ImageImageImageImageImage

Did O's target Cabrera, and if so, why did Jays not respond?

Moderator: JaysRule15

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,497

Did O's target Cabrera, and if so, why did Jays not respond? 

Post#1 » by dagger » Fri Aug 8, 2014 3:10 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mhobson12/status/497757483654742016[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mhobson12/status/497758199634984962[/tweet]

I thought about this at the time. If you watch the replay of the injury, the catcher sets up way inside on that pitch. More so than I saw throughout the game. Getting him out of the game was pivotal. Reimold did nothing.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Re: Did O's target Cabrera, and if so, why did Jays not resp 

Post#2 » by BigLeagueChew » Fri Aug 8, 2014 3:40 pm

I'm always skeptical when a RHP hits a lefty hitter or vice versa..It's tough to say if it was on purpose or not but I expected us to at least throw the ball high and inside to someone like Jones or Markakis.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#3 » by Michael Bradley » Fri Aug 8, 2014 3:47 pm

Hutchison would have retaliated. He has done that at least twice in his MLB career that I can recall.
rarefind
RealGM
And1: 10,054

Post#4 » by rarefind » Fri Aug 8, 2014 3:49 pm

Intentional or not, when what of your best hitters gets beaned like that you answer the bell. Machado barely got hit on a curveball that he would have got out the way of. Guess it is at the pitcher's discretion though to be honest. But would have been nice to actually see if such would ignite and inspire the team.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,555

Post#5 » by s e n s i » Fri Aug 8, 2014 4:10 pm

i'm all for aiming at markakis' ribcage or knee at some point during the game, but in a close one like that i don't think they wanted to lose by a run because they engaged in a beanball war. plus it's really tough to say for certain if the cabrera HBP was intentional. machado was hit by an avoidable looping curveball that simply missed. though i wouldn't be surprised if that scumbag team felt retribution was necessary -- heck i even think that's more likely, i wouldn't completely write off the idea that gonzalez tried to go up and in but simply missed as well
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
dagger
RealGM

Post#6 » by dagger » Fri Aug 8, 2014 5:43 pm

s e n s i wrote:i'm all for aiming at markakis' ribcage or knee at some point during the game, but in a close one like that i don't think they wanted to lose by a run because they engaged in a beanball war. plus it's really tough to say for certain if the cabrera HBP was intentional. machado was hit by an avoidable looping curveball that simply missed. though i wouldn't be surprised if that scumbag team felt retribution was necessary -- heck i even think that's more likely, i wouldn't completely write off the idea that gonzalez tried to go up and in but simply missed as well

I refer back to where the catcher positioned himself - further inside than on any pitch I saw all night.
Larry Dallas
Junior
And1: 104

Post#7 » by Larry Dallas » Fri Aug 8, 2014 5:55 pm

I think you might be right about this. I was watching the game and they showed several replays of the hit and the location of the catcher. It looked deliberate. Wonderful. Yet another sign that this Jays team lacks identity and fortitude.
Tyrone Slothrop
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,203

Post#8 » by Tyrone Slothrop » Fri Aug 8, 2014 6:05 pm

Because they're not the Arizona Diamondbacks.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#9 » by vaff87 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 6:22 pm

s e n s i wrote:i'm all for aiming at markakis' ribcage or knee at some point during the game, but in a close one like that i don't think they wanted to lose by a run because they engaged in a beanball war. plus it's really tough to say for certain if the cabrera HBP was intentional. machado was hit by an avoidable looping curveball that simply missed. though i wouldn't be surprised if that scumbag team felt retribution was necessary -- heck i even think that's more likely, i wouldn't completely write off the idea that gonzalez tried to go up and in but simply missed as well

I feel like the O's throw at players fairly frequently. This is just based on my memory, not based on any statistics I looked up, but it seems like a lot of Jays injuries over the years by HBP have been at the hands of the Orioles.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,555

Post#10 » by s e n s i » Fri Aug 8, 2014 6:26 pm

dagger wrote:I refer back to where the catcher positioned himself - further inside than on any pitch I saw all night.

i get that. joseph did set up uncomfortably inside, but what answer are you looking for?

