ImageImageImageImageImage

Blue Jays Trade Rumors 2014(waiver trade deadline August 31)

Moderator: JaysRule15

What do the Jays need at trade deadlines?

Starting Pitcher
45%
2nd baseman
39%
Relief pitcher
16%

Total votes: 67

Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Re: Blue Jays Trade & Free Agency Rumors 

Post#1001 » by Michael Bradley » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:03 am

For 1B, the Jays would have been better off signing another Boras client who ended up signing for peanuts with Miami (Jeff Baker). If the Jays kept the same pitching staff as they have now but signed Drew to play 2B and Baker to platoon with Lind, I would have been fine with that. They can still sign Drew if they want, but again, this is one of those off-seasons where ownership would rather stand pat and hope for a miracle than pay for improvements.
torontoaces04
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#1002 » by torontoaces04 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:22 am

How we didn't sign Jeff Baker, is beyond me. Maybe AA was waiting for him to come to us.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,111

Post#1003 » by C Court » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:26 am

Wo1verine wrote:Apparently we are not one of the teams interested in Franklin :roll:

TODAY, 4:49pm: A Seattle-Tampa deal involving Franklin was close at one point, but the injury to Hellickson threw a wrench into talks, reports Adam Rubin of ESPN.com (Twitter links). That does not necessarily mean that Hellickson was to be included in a deal, Rubin adds.
- MLBTR

Of course not. At some point in the future he might demand a contract longer than five years.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Graham's Cracker
Analyst
And1: 647

Post#1004 » by Graham's Cracker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:24 am

Wo1verine wrote:Apparently we are not one of the teams interested in Franklin :roll:

TODAY, 4:49pm: A Seattle-Tampa deal involving Franklin was close at one point, but the injury to Hellickson threw a wrench into talks, reports Adam Rubin of ESPN.com (Twitter links). That does not necessarily mean that Hellickson was to be included in a deal, Rubin adds.
- MLBTR
his agent is Boras is it not?

Sent from my LG-P880g using RealGM Forums mobile app
Michael Bradley
General Manager

Post#1005 » by Michael Bradley » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:36 am

Yes, Boras is Franklin's agent, so if the Jays have a policy against doing business with Boras, then that likely eliminates them from trading for Franklin. Although that might just be for free agents. The Jays would have three cost controlled seasons and then three arbitration seasons with Franklin, so they won't really be dealing with Boras until six years later if they traded for Franklin, but after Boras went public in the last few days, I think the Jays are even less likely to acquire talent represented by him any time soon.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Post#1006 » by tecumseh18 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:15 am

AA should flip the script, like Mel Gibson did in Ransom. Appear on TV with a huge stack of money, and tell FAs to fire Boras if they ever want to see it.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#1007 » by Graham's Cracker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:11 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:AA should flip the script, like Mel Gibson did in Ransom. Appear on TV with a huge stack of money, and tell FAs to fire Boras if they ever want to see it.
lol. Give me back my boy!!!!

Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#1008 » by Graham's Cracker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:12 pm

Michael Bradley wrote:Yes, Boras is Franklin's agent, so if the Jays have a policy against doing business with Boras, then that likely eliminates them from trading for Franklin. Although that might just be for free agents. The Jays would have three cost controlled seasons and then three arbitration seasons with Franklin, so they won't really be dealing with Boras until six years later if they traded for Franklin, but after Boras went public in the last few days, I think the Jays are even less likely to acquire talent represented by him any time soon.
Would be foolish but. I wouldnt put it past Beeston

akakalakin
Sixth Man
And1: 245

Post#1009 » by akakalakin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:09 pm

Johan Santana high 70's that's it?

no thanks, rather see Redmond/Rogers/Stroman/Hutch/Drabek
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#1010 » by satyr9 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:26 pm

Well, he used to have the best changeup in the game, now it's just his fastball. :D
Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#1011 » by Graham's Cracker » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:11 am

akakalakin wrote:Johan Santana high 70's that's it?

no thanks, rather see Redmond/Rogers/Stroman/Hutch/Drabek

That's slower than a good Dickey knuckleball.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#1012 » by Skin Blues » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:25 am

At least he got that no-hitter*, right? I wonder if he still thinks it was worth it.
Bigdaddy1980
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#1013 » by Bigdaddy1980 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:40 pm

Skin Blues wrote:At least he got that no-hitter*, right? I wonder if he still thinks it was worth it.

He was able to do what only a select few ever have........and he already has made his money. I'd say it was worth it.
uniballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,081

Post#1014 » by uniballer » Sat Mar 8, 2014 12:49 am

Wow looks like AA playing hardball could workout

[Tweet] "@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: Ervin Santana now seeking a one-year deal, and wants to sign as quickly as possible." [/Tweet]

[Tweet] "@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources add: Santana wants to sign with a strong offensive club. Both #BlueJays and #Orioles fit that description and have shown interest." [/Tweet]
Credit to the great TZ
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#1015 » by MikeM » Sat Mar 8, 2014 12:52 am

If we don't sign him now then we know Beeston's motives.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,231

Post#1016 » by Mehar » Sat Mar 8, 2014 12:55 am

uniballer wrote:Wow looks like AA playing hardball could workout

[Tweet] "@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: Ervin Santana now seeking a one-year deal, and wants to sign as quickly as possible." [/Tweet]

[Tweet] "@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources add: Santana wants to sign with a strong offensive club. Both #BlueJays and #Orioles fit that description and have shown interest." [/Tweet]

Guys i was against signing Santana and Ubaldo for 4 years and the 50 M range they were seeking. However for One Year- It is Imperative that AA get this done. No excuses at all. Morrow has been consistent at being inconsistent. You cannot count on him. Jays need to get this done and show the fanbase that they are serious about playing meaningful baseball in September this year.
uniballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,081

Post#1017 » by uniballer » Sat Mar 8, 2014 12:59 am

Mehar wrote:

Guys i was against signing Santana and Ubaldo for 4 years and the 50 M range they were seeking. However for One Year- It is Imperative that AA get this done. No excuses at all. Morrow has been consistent at being inconsistent. You cannot count on him. Jays need to get this done and show the fanbase that they are serious about playing meaningful baseball in September this year.

I agree this could erase a poor off season. If this happens and Ricky shows that his solid pitching today wasn't a fluke I will be alot more confident come April
Credit to the great TZ
mastertang
Senior
And1: 3

Post#1018 » by mastertang » Sat Mar 8, 2014 1:10 am

Mehar wrote:

Yup exactly. I hated the idea of a long-term contract. AA waited and got what he wanted. If he can't get this done I will be seriously concerned.
Michael Bradley
General Manager

Post#1019 » by Michael Bradley » Sat Mar 8, 2014 1:34 am

Santana for one year would be fine with me. Ideal situation for the Jays.
There There
Veteran
And1: 201

Post#1020 » by There There » Sat Mar 8, 2014 2:35 am

Michael Bradley wrote:Santana for one year would be fine with me. Ideal situation for the Jays.

At one year, hell yes. If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out.

It at least gives them a great opportunity to start the season with Stroman/Nolin/Romero/Drabek at Buffalo.

Dickey/Morrow/Buehrle/Santana/Hutch ( or Happ ) would be fine by me.

And for appearances alone, this would look like a huge victory to the fan base where the team can come out of this vindicated that they said they were going to wait until it was on their terms and then got one of the guys.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays