ImageImageImageImageImage

2012 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread

Moderator: JaysRule15

flatjacket1
Analyst
And1: 66

Re: 2012 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#121 » by flatjacket1 » Sun Apr 8, 2012 2:16 am

vaff87 wrote:Yeah, I know. But it will be interesting what they do in the middle infield, especially with KJ being a FA after the year. They might want to see what Hech can provide them, to know if it's a good idea to go into next year with Hech and Escobar as the middle-infield. But there could be any number of ways the middle-infield situation plays out, really.

It will be a very interesting situation next year, that's all I have to say. We have exciting competitions next season. Colby and Gose, D'Arnaud and JPA, and various pitchers and Hech.
Avp115 wrote:Bautista>>Mike Trout and Kendrick
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#122 » by vaff87 » Sun Apr 8, 2012 2:25 am

flatjacket1 wrote:
vaff87 wrote:Yeah, I know. But it will be interesting what they do in the middle infield, especially with KJ being a FA after the year. They might want to see what Hech can provide them, to know if it's a good idea to go into next year with Hech and Escobar as the middle-infield. But there could be any number of ways the middle-infield situation plays out, really.

It will be a very interesting situation next year, that's all I have to say. We have exciting competitions next season. Colby and Gose, D'Arnaud and JPA, and various pitchers and Hech.

I guess having too many capable players is certainly better than not having enough :lol:
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#123 » by Schad » Sun Apr 8, 2012 3:49 am

Michael Bradley wrote:In Asher's defense, he only gave up one extra base hit (a double). McGuire definitely got hammered. John Wasdin would wince at Deck's line today.

It`s the sort of line he put up with regularity earlier last season, as well...tonne of hits, few for extra-bases. Still no idea what we have there. And yeah, surrendering 5 HRs in 5 IP isn`t really the way to calm fears that you`re a launching pad.

Also, screw MiLB for changing the perfectly serviceable and ugly format that they`ve had for some time. The new format might be easier for people looking for pointless things like standings, but I can no longer just scroll through their handy dropdown opening tabs with all the box scores. It`s, like, ten extra clicks, you bastards!
**** your asterisk.
WpgPage
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#124 » by WpgPage » Sun Apr 8, 2012 4:59 am

I think the Jays are really going to regret not taking Kolton Wong, this kid is the real deal. He can hit.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#125 » by Schad » Sun Apr 8, 2012 5:37 am

WpgPage wrote:I think the Jays are really going to regret not taking Kolton Wong, this kid is the real deal. He can hit.

I didn`t think highly of him at all coming out of college (as in, I was deathly afraid that the Jays would take him), but he has certainly impressed. Still not totally convinced that he`ll be an above-average hitter in the bigs, but he`s heading in that direction.
**** your asterisk.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,324

Post#126 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Apr 8, 2012 7:55 am

Schadenfreude wrote:Also, screw MiLB for changing the perfectly serviceable and ugly format that they`ve had for some time. The new format might be easier for people looking for pointless things like standings, but I can no longer just scroll through their handy dropdown opening tabs with all the box scores. It`s, like, ten extra clicks, you bastards!

Agreed. Don't know what they were thinking.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,410

Post#127 » by Lateral Quicks » Sun Apr 8, 2012 2:58 pm

Anyone have a scouting report on Robert Coello? His striking out the side for Vegas last night prompted me to look at his numbers and they look pretty damn good for a guy who's had no more than a cup of coffee so far in the majors. No room for him on the big club right now of course, but I'm curious...
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
soulchild_07
Junior
And1: 156

Post#128 » by soulchild_07 » Sun Apr 8, 2012 7:42 pm

Travis Snider has not been in the lineup yesterday or today, anybody know what happened?
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#129 » by flatjacket1 » Sun Apr 8, 2012 7:58 pm

soulchild_07 wrote:Travis Snider has not been in the lineup yesterday or today, anybody know what happened?

I believe it is something to do with his finger, and I know it's not serious and he should be back soon.
soulchild_07
Junior
And1: 156

Post#130 » by soulchild_07 » Mon Apr 9, 2012 2:25 am

Thanks, appreciate the response, I googled it and went to the 51's website couldn't find anything.
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#131 » by flatjacket1 » Mon Apr 9, 2012 2:27 am

soulchild_07 wrote:Thanks, appreciate the response, I googled it and went to the 51's website couldn't find anything.

