Toronto Star: Blue Jays won't trade Bautista and Encarnacion

Moderator: JaysRule15

polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Toronto Star: Blue Jays won't trade Bautista and Encarnacion 

Post#1 » by polo007 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:37 am

Hey guys,

According to Bruce Arthur of the Toronto Star, Toronto Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos will not trade away Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion. Alex Anthopoulos is eager to see what money saved on Colby Rasmus, Casey Janssen, Brandon Morrow and Dustin McGowan will buy in both the free agent and trade market during the upcoming offseason.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/ ... rthur.html

Anthopoulos is buying now, as tough as the season was. People can throw up trial balloons about trading Jose Bautista while he’s still dominant or trading Mark Buehrle or Jose Reyes to shed the salaries, but that’s not the plan. The Blue Jays aren’t planning to disassemble this group, failures and all. Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion are under contract for two more seasons, for a preposterous combined cost of $24 million. The consensus is Anthopoulos is safe for now, so he thinks the window stretches that long, at least.

“At least two. At least two,” says Anthopoulos. “A big part of why we did everything was to capitalize on players like Jose and Edwin, and that hasn’t changed. Two years is a long time . . . there’s no reason why we wouldn’t want those guys around, and I’m hopeful and optimistic that they would want to stay around, too.”

For that to happen, Alex Anthopoulos has to succeed within the box. The Jays have bats and they have young arms, and that’s something. Marcus Stroman is already a pro; Drew Hutchison has unexplored ability; Daniel Norris has that pretty curveball; Aaron Sanchez has room to grow, too.

“I think Aaron Sanchez could come into the rotation next year, health permitting, and be a very effective starter, because I believe he’s going to throw strikes and put the ball on the ground, and that’s going to allow him to pitch deep into games with tremendous stuff,” Anthopoulos says.

The Jays think they added some things that helped their pitchers stay healthy this year; they only used eight starters, and hope it can be replicated. There’s upside, sure.

And then there’s the box. The team’s central money issue has been well-documented; the Jays have a top-10 payroll, and Anthopoulos likes to point that out. He never complains.

But there’s no extra money. They had to get players to defer money to sign Ervin Santana at the start of the season, and then Santana bolted for Atlanta anyway. The Toronto Sun’s Bob Elliott, citing eight players, reported that Edward Rogers, the scion of the Rogers empire, told the team there would be money available at the deadline if the team was close. The team was close. Nothing happened.

Anthopoulos, for his part, insists the deadline wasn’t about the money.
Tyrone Slothrop
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,203

Re: Toronto Star: Blue Jays won't trade Bautista and Encarna 

Post#2 » by Tyrone Slothrop » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:43 am

Not going to read the article because any article about Rogers and money is depressing after I pay my phone bill, but good on the not trading Bautista and EE front. They make watching Jays games fun.
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#3 » by Santoki » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:17 am

I don't want to hear that there is money available if they need it. Just shut the **** up Alex and go make a deal that will tell us the real answer.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,884

Post#4 » by Michael Bradley » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:54 am

The part about Sanchez in the rotation is interesting. My gut feeling is that they will use Sanchez as closer due to financial restraints and lack of options, but if AA is being sincere about putting him in the rotation, then I'm glad he has some foresight rather than playing for 2015 only. With that said, I don't think it's wise to start him in the big league rotation right away, as 30 innings of great relief work doesn't change the four years of mediocre SP performance and troublesome command issues he had in that role. Let him earn his way on.

As far as Bautista and Edwin, I wasn't expecting Alex to trade them. However, the organization needs to make an honest effort to try to win with them. I'm not talking about signing a big free agent, but actually going into the season with a real bench, real starting 2B, etc, would be more than they did heading into 2014.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#5 » by whysoserious » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:20 pm

There's no doubt that Stroman, Sanchez, Norris and Hutch are all intriguing going forward. But if you're serious about contending in this two year window, you need established players that can be counted on. They need to spend money on an Ace, they need to improve the defense and solidify 2nd/3rd plus Center.

You can't send the message of we're going to keep Jose and Edwin to win but then say we need everything to go right with our young guys as they move up. That's the half-assed approach that hurts you.
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#6 » by Santoki » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:20 pm

If they didn't do it last offseason and they didn't do anything at the trade deadline, what makes anyone think they'll do it now? Don't get your hopes up again.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,359

Post#7 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:19 pm

If they're out of it by the all-star break next year, they'd be stupid not to trade them. Arguably they're foolish not to blow it up right now and go for a quick rebuild with all these young arms and a return haul of young position players.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,474

Post#8 » by Duffman100 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:45 pm

It will be the exact same line every offseason,

"Money is there, but felt like the price for {x-player} was too high. We'll go into the season and see what we can acquire at the trade deadline".

After inactivity at the trade deadline,

"We had conversations but we felt like the price for {x-player} was too high. We're confident in our team right now and we'll see what we can acquire in the offseason"

Rinse. Repeat.

edit: In fact, I bet if I tried hard enough I could find my post from last year that said the exact same thing.
Tyrone Slothrop
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,203

Post#9 » by Tyrone Slothrop » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:56 pm

Michael Bradley wrote:The part about Sanchez in the rotation is interesting. My gut feeling is that they will use Sanchez as closer due to financial restraints and lack of options, but if AA is being sincere about putting him in the rotation, then I'm glad he has some foresight rather than playing for 2015 only. With that said, I don't think it's wise to start him in the big league rotation right away, as 30 innings of great relief work doesn't change the four years of mediocre SP performance and troublesome command issues he had in that role. Let him earn his way on.

Yeah I think the best thing is for him and Norris to start at AAA as starters, see how they fare, and then call them up once injuries hit (assuming they've had success in AAA.) Hopefully the Jays aren't short sighted by trying to save a few bucks on new bullpen arms by having Sanchez start 2015 in the bullpen.
suntzuballin
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#10 » by suntzuballin » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:25 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:If they're out of it by the all-star break next year, they'd be stupid not to trade them. Arguably they're foolish not to blow it up right now and go for a quick rebuild with all these young arms and a return haul of young position players.

this probly gonna happen jose will want out b4 edwin..
suntzuballin
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#11 » by suntzuballin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:25 am

this thread should be who you think will be back and who you think will be back..
rarefind
RealGM
And1: 10,000

Post#12 » by rarefind » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:32 am

This is all irrelevant. The chips will fall with the fate of Beeston. If Beeston decides to not return, potentially taking a job with the MLB then his replacement will ultimately make a call on AA's job. No idea what direction this team will be headed until then.
Test of Wills
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#13 » by Test of Wills » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:42 am

The Jays need to develop their young arms the right way. Stroman and Hutch are seasoned and earned their spots, let Norris and Sanchez start the season in AAA. We need another experienced starter on this team that we can count on for durability and solid pitching, doesnt have to be a top flight Ace perhaps a Mat Latos.

Jays also need to move Reyes to second base. That would be the first of many moves to strengthen up our defence up the middle, pick up a solid SS that has a good glove, let Rasmus go, re-sign Melky, lets see what Gose can give us at the CF spot platooned with Pillar until Pompey can get seasoned in the minors.

Pitching first, defence second and offence last. Sounds easy but AA has a long winter ahead of em

Return to Toronto Blue Jays