ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread

Moderators: Rhettmatic, Alfred, Schad

User avatar
-MetA4-
Head Coach
Posts: 6,583
And1: 205
Joined: May 28, 2003
Location: London

Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2661 » by -MetA4- » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:49 am

blackflash234 wrote:We just have to hope and pray the new scouting regime works magic. If I recall correctly, our new scouting director is from Boston?


Yes, Steve Sanders. Young guy who is supposed to be big on analytics.
User avatar
vaff87
General Manager
Posts: 9,779
And1: 9,121
Joined: Oct 22, 2003
     

Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2662 » by vaff87 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:16 pm

Lourdes Gurriel played his first game of the season, got a double in his first AB, then left the game after his second AB. Anyone know why?
User avatar
Schad
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,561
And1: 6,369
Joined: Feb 08, 2006
Location: I am not, and never have been, a member of the Communist bandwagon
     

Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2663 » by Schad » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:44 am

vaff87 wrote:Lourdes Gurriel played his first game of the season, got a double in his first AB, then left the game after his second AB. Anyone know why?


Going to assume that going 1 for 1 earned him a mid-game call-up.
Violence is almost never the solution. Unless the problem is Nazis.
User avatar
vaff87
General Manager
Posts: 9,779
And1: 9,121
Joined: Oct 22, 2003
     

Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2664 » by vaff87 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:26 am

Rowdy Tellez is really struggling in AAA.
dagger
RealGM
Posts: 36,159
And1: 8,051
Joined: Aug 19, 2002
         

Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2665 » by dagger » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:40 am

Wonder if Max Pentecost's catching career is on hold again. Caught one game this week for DUN, didn't finish it, then came back the next three nights as DH or 1B. Had a homer and a double tonight, so he can swing a bat, but wonder if he felt something, or the team saw something, that has put catching on hold. I have no idea of what's going on, so don't infer from this that something major has happened.
For sports oriented Twitter content, follow @accfanto
North_of_Border
Senior
Posts: 528
And1: 157
Joined: May 18, 2014
         

Re: RE: Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2666 » by North_of_Border » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:42 pm

dagger wrote:Wonder if Max Pentecost's catching career is on hold again. Caught one game this week for DUN, didn't finish it, then came back the next three nights as DH or 1B. Had a homer and a double tonight, so he can swing a bat, but wonder if he felt something, or the team saw something, that has put catching on hold. I have no idea of what's going on, so don't infer from this that something major has happened.


I hope not. Pentecost was a steal in the draft. The most complete catcher. Then he became a top prospect in the MLB and easily a top 5 catcher in the minors. The future was so bright.

I hope he can regain the momentum. He is the type of hitter you want from your catcher.....Rees McGuire is a great catcher but a below average hitter. Pentecost is complete.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
JaysRule15
General Manager
Posts: 9,710
And1: 29,777
Joined: Dec 26, 2011
Location: S.S. Shambles en route to Guangdong

Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2667 » by JaysRule15 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:44 pm

It's a good thing that Smoak has been solid on offense for us so far, because Tellez has been really struggling in Buffalo.

.170/.278/.298 line with a .576 OPS in nearly 50 at-bats.
Image
S/O BrunoSkull
dagger
RealGM
Posts: 36,159
And1: 8,051
Joined: Aug 19, 2002
         

Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2668 » by dagger » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:47 am

JaysRule15 wrote:It's a good thing that Smoak has been solid on offense for us so far, because Tellez has been really struggling in Buffalo.

.170/.278/.298 line with a .576 OPS in nearly 50 at-bats.


