2012 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread

Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,047

Re: 2012 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#271 » by Schad » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:02 am

Blah doesn't quite cover it; starting Chavez is wretch-worthy, if it comes to that. Worse than Laffey. Quite surprised that we're not going with Carreno, and I'd be stunned if it's Hutch.
**** your asterisk.
flatjacket1
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#272 » by flatjacket1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:06 am

Schadenfreude wrote:Blah doesn't quite cover it; starting Chavez is wretch-worthy, if it comes to that. Worse than Laffey. Quite surprised that we're not going with Carreno, and I'd be stunned if it's Hutch.

Apparently Carreno was going deep into counts in LV, which scares AA for some reason. Chavez isn't terrible, better than Laffey for sure.
Avp115 wrote:Bautista>>Mike Trout and Kendrick
There There
Veteran
And1: 201

Post#273 » by There There » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:40 am

flatjacket1 wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:Blah doesn't quite cover it; starting Chavez is wretch-worthy, if it comes to that. Worse than Laffey. Quite surprised that we're not going with Carreno, and I'd be stunned if it's Hutch.

Apparently Carreno was going deep into counts in LV, which scares AA for some reason. Chavez isn't terrible, better than Laffey for sure.

You cannot be serious

Chavez is likely a much worse option than Laffey.

He has made four starts since 2005, three of them this year. He has been mediorce to awful as a reliever. He would be the 2012 right handed version of Dana Eveland and Jo-Jo Reyes.

If Chavez is starting for this team, Anthopolous has lost his **** mind.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,047

Post#274 » by Schad » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:50 am

flatjacket1 wrote:

Chavez is unquestionably terrible. His xFIP is a little better than Laffey's, but that's because xFIP takes one look at his insane HR rate and says "holy ****, there's no possible way that's sustainable." But then you look at the fact that he's a power pitcher who has surrendered 1.0 HR/9 over his past 150 IP in the minors, and you realize that yeah, it's quite possible that it is in fact sustainable.
**** your asterisk.
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#275 » by Trilogy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:55 am

I don't get why a guy like Chavez is getting a look, if they are going the stop gap route it makes more sense to let either Villanueva or Perez start and keeping Evan Crawford in the pen.
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#276 » by satyr9 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Trilogy wrote:I don't get why a guy like Chavez is getting a look, if they are going the stop gap route it makes more sense to let either Villanueva or Perez start and keeping Evan Crawford in the pen.

Well, I think if either was the plan there would've been a conditioning stint or something by now to try and stretch them out a bit, but I wonder if they might consider something like what they're doing in the low minors and for the one start on Saturday let Villanueva and Perez go 3 each and get Carreno for the next one. I'd say there's almost zero chance of that happening, but I'm not certain that wouldn't be a stronger move than rushing Hutch or calling up Chavez. It could potentially wreak a bit of havoc on the rest of the 'pen though as they'd need recovery time.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,359

Post#277 » by Lateral Quicks » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:08 pm

At this point I'd be surprised if it wasn't Hutch. Farrell loves him, and AA has publicly stated that a promotion wouldn't hinder his progression (ala Alvarez's early promotion). They also don't want a stopgap, and that's precisely what Chavez (who?) would be.

Personally I thought Carreno did well enough to deserve another shot, but as of now I believe Hutch is the better starter.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Al_Oliver
Sixth Man

Post#278 » by Al_Oliver » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:10 pm

satyr9 wrote:
Trilogy wrote:I don't get why a guy like Chavez is getting a look, if they are going the stop gap route it makes more sense to let either Villanueva or Perez start and keeping Evan Crawford in the pen.

Well, I think if either was the plan there would've been a conditioning stint or something by now to try and stretch them out a bit, but I wonder if they might consider something like what they're doing in the low minors and for the one start on Saturday let Villanueva and Perez go 3 each and get Carreno for the next one. I'd say there's almost zero chance of that happening, but I'm not certain that wouldn't be a stronger move than rushing Hutch or calling up Chavez. It could potentially wreak a bit of havoc on the rest of the 'pen though as they'd need recovery time.

