Rosenthal: Jays, Mets trade may be expanding beyond Dickey

Moderator: JaysRule15

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Re: Rosenthal: Jays, Mets trade may be expanding beyond Dick 

Post#541 » by dagger » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:06 pm

John Lott ‏@LottOnBaseball
Speaking of Dickey deal on The Fan 590 radio, @MartinoNYDN says: "It would almost take a snag for it not to go through."
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#542 » by Pchu » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Richard Griffin ‏@RGriffinStar

If #bluejays are to include d'Arnaud and Gose for Dickey they need to have him signed for the two-year extension, plus a top #mets prospect.
TR50
General Manager
And1: 1,211

Re: Blue Jays "serious suitors" for R.A. Dickey 

Post#543 » by TR50 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:25 pm

Hmm, as a coping mechanism as a fan...whose to say JPA won't grow defensively or hit a bit better? Maybe Murphy's rip it and grip it approach held him back a bit and hitting with Mottola again will help JP?

Me just being hopeful.
Pchu
Lead Assistant

Post#544 » by Pchu » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:28 pm

changes wrote:If TDA had no injury problems I would probably be against this deal, but he is pretty injury prone. Maybe AA knows/sees something no one else is in on.

I would prefer this isn't a straight up 1 for 1 deal and try maximize his value but I would be fine with this deal either way, although not "mind blown" by any means.

I think there is something to that. Maybe they know he won't last as a catcher, and that would greatly affect his value.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#545 » by The_Hater » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:39 pm

YogiStewart wrote:The New York Daily News reporter (uggg) on the FAN claims that this deal is moving forward full steam ahead and that, barring some strange snag, it will be done.

Whenever I see a comment like this I can only think that there are a few people out there that actually have some insider information while everyone else just jumps on board late and makes up stuff appear that they're well connected. Where's Marty York when we need him?
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
jaymeister15
RealGM
And1: 1,072

Post#546 » by jaymeister15 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Yosemite Dan wrote:If we give up D'arnaud, this will haunt us for years. And I mean years. I'm stunned that AA is even considering this regardless of how big the deal gets. Maybe AA should dial it in a bit, this isn't fantasy baseball, not every deal has to involve 10 players.

If it did happen to be one for one (or something similar with smaller parts), I don't hate or love it...but, am leaning towards liking it since we are in win now mode. Regardless, I don't see how you can state so definitively that i would haunt us for years. TDA could turn into an all star catcher, a bust, a solid first baseman, or anything in between. The only way it would haunt us for years is if he turns into an all star catcher imo, which is certainly possible but far from a guarantee.
overdose
Analyst
And1: 1,506

Post#547 » by overdose » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1

Been told in NO pemutation is Anthony Goes part of the trade that would send Dickey from #Bluejays to #Mets. But D'Arnaud definitely is in
overdose
Analyst
And1: 1,506

Post#548 » by overdose » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:42 pm

So to repeat, Anthony Gose is NOT part of the trade talks for Dickey. #Bluejays building a package around D'Arnaud. #Mets
Pchu
Lead Assistant

Post#549 » by Pchu » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:43 pm

Yosemite Dan wrote:If we give up D'arnaud, this will haunt us for years. And I mean years. I'm stunned that AA is even considering this regardless of how big the deal gets. Maybe AA should dial it in a bit, this isn't fantasy baseball, not every deal has to involve 10 players.

If the Jays win the world series this year, and TDA becomes an all-star for years to come, would that make it a bad trade for the Jays?

Just curious.
Tyrone Slothrop
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,203

Post#550 » by Tyrone Slothrop » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:44 pm

overdose wrote:

Been told in NO pemutation is Anthony Goes part of the trade that would send Dickey from #Bluejays to #Mets. But D'Arnaud definitely is in

Don't know if I trust this, but this is awesome news.

