Post#2 » by Raps_Swingman » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:14 pm

This guy is softer then Morrow….and thats saying something. So happy he's gone
That's what she said.
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Re: OT: Josh Johnson injured already 

Post#3 » by MikeM » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:22 am

TJ coming up. That's why SD gave him that silly contract.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,111

Post#4 » by C Court » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:23 am

NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,315

Post#5 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:46 am

This is why you don't give guys that can't stay on the field 14M qualifying offers.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Post#6 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:08 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:This is why you don't give guys that can't stay on the field 14M qualifying offers.

I must admit I was thinking during the whole Ervin S. schlmozzle that we just should have QO'd JJ. Some on this board and battersbox had made a persuasive case at the time that we should have (although it might have been motivated by the understandable desire to salvage the trade with the Marlins).
Graham's Cracker
Analyst
And1: 647

Post#7 » by Graham's Cracker » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:01 am

I questioned why we wouldn't as well Was also thinking Kazmir would be a high upside guy and he's also injured. Goes to show how hard it is to assemble a good amd healthy rotation. Takes good scouting, good coaching, good medical staff and most importantly good luck and when it hits the fan, you need good depth to sustain.

Sent from my LG-P880g using RealGM Forums mobile app
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#8 » by Michael Bradley » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:22 am

I would have been fine with qualifying Johnson even with his injury history, but it looks like a good decision that they didn't. Even missing a month is significant, and who knows how long he actually misses.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst
And1: 647

Post#9 » by Graham's Cracker » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:33 am

Michael Bradley wrote:I would have been fine with qualifying Johnson even with his injury history, but it looks like a good decision that they didn't. Even missing a month is significant, and who knows how long he actually misses.

And how effective he'd be when he does come back. Seems like the same thing that caused him problems all last year and that led to extreme ineffectiveness.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#10 » by Schad » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:54 am

Raps_Swingman wrote:This guy is softer then Morrow….and thats saying something. So happy he's gone

'Soft' isn't really the problem; most pitchers will be shut down for the same issues. What makes Johnson unreliable is that something in his mechanics strains his arm, and consequently has led to a slew of forearm, elbow and shoulder injuries, the likes of which cannot be pitched through.

Unfortunately, that's worse; those genuine injuries need rest, or they need surgery, and they tend to snowball...when tendons and ligaments cease working properly, to the extent that they need repair, it's unlikely that a pitcher will ever regain full health. And that's why some didn't like QOing Johnson; his injury history is so lengthy that it's clear that his mechanics have caused real damage, and the cumulative effect of that is that it's increasingly unlikely that he'll ever throw 200 IP without breaking down again.
**** your asterisk.
akakalakin
Sixth Man
And1: 245

Post#11 » by akakalakin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Would have thought Dustin would make the injured list before JJ, won't be long now though I guess.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,931

Post#12 » by Ado05 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:07 pm

Cant say I feel bad for him.
Raps_Swingman
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#13 » by Raps_Swingman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:14 am

Schadenfreude wrote:
Raps_Swingman wrote:This guy is softer then Morrow….and thats saying something. So happy he's gone

'Soft' isn't really the problem; most pitchers will be shut down for the same issues. What makes Johnson unreliable is that something in his mechanics strains his arm, and consequently has led to a slew of forearm, elbow and shoulder injuries, the likes of which cannot be pitched through.

Unfortunately, that's worse; those genuine injuries need rest, or they need surgery, and they tend to snowball...when tendons and ligaments cease working properly, to the extent that they need repair, it's unlikely that a pitcher will ever regain full health. And that's why some didn't like QOing Johnson; his injury history is so lengthy that it's clear that his mechanics have caused real damage, and the cumulative effect of that is that it's increasingly unlikely that he'll ever throw 200 IP without breaking down again.

I agree his injury may be genuine but i still think he's soft in the way he trains and deals with injuries. But I'm a JJ hater. God given talent and no work ethic in my opinion.
That's what she said.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#14 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:19 am

Raps_Swingman wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:

I agree his injury may be genuine but i still think he's soft in the way he trains and deals with injuries. But I'm a JJ hater. God given talent and no work ethic in my opinion.

Have absolutely no idea how you could know a thing like that.
Raps_Swingman
Analyst

Post#15 » by Raps_Swingman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:28 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Raps_Swingman wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:

Word gets around among people in the organization. JJ had the rep of someone who didn't want to put the extra work in to get to where he needed to be. But why would you when teams are going to just hand you millions to spend time on the DL.
That's what she said.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#16 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:27 pm

Raps_Swingman wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Raps_Swingman wrote:

Word gets around among people in the organization. JJ had the rep of someone who didn't want to put the extra work in to get to where he needed to be. But why would you when teams are going to just hand you millions to spend time on the DL.

You work/have contacts with people in the Jays organization?
Raps_Swingman
Analyst

Post#17 » by Raps_Swingman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Raps_Swingman wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Have absolutely no idea how you could know a thing like that.

Yes...and MLSE as well.
That's what she said.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#18 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:18 pm

Raps_Swingman wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Raps_Swingman wrote:

Yes...and MLSE as well.

Any other inside info you could drop on us, then?
CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

Post#19 » by CrookedJ » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:26 pm

Hopefully the injury doesn't affect his ability to spend his millions of dollars.
stealthmode
Starter
And1: 2,596

Post#20 » by stealthmode » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:51 pm

glad we got out when we did

Return to Toronto Blue Jays