The best option was Carreno, not sure why they had him start in Vegas last night. Makes far more sense to have him go and not change other players' roles
LBJSeizedMyID
Sixth Man
And1: 96

Post#279 » by LBJSeizedMyID » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Agree with this. How many days between starts for Villanueva? They can't fit him anywhere, here's a perfect situation.
jim todd
Sixth Man
And1: 370

Post#280 » by jim todd » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Like everyone else, I'm surprised it won't be Carreno. At the same time, I'd love to see Hutch in action.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,884

Post#281 » by Michael Bradley » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:11 pm

If the Jays were willing to use a stop-gap 5th starter with McGowan injured I think they probably would have gone with Cecil or Laffey right out of the gate. If I were a betting man, I'd say Hutchison will get the nod.
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#282 » by satyr9 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Al_Oliver wrote:The best option was Carreno, not sure why they had him start in Vegas last night. Makes far more sense to have him go and not change other players' roles

Well I'm actually quite happy if they identified something they didn't like about his mechanics (non-repeating delivery I think I) and want to work on getting things right rather than going on his results and hoping he'll continue to be okay.

Really the Laffey up and down that keeps him from being eligible to return in time is the one that I don't get. Not that I'm in a tearing hurry to watch Laffey pitch for the Jays, but this seems to be exactly the situation he was signed for. It's not like they didn't know when they needed a 5th again.
flatjacket1
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#283 » by flatjacket1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:20 pm

satyr9 wrote:Really the Laffey up and down that keeps him from being eligible to return in time is the one that I don't get. Not that I'm in a tearing hurry to watch Laffey pitch for the Jays, but this seems to be exactly the situation he was signed for. It's not like they didn't know when they needed a 5th again.

I completely agree with this. Although I don't like the idea of Laffey, why shoot yourself in the foot and not allow yourself at least the option. It seems like either a rookie mistake or somehow a planned move?

I don't know.
Avp115 wrote:Bautista>>Mike Trout and Kendrick
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#284 » by vaff87 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:15 am

Nicolino, Sanchez, and Syndergaard have now combined for 27 innings, 15 hits, 9 walks, 35 strike outs, and 0 runs, by my count.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst
And1: 647

Post#285 » by Graham's Cracker » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:34 am

Danny Barnes blows his first save at Dunedin this year. He gave up an uncharacteristic 4 walks in two-thirds.

Woj had a good start though. 6 IP 6 Hits 1 ER 1 BB

Crouse and Knecht have both thrown a runner out at the plate.

Marisnick has two hits including a 2B, has a SB too, his fourth.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#286 » by Graham's Cracker » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:53 am

Marisnick got his third hit in the 9th a single and walkoff RBI to win the game.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#287 » by Graham's Cracker » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:54 am

D'Arnaud has his first HR of the season.

Sierra has his 4th and Snider is continuing to get it done 2-3 (Has a hit in all 12 games to start the season) with a BB, RBI, 2 runs scored and a SB. Footsteps Mr. Thames.
Wally West
Starter
And1: 329

Post#288 » by Wally West » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:58 am

With Hutchison now promoted to the Blue Jays, I wonder who gets promoted to Double A soon.
Want: Trae Young, Michael Porter Jr., DeAndre Ayton, Jaren Jackson Jr, Marvin Bagley III, Mohamad Bamba, Shai Gilgeous- Alexander, Elie Okobo, Jevon Carter
Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#289 » by Graham's Cracker » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:01 am

blackflash234 wrote:With Hutchison now promoted to the Blue Jays, I wonder who gets promoted to Double A soon.

Asher? He's had back-to-back good starts and a full season in A+.
Al_Oliver
Sixth Man

Post#290 » by Al_Oliver » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:31 pm

satyr9 wrote:
Al_Oliver wrote:The best option was Carreno, not sure why they had him start in Vegas last night. Makes far more sense to have him go and not change other players' roles

Well I'm actually quite happy if they identified something they didn't like about his mechanics (non-repeating delivery I think I) and want to work on getting things right rather than going on his results and hoping he'll continue to be okay.

Really the Laffey up and down that keeps him from being eligible to return in time is the one that I don't get. Not that I'm in a tearing hurry to watch Laffey pitch for the Jays, but this seems to be exactly the situation he was signed for. It's not like they didn't know when they needed a 5th again.

Good point, do you think that is that what happened?
Now that Hutch seems to be getting the start, I have no problem with the move they made...

Return to Toronto Blue Jays