Edit- I don't think it's awesome that D'Arnaud is definitely in, but from other reports I it seemed that Gose + D'Arnaud was the likely package.
TR50
General Manager

Post#551 » by TR50 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:45 pm

If we aren't giving up Gose, I think that would make a lot more sense and seem more like an AA move.
The_Hater

Post#552 » by The_Hater » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:50 pm

TR50 wrote:Hmm, as a coping mechanism as a fan...whose to say JPA won't grow defensively or hit a bit better?

He probably will improve a little but at the end of the day JPA's ceiling is fairly low while TDA's is quite high.

Still, I think that a lot of Jays fans had significantly higher expectations for JPA when he was tearing about the PCL in 2010. Too bad his plate discipline still stinks.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Back2back2back
Starter
And1: 440

Post#553 » by Back2back2back » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:53 pm

"Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Anthony Gose is NOT part of the trade talks for R.A. Dickey. However, Travis d’Arnaud is."

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/ ... -a-dickey/
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#554 » by dagger » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:54 pm

So if it's d'Arnaud but not Gose, then it's less likely to include additional Mets players or prospects, and more likely to include one or more additional Jays prospects, not necessarily first liners. I come back to guys like Sean Patrick Nolin - who is from Long Island. Heyman mentions Danny Barnes, another Long Islander (he wasn't suggesting Barnes is in the package, just that he would appeal to the NYM fan base). Moises Sierra has nice power and a power arm, and doesn't rank as highly as a prospect as Gose, but still could hit 20 homers on decent average in his ML prime. Deck McGuire as a former first rounder who is likely ticketed for Triple A at some point next season. Chad Jenkins, same thing.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
TR50
General Manager

Post#555 » by TR50 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:55 pm

The_Hater wrote:
TR50 wrote:Hmm, as a coping mechanism as a fan...whose to say JPA won't grow defensively or hit a bit better?

He probably will improve a little but at the end of the day JPA's ceiling is fairly low while TDA's is quite high.

Still, I think that a lot of Jays fans had significantly higher expectations for JPA when he was tearing about the PCL in 2010. Too bad his plate discipline still stinks.

Agreed.

It's just that, although he will probably never ever be an All-Star, if he can still hold his own and be a mainstay at the C position for the unforeseeable future, then trading d'Arnaud (who is super sexy but has his own question marks) may be an easier pill to swallow. Obviously our C depth takes a major hit, but we're not in a horrible position if do deal d'Arnaud (and keep Gose). Plus we have a flyer in Jiminez in the minors as well.

I'm just trying to warm up to the idea of a TDA for Dickey (and smaller parts) swap which I was initially very very hesitant about. It's definitely debatable.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#556 » by Geddy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:58 pm

I personally think that giving up a prospect of TDA caliber for a 38 year old knuckle-baller who has only had one stand out season is a bit much. Oh well looks like it's a done deal and probably won't change now :-?
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
Mad-Eye Moody
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#557 » by Mad-Eye Moody » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:03 pm

I can't believe we might give up TDA for Dickey. Please don't do it AA.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,930

Post#558 » by Ado05 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:04 pm

Why are we "building a package around" D'Arnaud? Shouldnt he be enough? This just leads me to think that there is more than just a Dickey-TDA deal.
jaymeister15
RealGM
And1: 1,072

Post#559 » by jaymeister15 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:04 pm

Geddy wrote:I personally think that giving up a prospect of TDA caliber for a 38 year old knuckle-baller who has only had one stand out season is a bit much.

As has been stated in this thread before, yes, last year was his best year. But, he has had three stand out seasons since switching to a knuckle baller. If you dislike the potential trade thats fine and there are arguments to be made for wanting to keep TDA over getting Dickey, but him having only one stand out season isn't one of those arguments.
The_Hater

Post#560 » by The_Hater » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:08 pm

Adrian_05 wrote:Why are we "building a package around" D'Arnaud? Shouldnt he be enough? This just leads me to think that there is more than just a Dickey-TDA deal.

Need to wait to see the entire deal but I would guess that both teams are giving up more than 1 player, not just the Jays.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays