ImageImageImageImageImage

How do we turn this into a playoff team?

Moderator: JaysRule15

UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Re: How do we turn this into a playoff team? 

Post#41 » by UN-Owen » Thu Oct 9, 2014 7:02 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
UN-Owen wrote:Since the Yankees were perennial contenders with Jeter, I have a hard time believing that having Reyes at shortstop is preventing this team from making the playoffs

Would they have been better with Jeter at third and A-Rod (who was an excellent shortstop defender when he moved over) at SS? Almost certainly. But the difference between 101 wins and 102 wins isn't terribly meaningful. The difference between 90 and 91-92 might be, however, and that's why moving Reyes to second is a pressing need for a lot of people...getting, as an example, JJ Hardy to play short with Reyes shifting to 2B likely improves the team more than any 2B addition we're likely to find on the open market.

Hardy just re-signed with the Orioles

3 years/40 million
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#42 » by Schad » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:49 am

That he did. Luckily, there are a number of other options at short, as outlined previous.
**** your asterisk.
Black Watch
Bench Warmer
And1: 762

Post#43 » by Black Watch » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:34 am

Schadenfreude wrote:
UN-Owen wrote:Yes, please continue

And feel free to include some stats to back up why they would be a worthwhile upgrade

Jed Lowrie is a marginally-above average defensive shortstop, and historically a good hitter. Reyes would be a better defensive second baseman, and Lowrie's 3.1 fWAR/650 over the past three years would be a major upgrade, period.

Stephen Drew's inconsistency is troubling, but he's a good buy-low candidate, an above-average defender who should be at least passable offensively.

Didi Gregorius (guessing the D-Backs move him, not Owings) is poised for a breakout. Should be at least average defensively, and while his numbers were not terribly good this past year, he got seriously screwed on BABIP...players who carry a line drive rate around 20% don't generally hit .260 on balls in play.

Starlin Castro is a possibility, though he wouldn't be cheap. Dumb as bricks though he might be, his defense is decent enough, and he's rounding into a good hitter...even with a bad 2013, he averaged a pretty solid 1.9 fWAR/650 for his age 21-24 seasons, and he's on a very reasonable long-term deal.

Yunel Escobar would be a big risk, but an interesting option. His defense was pretty terrible last year, but historically he's been well above average, with decent-to-good hitting to back it up. Really depends on Tampa's appraisal of their kiddies, and whether he'd want to return.

So, alongside Hardy, there are six options for acquiring shortstops who could push Reyes to second base, and that doesn't include any pie-in-the-sky "let's trade for Tulo or sign Hanley!" scenarios.

The Cubs also have much depth in SS prospects. I'd keep an eye out for them to move one.
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.
UN-Owen
Banned User

Post#44 » by UN-Owen » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:49 am

Schadenfreude wrote:That he did. Luckily, there are a number of other options at short, as outlined previous.

"Luckily" we can fall back on Drew or Lowrie?

That seems like a misuse of the word
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,323

Post#45 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:50 am

The Jays, for whatever reason, have no plans to move Reyes off SS, so it hardly matters who is available.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
uniballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,081

Post#46 » by uniballer » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:13 pm

Trade Bautista for Puig!
Credit to the great TZ
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,323

Post#47 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:39 pm

uniballer wrote:Trade Bautista for Puig!

I would try to acquire Puig without giving up our own best player. If the Dodgers are dumb enough to bench him in an elimination game, they might be dumb enough to do that too.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#48 » by dagger » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:49 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
uniballer wrote:Trade Bautista for Puig!

I would try to acquire Puig without giving up our own best player. If the Dodgers are dumb enough to bench him in an elimination game, they might be dumb enough to do that too.

You could certainly try, but the intellectual case to be made is that the Dodgers were built to win now, and need win-now talent to put them over the top. Bautista is the ultimate win-now trade target. There aren't a lot of good bats in free agency this winter, and Bautista would also give them a dose of professionalism and solid outfield defence that would make it possible for the Dodgers to justify trading such a piece as Puig. GMs do feel the need to justify what they do, especially in a market where the media is massive and always impatient/on their back like Southern California. The issue for me is whether the Jays would want to deal with Puig's immaturity. Jose is the guy who you would want around to set an example and help control the kid. I'd certainly give up Edwin and a couple of prospects not named Norris/Sanchez to get him. Then set up a Lind platoon at 1B.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
augustine
Senior
And1: 29

Post#49 » by augustine » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:14 pm

I would rather move Reyes to 3B, not 2B. He lacks the range needed at 2B (but can be hid at 3B), and he has the arm needed at 3B. Also, he has played the left side of the infield for his entire life, so he is probably more comfortable there. Also, if Reyes complains of moving off SS, just tell him that he is the SS, he is just shifted 20 feet over for the rest of his life, while the 3B is also shifted 20 feet over.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Schad » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:33 pm

UN-Owen wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:That he did. Luckily, there are a number of other options at short, as outlined previous.

"Luckily" we can fall back on Drew or Lowrie?

That seems like a misuse of the word

Getting Lowrie -- who had a 'down' season at a mere 1.9 fWAR -- would be a considerable upgrade. So, yes, that would be lucky.

Not the mention the several other options mentioned previous that you're ignoring thanks to your rather remarkable dedication to being willfully obtuse.
**** your asterisk.
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#51 » by MikeM » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:50 pm

I can't see Reyes moving off short for Lowrie. I literally think he would say no.

However, I think he'd move off short for Jimmy Rollins, who has one year left at 11M, is still good defensively, and probably would not take much to get from PHI.
torontoaces04
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#52 » by torontoaces04 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:29 pm

My Dream Off-season

1. Re-sign Melky Cabrera - 5 years/95 million
2. Sign Jed Lowrie - 4 years/44 million
3. Sign Michael Cuddyer - 2 years/16 million
4. Sign Scott Feldman - 5 years/75 million
5. Sign Pat Neschek - 2 years/14 million

I'm not subscribing to the "we need to trade one of Buehrle or Dickey" theory. I think with the amount of young arms we're going to have in the lineup next year, we still need those innings-eaters in there as well.

Stroman
Hutchison
Feldman
Dickey
Buehrle

Happ
Redmond
Loup
Cecil
Neschek
Sanchez

2B - Reyes
LF - Cabrera
RF - Bautista
DH - Encarnacion
1B - Lind/Cuddyer
3B - Lawrie
SS - Lowrie
C - Navarro
CF - Gose

Izturis
Valencia
Goins
Pillar
Thole

Ladies and gentleman, your 2015 World Champions, the Toronto Blue Jays.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Schad » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:34 pm

MikeM wrote:I can't see Reyes moving off short for Lowrie. I literally think he would say no.

I can see Reyes saying no to moving for anyone. Despite that, he needs to move...he's fringy now, and will progress to Full Jeter in short order. If we can't convince a guy with a longterm deal to shift to a position that will ultimately help both the team and himself, we have deeper problems here.
**** your asterisk.
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#54 » by satyr9 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:17 am

Schadenfreude wrote:
MikeM wrote:I can't see Reyes moving off short for Lowrie. I literally think he would say no.

I can see Reyes saying no to moving for anyone. Despite that, he needs to move...he's fringy now, and will progress to Full Jeter in short order. If we can't convince a guy with a longterm deal to shift to a position that will ultimately help both the team and himself, we have deeper problems here.

I'm not suggesting it'd ever come to this, but what leverage does Reyes have to refuse? If the Jays say, "play 2B" and he says, "no" can't they suspend him?

I'm not bringing it up to say that it'll happen, but I do think this is the kind of conversation that informs how the story plays out. If AA or Gibby or whoever has just floated the idea with Reyes, doesn't he sit with his agents/advisors and quickly realize there's no upside for him refusing? He's already got his big payday, there isn't another one coming.

I do think pride will make him reticent to stop being a SS, but if the Jays even hint at playing hardball on this front, I don't see how he doesn't quickly come to the conclusion it's a bad fight for him.

Realistically, I think it becomes interesting if you get a guy like Didi, who one only plays for his glove at SS and who absolutely gets benched against LHP. You can hopefully sell Reyes that he's only part-time at 2B, albeit the part is the vs. RHP part, meaning like 80%. Against LHP, it's Lawrie/Reyes/Valencia and Reyes can still tell people he's a SS, for the time being. I think that's the kind of face-saving gesture they'll need to make, even if it's only for the spring training stories.

No matter what, I don't think it's a story you'll see being pushed by management unless they get their SS, no reason to upset the apple cart if you're stuck eating a banana.
UN-Owen
Banned User

Post#55 » by UN-Owen » Fri Oct 9, 2015 5:26 am

Schad wrote:
UN-Owen wrote:So what's Plan B?

Jed Lowrie, Stephen Drew, a trade for one of Arizona's young shortstops (they appear likely to move one). Want me to go all the way down to Plan Q?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lowrije01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/drewst01.shtml

Now, if you had said "trade for Tulowitzki", I would've agreed that was an upgrade
Rbk_3
Junior
And1: 385

Post#56 » by Rbk_3 » Fri Oct 9, 2015 1:01 pm

I would make the following moves.

Trade Lawire and a few prospects to the A's for Josh Donaldson. I think he can have an MVP type season playing in the Rogers Centre.
Trade Lind, for a pitcher. We don't really need his bat. Maybe some one like Estrada from the Brewers.
Sign Russell Martin
Trade Reyes to the Rockies for Tulo (haha yea right, like that would ever happen)
If we are in it at the deadline, make a move for a #1 starter.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,936

Re: RE: Re: How do we turn this into a playoff team? 

Post#57 » by Potential » Fri Oct 9, 2015 1:54 pm

Rbk_3 wrote:I would make the following moves.

Trade Lawire and a few prospects to the A's for Josh Donaldson. I think he can have an MVP type season playing in the Rogers Centre.
Trade Lind, for a pitcher. We don't really need his bat. Maybe some one like Estrada from the Brewers.
Sign Russell Martin
Trade Reyes to the Rockies for Tulo (haha yea right, like that would ever happen)
If we are in it at the deadline, make a move for a #1 starter.

All these moves sound ridiculous. Just deactivate your account.
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#58 » by Rhettmatic » Fri Oct 9, 2015 2:05 pm

UN-Owen wrote:
Schad wrote:
UN-Owen wrote:So what's Plan B?

Jed Lowrie, Stephen Drew, a trade for one of Arizona's young shortstops (they appear likely to move one). Want me to go all the way down to Plan Q?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lowrije01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/drewst01.shtml

Now, if you had said "trade for Tulowitzki", I would've agreed that was an upgrade

I'm pretty sure you would know by now not to bump old threads.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays