Moderator: JaysRule15

Raps_Swingman
Analyst
And1: 211

2015 ZiPS Projections for the BJs 

Post#1 » by Raps_Swingman » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:14 pm

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2015-zips-projections-toronto-blue-jays/

Batters
It’s likely promising for the 2015 edition of the Blue Jays — a club that finished second in the AL East last season by Base Runs — it’s likely promising that five of the ten best WAR projections per ZiPS this year belong to players who’ve been acquired over the offseason. Ezequiel Carrera (548 PA, 1.1 WAR), Josh Donaldson (634 PA, 5.1 WAR), Russell Martin (453 PA, 3.6 WAR), Michael Saunders (442 PA, 2.1 WAR), and Devon Travis (505 PA, 0.9 WAR) all profile at least as competent bench players or, in the case of Donaldson, potential MVP candidates*.

*At least, that is, in a world without Mike Trout.

Some pretty interesting projections. They've got Stroman atop of the heep in terms of piching. But run prevention numbers are pretty similar to that of the old balls duo (Dickey + MB)

I'm interested to see what guys like Saunders, Pompey and Izturis can bring to the table. Obviously 2nd base is our biggest question mark heading into the season.
That's what she said.
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Re: 2015 ZiPS Projections for the BJs 

Post#2 » by MikeM » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:37 pm

I honestly don't give a **** about who plays 2B. You could bring back Homer Bush and our lineup would still be elite.

We have no pitching. Unless Norris becomes Stroman v.2
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,407

Post#3 » by Lateral Quicks » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:04 pm

Fascinating they project a .700 OPS for Pillar but .650 for Pompey. In fact Pompey's prediction looks downright miserable. I think he'll surprise to the upside, but you never know with young players.

I wouldn't say we have no pitching. Dickey and Buerhle are a solid bet to provide you with 200+ non-disastrous innings each. I also think Stroman and Hutch are solid bets to be our best two starters this year. With relatively good health our startrs should be fine, if somewhat unspectacular. The bullpen is my bigger concern at the moment as AA has yet to acquire an established RHP for the late innings.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Nights King
Banned User
And1: 113

Post#4 » by Nights King » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:33 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:Fascinating they project a .700 OPS for Pillar but .650 for Pompey. In fact Pompey's prediction looks downright miserable. I think he'll surprise to the upside, but you never know with young players.

I wouldn't say we have no pitching. Dickey and Buerhle are a solid bet to provide you with 200+ non-disastrous innings each. I also think Stroman and Hutch are solid bets to be our best two starters this year. With relatively good health our startrs should be fine, if somewhat unspectacular. The bullpen is my bigger concern at the moment as AA has yet to acquire an established RHP for the late innings.

Its actually not, for a guy who just turned 22 with limited upper minors experience that's a very sound projection. I would personally be happy with 1.2 WAR in 561 PA's, its a solid foundation to build on.
zong
Assistant Coach
And1: 101

Post#5 » by zong » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:51 pm

Those are some sweet projections for Devon Travis.

Also, when did we get Frank Francisco back?!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays