Moderator: JaysRule15

s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,546

OT: Friedman leaving Rays, going to LAD 

Post#1 » by s e n s i » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:56 pm

this is pretty great news

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/522082870652051456[/tweet]
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Re: OT: Friedman leaving Rays, going to LAD 

Post#2 » by dagger » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:14 pm

Lucky Dodger fans, they have an impatient owner. Today's Jays new is the Seitzer is returning as batting coach. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he was the root of our ills, but seriously, the Jays seem intent on changing as little as possible. It's nice to have a fan base and media that are impatient, makes ownership impatient. Here in Toronto, we watch paint dry. no sense of urgency to do anything.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,071

Post#3 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:38 pm

Makes sense, can't ask for a better job than a place where the owners will pay whatever it takes to win. Hope he takes Maddon with him.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,884

Post#4 » by Michael Bradley » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:42 pm

Well, it's good news for the Jays with Friedman out of the division and league. It might be the beginning of the end of the Rays if Friedman takes Tampa's coaching staff as well. That team was built around the GM.
s e n s i
RealGM

Post#5 » by s e n s i » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:43 pm

dagger wrote:Lucky Dodger fans, they have an impatient owner. Today's Jays new is the Seitzer is returning as batting coach. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he was the root of our ills, but seriously, the Jays seem intent on changing as little as possible. It's nice to have a fan base and media that are impatient, makes ownership impatient. Here in Toronto, we watch paint dry. no sense of urgency to do anything.

they've had three different hitting coaches in as many seasons, is it really necessary for another just for the sake of it? seitzer isn't turning the likes of ryan goins and anthony gose into competent MLB hitters, and despite being a streaky offensive team, there's really nothing to suggest seitzer's post is one that's in dire need of change. scapegoating hitting coaches season after season doesn't change the fact that no matter how much you polish a turd...
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#6 » by satyr9 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:25 pm

I'm kind of excited to see what Friedman does with basically limitless funding. Dodgers have always had a fantastic scouting system IMO, so Friedman can come in and get creative from day 1, he doesn't have to re-build the staff first.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Post#7 » by dagger » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:37 pm

s e n s i wrote:
dagger wrote:Lucky Dodger fans, they have an impatient owner. Today's Jays new is the Seitzer is returning as batting coach. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he was the root of our ills, but seriously, the Jays seem intent on changing as little as possible. It's nice to have a fan base and media that are impatient, makes ownership impatient. Here in Toronto, we watch paint dry. no sense of urgency to do anything.

they've had three different hitting coaches in as many seasons, is it really necessary for another just for the sake of it? seitzer isn't turning the likes of ryan goins and anthony gose into competent MLB hitters, and despite being a streaky offensive team, there's really nothing to suggest seitzer's post is one that's in dire need of change. scapegoating hitting coaches season after season doesn't change the fact that no matter how much you polish a turd...

I wish you had read my post. I didn't say we should fire anyone in particular - just than nothing at all seems to be changing. Same president, GM, manager, coaching staff, probably the same lineup with anyone from this past season under contract or willing to sign here again. There is no urgency to do anything, despite 21 years of no playoffs. I mean, if I were Rogers riding this long string of playoff-free seasons I WOULD HAVE HIRED FRIEDMAN
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,884

Post#8 » by Michael Bradley » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:41 pm

satyr9 wrote:I'm kind of excited to see what Friedman does with basically limitless funding. Dodgers have always had a fantastic scouting system IMO, so Friedman can come in and get creative from day 1, he doesn't have to re-build the staff first.

Friedman's strength is trading, and he has a surplus of players he can move (albeit some expensive ones) and a good farm system. His trading made up for his and his scouting team's lack of drafting success, as he left Tampa's farm system pretty barren (good for us).

I think he will be a little different in that he will sign an expensive player now and then that he would not have been able to acquire in Tampa due to limited funds, but I don't think he will be too different, especially if he brings Maddon with him. The Dodgers are a preferred FA destination for free agents and international talent so Friedman would be foolish to continue his frugal ways with the Dodgers, but I'm not expecting him to abandon his strengths either.

It will be interesting to see what happens, but I think I speak for everyone when I say thankfully he is no longer in Tampa. Maybe the Tropicana Curse ending this season forced Friedman to reconsider his future.
s e n s i
RealGM

Post#9 » by s e n s i » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:17 pm

dagger wrote:
s e n s i wrote:

I wish you had read my post. I didn't say we should fire anyone in particular - just than nothing at all seems to be changing. Same president, GM, manager, coaching staff, probably the same lineup with anyone from this past season under contract or willing to sign here again. There is no urgency to do anything, despite 21 years of no playoffs. I mean, if I were Rogers riding this long string of playoff-free seasons I WOULD HAVE HIRED FRIEDMAN

well, so would i as friedman has clearly proven to be one of the best GM's in all of sport. not sure what bringing back seitzer has to do with that though.

torontoaces04
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#10 » by torontoaces04 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:10 am

Getting Friedman out of the AL East is good for the Jays, and like others have said, I'm very interested to see what he is able to do with a blank chequebook.

Maybe the Rays will ask to speak with Anthopoulos about the vacancy...here's to hoping!
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,151

Post#11 » by Mehar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:44 am

Wish he could have been the new GM of the Jays, but i am glad he will be out of the AL East. Hopefully he can take Joe Maddon with him, along with some key scouts and coaches out of Tampa as well.
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#12 » by satyr9 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:50 pm

Mehar wrote:Wish he could have been the new GM of the Jays, but i am glad he will be out of the AL East. Hopefully he can take Joe Maddon with him, along with some key scouts and coaches out of Tampa as well.

I love me some Maddon, but even he gets way too much credit for what TB accomplished. It's working and a lot is his doing, but that doesn't mean his approach is a cookie cutter formula he could take elsewhere. Some of the descriptions of how he gets his clubhouse gelling, well I imagine if he did the same thing in LA with the players they have... let's just say they would not react the same way the homegrown internally raised kids coming to the bigs for the first time in TB would. Gigantic **** of revolution and rebellion is far more likely, 'cause Hanley or Puig or whoever will not enjoy the post-win clubhouse dance party.

Shifts, bullpen, lineups, all that Maddon does as well as anyone, but that stuff really shouldn't be hard and done perfectly is probably only adding a win or so of value over a season, although done horribly you can lose some, so the swing is harder to evaluate. The steering of the ship has unquantifiable value, but we're in zero position to judge. Still, he's done it fantastically in TB, but I would be very hesitant to use his same approach in a franchise that doesn't function under TB's limitations.
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,182

Post#13 » by Hoopstarr » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:28 am

I'm gonna guess Friedman won't be as good with more money. He thrived under constraints and may not be as good without the challenge. How many GMs have made a similar transition?
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,051

Post#14 » by Schad » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:11 pm

Hoopstarr wrote:I'm gonna guess Friedman won't be as good with more money. He thrived under constraints and may not be as good without the challenge. How many GMs have made a similar transition?

The biggest difficulty he'll face is that he won't have the same freedom of action as he did in Tampa. There, the only constraint was his budget; there were no year-to-year expectations, fan reactions/PR really weren't a consideration because they had no fans, and there was very little interference from the top...all the reasons I've heard cited for Beane's unwillingness to leave Oakland. The Dodgers' ownership may suggest now that they'll be equally hands-off save for setting the budget, but given the sheer weight of their financial commitment, I doubt that it'll last unless Friedman gets instant results.
**** your asterisk.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays