson.

Possibly, or they could see it as a huge investment in terms of jersey sales, ad revenue, etc. Which is probably the one way the Yanks could push Darvish their way. If he isn't the type that wants the fame and glory, then perhaps A.A. can work his magic.
HG
Rookie
And1: 118

Post#73 » by HG » Fri Sep 9, 2011 9:20 pm

Homer Jay wrote: think the NY fans could be an ally here. After Irabu, Matsui and especially Igawa they might be leery of Japanese talent and push for the team to get established major leaguers in there. I would worry more about the Yanks in bidding for C.J. Wilson.

Matsui was quite good for NY, so that may have redeemed japanese players in the eyes of the bronx faithful slightly. He was unreal in those 09 playoffs.
Weems
Sixth Man

Post#74 » by Weems » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:02 am

Why would teams be cautious in the pursuit of Darvish? There's no reason for skepticism unless there's a workload issue or something else glaring.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#75 » by Skin Blues » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Pretty much any team in the majors can afford to spend the money, it's whether or not they think they can make it back in revenue that is the issue.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#76 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:20 pm

Skin Blues wrote:

Pretty much any team in the majors can afford to spend the money, it's whether or not they think they can make it back in revenue that is the issue.

Not every team can afford to spend $100M on a Japanese pitcher. In fact, I would say the majority can't and won't bother bidding.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#77 » by Skin Blues » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:35 pm

In most cases it's not because they don't have $100M. It's because they won't make a profit on the investment.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#78 » by OldNo7 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:35 pm

Buster Olney indicated in today's column that "within the industry" it is believed Toronto is the front runner for Darvish.
Twitter: @NickObergan
Wo1verine

Post#79 » by Wo1verine » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:49 pm

The SP is crap this year in free agency, I rather use the loot potentially spent on Darvish, and put it towards a BIG TIME bat.
BrunoSkull
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#80 » by dagger » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:25 pm

RaptorsInsider1 wrote:The SP is crap this year in free agency, I rather use the loot potentially spent on Darvish, and put it towards a BIG TIME bat.

Pretty much my feeling. There are some proven big-time bats who can also sell more tickets than Darvish. Although with my level of disdain for Rogers, I'd be pleasantly surprised at anything that appears to accelerate a playoff drive.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER

Return to Toronto Blue Jays