He's struggling, but give him time. Fortunately, there is no shortage of potential first baseman if he can't get over this hump. Max Pentecost, whom we still hope will be our next regular catcher, hit a homer and a double today and is playing some 1B. Vlad Guerrero could end up at first, though he's a third baseman right now. Brad Jones in Lansing is playing 1B and 2B, and hit his sixth HR of the young season today. Any of these guys could play 1B if their route to the majors is blocked by another at their position.
For sports oriented Twitter content, follow @accfanto
User avatar
JaysRule15
General Manager
Posts: 9,710
And1: 29,777
Joined: Dec 26, 2011
Location: S.S. Shambles en route to Guangdong

Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2669 » by JaysRule15 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:51 am

dagger wrote:
JaysRule15 wrote:It's a good thing that Smoak has been solid on offense for us so far, because Tellez has been really struggling in Buffalo.

.170/.278/.298 line with a .576 OPS in nearly 50 at-bats.


He's struggling, but give him time. Fortunately, there is no shortage of potential first baseman if he can't get over this hump. Max Pentecost, whom we still hope will be our next regular catcher, hit a homer and a double today and is playing some 1B. Vlad Guerrero could end up at first, though he's a third baseman right now. Brad Jones in Lansing is playing 1B and 2B, and hit his sixth HR of the young season today. Any of these guys could play 1B if their route to the majors is blocked by another at their position.


Has Pentecost played C again since that one game where he was pulled midway?
Image
S/O BrunoSkull
dagger
RealGM
Posts: 36,159
And1: 8,051
Joined: Aug 19, 2002
         

Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2670 » by dagger » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:06 am

JaysRule15 wrote:
dagger wrote:
JaysRule15 wrote:It's a good thing that Smoak has been solid on offense for us so far, because Tellez has been really struggling in Buffalo.

.170/.278/.298 line with a .576 OPS in nearly 50 at-bats.


He's struggling, but give him time. Fortunately, there is no shortage of potential first baseman if he can't get over this hump. Max Pentecost, whom we still hope will be our next regular catcher, hit a homer and a double today and is playing some 1B. Vlad Guerrero could end up at first, though he's a third baseman right now. Brad Jones in Lansing is playing 1B and 2B, and hit his sixth HR of the young season today. Any of these guys could play 1B if their route to the majors is blocked by another at their position.


Has Pentecost played C again since that one game where he was pulled midway?


Yes, I think it was Friday.
For sports oriented Twitter content, follow @accfanto
User avatar
Wally West
Starter
Posts: 2,196
And1: 265
Joined: Jun 30, 2008

Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2671 » by Wally West » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:16 am

MLB Trade Rumor's Knocking On The Door Has Dwight Smith Jr. on it for this week.

Dwight Smith Jr., OF, Toronto Blue Jays (Triple-A Buffalo)

The Blue Jays might not have a prospect capable of jump-starting their struggling offense at this point, but that doesn’t mean help isn’t on the way. Smith, the 53rd overall pick in the 2011 draft, has quietly made his way to Triple-A without putting up huge numbers or attracting much attention. But now that he’s one level away from the Majors, the left-handed hitting Smith is heating up at what could be just the right time.

Through his first 15 games, the 24-year-old has slashed .333/.403/.537 with three homers, three stolen bases, seven walks and nine strikeouts. He reached base in 12 of his 23 plate appearances last week while striking out only twice. Personally, I hope he gets the call on May 1st, which would be the 28th anniversary of his father’s MLB debut with the Cubs. Dwight Smith Sr. finished 2nd in Rookie of the Year voting in 1989.
Want: Donovan Mitchell, Jonah Bolden, Sterling Brown, Anzejs Pasecniks (if moved to power foward), Ike Anigbogu, PJ Dozier (if moved to point guard), Vlatko Cancar, George De Paula
dagger
RealGM
Posts: 36,159
And1: 8,051
Joined: Aug 19, 2002
         

Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2672 » by dagger » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:06 am

Brad Jones had another three hit night, a single, double and triple for Lansing. Played third base tonight and projects as a potential super utility player. Has played first, second and third, has DH'd and can play the outfield.
For sports oriented Twitter content, follow @accfanto
User avatar
vaff87
General Manager
Posts: 9,779
And1: 9,121
Joined: Oct 22, 2003
     

Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2673 » by vaff87 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:39 am