the blue jays are bunch of pansies that let other teams walk all over them, that's why they didn't respond

either that or they figured we can't afford to give them a free baserunner in a close, pivotal game over a HBP they weren't 100% sure was intentional. it's one or the other right.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
dagger
RealGM

Post#11 » by dagger » Fri Aug 8, 2014 7:22 pm

s e n s i wrote:
dagger wrote:I refer back to where the catcher positioned himself - further inside than on any pitch I saw all night.

i get that. joseph did set up uncomfortably inside, but what answer are you looking for?

the blue jays are bunch of pansies that let other teams walk all over them, that's why they didn't respond

either that or they figured we can't afford to give them a free baserunner in a close, pivotal game over a HBP they weren't 100% sure was intentional. it's one or the other right.

I think your second paragraph is the answer I fear.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#12 » by Schad » Fri Aug 8, 2014 9:31 pm

dagger wrote:I think your second paragraph is the answer I fear.

Of course you do.

And, as I say any time this silliness comes up: intentionally hitting batters is dumb. Intentionally hitting batters in important games is you-should-be-fired-tomorrow dumb. Just no.
**** your asterisk.
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#13 » by satyr9 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 11:08 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
dagger wrote:I think your second paragraph is the answer I fear.

Of course you do.

And, as I say any time this silliness comes up: intentionally hitting batters is dumb. Intentionally hitting batters in important games is you-should-be-fired-tomorrow dumb. Just no.

Why not just ask why Happ didn't come down off the mound and punch someone in the ribs? He'd have better control, he'd certainly convey the appropriate message with more force, and justice would be served.

Just in case anyone was wondering, the answer to that question is undeniably 100% that the Blue Jays are pansies. I don't know why I ever thought it was a good idea to spend my free time trying to watch flowers play Baseball, they're just not very good at it. Stick to photosynthesis you losers.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#14 » by Schad » Fri Aug 8, 2014 11:19 pm

satyr9 wrote:Just in case anyone was wondering, the answer to that question is undeniably 100% that the Blue Jays are pansies. I don't know why I ever thought it was a good idea to spend my free time trying to watch flowers play Baseball, they're just not very good at it. Stick to photosynthesis you losers.

Analytics Plant takes offense at the notion that photosynthesis and baseball cannot coexist.
**** your asterisk.
Black Watch
Bench Warmer
And1: 762

Post#15 » by Black Watch » Fri Aug 8, 2014 11:56 pm

satyr9 wrote:Why not just ask why Happ didn't come down off the mound and punch someone in the ribs? He'd have better control, he'd certainly convey the appropriate message with more force, and justice would be served.

Just in case anyone was wondering, the answer to that question is undeniably 100% that the Blue Jays are pansies. I don't know why I ever thought it was a good idea to spend my free time trying to watch flowers play Baseball, they're just not very good at it. Stick to photosynthesis you losers.

This is almost sig-worthy! :lol:
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.
Tyrone Slothrop
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Tyrone Slothrop » Sat Aug 9, 2014 5:18 am

If we literally injure every other player in baseball, we will win the World Series. And then noone will call us pansies and Canada will be the coolest country in North America!!!
chargerxthirty
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Post#17 » by chargerxthirty » Sat Aug 9, 2014 5:26 am

I watched the replay of that pitch from every angle 20 times each today when I was at my fathers house and we concluded that that it was intentional without a shadow of a doubt. It was a calculated move and I was very disappointed that the Jays didn't respond.
Tyrone Slothrop
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Tyrone Slothrop » Sat Aug 9, 2014 5:28 am

Hooo boy. I need to take a break from this forum for a bit. At least until this thread disappears.
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#19 » by Santoki » Sat Aug 9, 2014 11:37 am

Tyrone Slothrop wrote:Hooo boy. I need to take a break from this forum for a bit. At least until this thread disappears.

You should probably take a break from all Jays-related media because this is the first thing they talked about on every program yesterday.
WiggOuts
Starter
And1: 1,352

Post#20 » by WiggOuts » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:50 pm

is there video?

Return to Toronto Blue Jays