ImageImageImageImageImage

Jose Reyes wasn't 100% playing in Montreal

Moderator: JaysRule15

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Jose Reyes wasn't 100% playing in Montreal 

Post#1 » by dagger » Tue Apr 1, 2014 2:36 pm

We've talked about the Jays and injuries, whether their staff follows best practices or even know what it is doing.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/wh ... -montreal/
A main talking point Tuesday will surely be why Reyes played five innings in each of the two exhibition games over the weekend in Montreal, given the hamstring issues he had the previous week. Here are some of his comments from last night:

On what he was feeling beforehand: “I just tried to play through it. I was having some problems with the hammy and when I hit the ball to centre field I saw the guy dive for the ball. I thought the ball was going to drop and bounce away from him. I tried to run a little bit faster between home plate and first base and kind of felt my hammy there. I had to slow down and get out of the game because I don’t want it to get any worse.”

Was there pain in Montreal? “It was good enough to play but I didn’t really test my leg running anywhere there. I didn’t get on base, I didn’t do anything. I just tried to play through the little soreness there in my hamstring but when you deal with that you have to be careful.”

When the Rogers house organ starts grousing about an issue, you get the feeling they may be speaking for the Central Committee

These comments from Reyes are disturbing. He says he wasn't 100% playing in Montreal on the weekend. So what was a minor hamstring tweak has become a couple of weeks on the DL. These raises a number of questions, of which these leap out at me:

-Do the Jays' medical and training staff communicate effectively with the players?
-Have they discussed the necessity with players to be forthright about the state of medical issues they are having?
-Do the Jays know how to treat injuries properly? Sounds simple enough, but the evidence suggests a lot of minor injuries aren't resolved in the originally forecast recovery time. that happens with all sports teams, but it seems to happen with the Jays more than most?
-Why, even if Reyes claimed to be 100%, did they allow him to play in Montreal? (I recognize that even had he not played in MTL, he might have re-injured yesterday, but where was the abundance of caution one would expect)?
-Were the Jays blindsided by the hype of the MTL games, putting too much emphasis on fielding a regular season lineup to start games?
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Re: Jose Reyes wasn't 100% playing in Montreal 

Post#2 » by TheDunc » Tue Apr 1, 2014 3:16 pm

This is ridiculous and this is coming from someone who lives in montreal. Fans wouldn't of been that disappointed if Reyes didn't play since most fans were there for the EXPO's celebration. Just when I thought Jays medical staff couldn't get any worse they go and pull off something like this and completely redeemed themselves!
Raps_Swingman
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#3 » by Raps_Swingman » Tue Apr 1, 2014 4:10 pm

Jays medical staff is a joke. I'm reading Hayhurst's latest book and the whole "rehab" process he went through was house league.

Reyes never should've played in Montreal.

AA comes out and says Janssen can throw on flat ground, then Janseen comes out and says he can't. No wonder all of our pitchers arms blow up and players get hurt, we've got the worst medical staff in the MLB.
That's what she said.
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#4 » by MikeM » Tue Apr 1, 2014 4:16 pm

It's obviously stupid and our handling of injuries can't be defended.

But I'm not sure playing in Montreal did anything to make him tweak it yesterday. If he had sprinted like he did yesterday and tweaked it in Montreal, then ya, it's a huge issue.

My point is, even if he sat out the MTL series, he still would have tweaked it today. The bigger issue is that he should not have been playing period.
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#5 » by Santoki » Tue Apr 1, 2014 5:07 pm

You could see this coming a mile away when reports first surfaced about the hammy. It just so happened the first time he tried to actually run a bit he tweaks it. That means he should have been shut down well before the Montreal series. In reality, Reyes is made of glass and you just knew that there would be a Goins/Izturis middle infield for a significant amount of time this season. We now have possibly the worst middle infield in baseball. You'd have to be shrouded in a cloud of delusion to not see this coming. This will be a topic the entire season and it will be nauseating.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,481

Post#6 » by Brinbe » Tue Apr 1, 2014 6:07 pm

Organization is a complete joke.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#7 » by BigLeagueChew » Tue Apr 1, 2014 6:11 pm

At least AA traded for his favorite MLB player.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#8 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Apr 1, 2014 6:31 pm

dagger wrote:When the Rogers house organ starts grousing about an issue, you get the feeling they may be speaking for the Central Committee

I'm a Kremlin-watcher from way back, but I don't know if Sportsnet are "grousing" about this issue. Sounds more like they're trying to soft-peddle it as much as possible on behalf of their corporate overlords.
RapsFanInVA
Head Coach
And1: 2,092

Post#9 » by RapsFanInVA » Tue Apr 1, 2014 6:54 pm

The Jays' horrible medical staff just goes to show that socialized medicine is a joke and the ACA is doomed to fail in the US. Thanks Obama.
rarefind
RealGM
And1: 10,055

Post#10 » by rarefind » Tue Apr 1, 2014 8:00 pm

Goins-Izturis-Diaz. How much better does that sound than Kawasaki and Getz? I don't know if I should laugh or cry. It's like last season never ended, instead we had some sort of epic season finale style cliffhanger and here we are again.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,234

Post#11 » by Mehar » Tue Apr 1, 2014 8:22 pm

TheDunc wrote:This is ridiculous and this is coming from someone who lives in montreal. Fans wouldn't of been that disappointed if Reyes didn't play since most fans were there for the EXPO's celebration. Just when I thought Jays medical staff couldn't get any worse they go and pull off something like this and completely redeemed themselves!

At the end of the day- they were EXHIBITION games. Incredibly ridiculous that he was allowed to play in games that were irrelevant. However-the difficult thing with Reyes is how much he is owed until 2018. He is being paid 16M this year, and 22M a year from 2015-2018. His history has shown that he is an injury prone player. There was a reason the Mets let him walk when some of the Mets front office personnel were saying that Reyes can never be relied on to play a full year. Hopefully he can stay healthy for a change. If not- the Jays have another terrible contract on the books until the end of 2018, and the worse infield in the American League. Terrible for AA not to upgrade the infield in any way shape or form. It was also terrible for him to hand a bench player like Izturis a three year 10 M guaranteed deal last year, when no other team was offering him more than one year guaranteed with an option. Hopefully a guy like Goins can elevate his play now since this team needs it.
Back2back2back
Starter
And1: 440

Post#12 » by Back2back2back » Tue Apr 1, 2014 9:04 pm

BLUE JAYS SS REYES HAS MILD INFLAMATION IN LEFT HAMSTRING

An MRI has revealed mild inflammation in Jose Reyes' left hamstring, a day after he left the Toronto Blue Jays season opening 9-2 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays after flying out in the first inning.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=448006
kwamebargnani
General Manager
And1: 2,479

Post#13 » by kwamebargnani » Tue Apr 1, 2014 9:36 pm

I expect nothing more from this terrible front office.
BlueJayReyes
Starter
And1: 1,676

Post#14 » by BlueJayReyes » Tue Apr 1, 2014 10:57 pm

Joke organization. Busch league all around from the top to our manager...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to Toronto Blue Jays