I've noticed *knock on wood* that Vlad Jr. hasn't made an error at third, yet this year.
dagger
RealGM
Posts: 36,159
And1: 8,051
Joined: Aug 19, 2002
         

Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2674 » by dagger » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:51 am

Max Pentecost with his fifth homer. His bat is really ready for Double A. Now if only he could get more time behind the plate.
For sports oriented Twitter content, follow @accfanto
User avatar
JaysRule15
General Manager
Posts: 9,710
And1: 29,777
Joined: Dec 26, 2011
Location: S.S. Shambles en route to Guangdong

Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2675 » by JaysRule15 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:24 am

Keep the positive news coming guys. This thread is the only thing I have left to look forward to when it comes to the Jays.
Image
S/O BrunoSkull
User avatar
Schad
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,561
And1: 6,369
Joined: Feb 08, 2006
Location: I am not, and never have been, a member of the Communist bandwagon
     

Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2676 » by Schad » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:09 am

dagger wrote:Max Pentecost with his fifth homer. His bat is really ready for Double A. Now if only he could get more time behind the plate.


The other catcher in Dunedin, Danny Jansen, is doing okay himself. He was a prospect that a lot of us liked out of high school given his patience and likelihood of sticking behind the plate, but he seemed to become an extreme flyball hitter without much power (which is not a great combination). Thus far he's slapping the ball around, striking out never, and taking very few walks. Seems like a new approach...adding the walks back in would be nice, though.

Tellez also seems to be settling in...K rate is down, walk rate is up. Still not getting many hits, but they'll come.
Violence is almost never the solution. Unless the problem is Nazis.
dagger
RealGM
Posts: 36,159
And1: 8,051
Joined: Aug 19, 2002
         

Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2677 » by dagger » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:44 pm

Just four innings in, and Max Pentecost is 3-3 with his sixth homer, and he's catching. I don't see any SB or CS for the opponents. Danny Jansen is DH and 2-3.
For sports oriented Twitter content, follow @accfanto
User avatar
vaff87
General Manager
Posts: 9,779
And1: 9,121
Joined: Oct 22, 2003
     

Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2678 » by vaff87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:59 pm

dagger wrote:Just four innings in, and Max Pentecost is 3-3 with his sixth homer, and he's catching. I don't see any SB or CS for the opponents. Danny Jansen is DH and 2-3.


How long will it be before the Jays promote him? The guy is 24. If he's tearing up High-A, why not get on with the promotion to AA?
North_of_Border
Senior
Posts: 528
And1: 157
Joined: May 18, 2014
         

Re: RE: Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2679 » by North_of_Border » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:30 am

vaff87 wrote:
dagger wrote:Just four innings in, and Max Pentecost is 3-3 with his sixth homer, and he's catching. I don't see any SB or CS for the opponents. Danny Jansen is DH and 2-3.


How long will it be before the Jays promote him? The guy is 24. If he's tearing up High-A, why not get on with the promotion to AA?

Too bad Martin is locked up and settled as the MLB catcher for a while. Pentecost and Reese McGuire should be getting looks in the major by later this season.... though good luck to the Jays on someone taking Martin off their hands. The catcher position is blocked with 2 oldish prospects waiting for their turns.

I say when the fire sale starts, Jays eat some salary and give away Martin.
dagger
RealGM
Posts: 36,159
And1: 8,051
Joined: Aug 19, 2002
         

Re: 2017 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2680 » by dagger » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:38 am

vaff87 wrote:
dagger wrote:Just four innings in, and Max Pentecost is 3-3 with his sixth homer, and he's catching. I don't see any SB or CS for the opponents. Danny Jansen is DH and 2-3.


How long will it be before the Jays promote him? The guy is 24. If he's tearing up High-A, why not get on with the promotion to AA?


They want him to catch. He has just started catching, and I doubt he moves up until they are satisfied with that aspect of his game, and that the weather is warm enough in New Hampshire
For sports oriented Twitter content, follow @accfanto

Return to Toronto Blue Jays