It is funny, they didn't really tell anybody about it. Only reason I heard it is because I was watching the broadcast and the announcers mentioned it.
Kapono
Bench Warmer
And1: 299

Post#132 » by Kapono » Mon Apr 9, 2012 3:24 am

I really hope Hech has a great season in the minors and that the Jays sell high on him. I do not believe in his bat.
Alex Anthopoulos - styling on Major League Baseball since 2009
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#133 » by flatjacket1 » Mon Apr 9, 2012 3:35 am

Kapono wrote:I really hope Hech has a great season in the minors and that the Jays sell high on him. I do not believe in his bat.

I was of the similar mind set, but after watching him a few games hes decent at the plate. As I said earlier in the thread, aggressive approach, but good eye. He doesn't chase much.

It's too early to tell but he's conducting himself well so far. I'm indifferent to trading him, I think LD hitters and Vegas tends to be a potent mix, so I'm confident he will put up numbers and get some talent back. Defense tends to be overvalued and so do prospects so a defensive prospect that learned how to hit could fetch us something nasty.

If he walks over 8% and doesn't strike out much, maybe we should consider giving him a chance at 2B? For those who don't know he already played a game at 2B in Vegas, and even though they say it's just "in case Kelly gets injured" I really don't believe it. I think hes being groomed to replace Kelly next season.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,410

Post#134 » by Lateral Quicks » Mon Apr 9, 2012 1:56 pm

I actually think the Jays are being honest about Hech playing second in case Kelly gets injured this year. It would be a travesty to put one of the best defensive SS's in the game at 2B. More likely is Escobar moves to 2B. Of course, if Escobar continues to forget how to hit, that won't be an issue.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#135 » by Relentless88 » Mon Apr 9, 2012 5:40 pm

I believe Cecil is pitching today.
LBJSeizedMyID
Sixth Man
And1: 96

Post#136 » by LBJSeizedMyID » Mon Apr 9, 2012 5:43 pm

Kapono wrote:I really hope Hech has a great season in the minors and that the Jays sell high on him. I do not believe in his bat.

So you're saying you hope Hech takes another step forward like he's shown thus far, but you will continue to not believe?
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#137 » by vaff87 » Mon Apr 9, 2012 6:06 pm

LBJSeizedMyID wrote:

So you're saying you hope Hech takes another step forward like he's shown thus far, but you will continue to not believe?

I think there are some people who won't believe in Hech's hitting ability, no matter what he does. I think it's the same reason people still think Travis Snider will put up an MVP level season, "if only he was given a chance". In baseball it seems, once an opinion is formed, for some people it's hard to change that.
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#138 » by flatjacket1 » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:31 pm

I used to hate Hech but after watching him, hes doing good.

Again, it's worth noting that we faced 4 pitchers on Sacramento that all could be #1 starters on their own team in this league. I'm pretty sure their #1 guy last year is now a #3 guy, due to trades and such. Also the catcher behind the plate is new. The crazy thing is that even in less games player, Sacramento should be slated to win 90/95 games this season as last season they won 88 with half the talent. They won the division like 5 years straight. This is like the Yankees lineup with the Phillies rotation, AAA style.

Based on this, the fact that Hech hit the ball hard and gotten on base is damn impressive. He made an error or two but that was because he was playing second, he absolutely dazzled at times at SS. I used to think it was all glove and no bat but hes been looking great. 3K's in 3 games isn't the best but again they faced the best rotation in AAA. He managed to walk once as well.

EDIT: Hech just worked an 0-2 count to a 3-2 count then hit a line drive single.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#139 » by Schad » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:32 am

In small miracles, Kenny Wilson hit a HR for Lansing today, his first since 2009.
In larger miracles, Kenny Wilson is still on a roster somewhere.

3 hitless IP with 5 Ks for Nicolino with the Lugnuts, 3 IP with 4 Ks, 2 walks and a hit for Sanchez. Chris Hawkins with a HR, his third XBH.

Knecht went 2-4 with two doubles and a walk in Dunedin, Marisnick 2-4 with a double and a walk. Sam Dyson had a decent but unspectacular first professional start, giving up 4 runs (3 earned) over 6 IP, 4:0 K:BB and no walks. If his arm is up to it, he could move pretty quickly...he's nearly 24.
**** your asterisk.
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#140 » by flatjacket1 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:58 am

Oh come on, first AB for D'Arnaud he hits a laser and it gets caught, now he splits the OF and the guy makes a Colby Rasmus type diving catch.

This is garbage. I wonder what his BABIP is?

Return to Toronto Blue Jays