ImageImageImageImageImage

Red Sox sign Moncada for $63m

Moderator: JaysRule15

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,485

Red Sox sign Moncada for $63m 

Post#1 » by dagger » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:43 pm

Likely no impact for this season, but it potentially sets up bad things for winning the AL East in the future if Rogers is going to spend like a small market, considering the prospect depth the Sox have.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cuban-supe ... 07830.html
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Re: Red Sox sign Moncada for $63m 

Post#2 » by vaff87 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:26 pm

Boo.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst
And1: 647

Post#3 » by Graham's Cracker » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:50 pm

Sucks, but I'm pretty sure that we were all under the impression he'd go to the Yanks or Sox, so it's hardly surprising. An already stellar system gets better.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst
And1: 647

Post#4 » by Graham's Cracker » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:52 pm

dagger wrote:Likely no impact for this season, but it potentially sets up bad things for winning the AL East in the future if Rogers is going to spend like a small market, considering the prospect depth the Sox have.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cuban-supe ... 07830.html

The one impact for this season, is that the depth gives the Sox the ability to swing a big deal (Hamels) without depleting their system much.
torontoaces04
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#5 » by torontoaces04 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:55 pm

That's a lot of cell phones...
Kinger95
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,730

Post#6 » by Kinger95 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:06 pm

I'm shocked that the yanks didn't buy him! They said for that money they can get proven mlb talent which Is true but they needed him way more than the sox. I think this is a risky move cuz he's never played an inning or had an at bat and they just tossed 60 mill at a prospect , there's a very low chance he's worth that imo
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,485

Post#7 » by dagger » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:15 pm

Kinger95 wrote:I'm shocked that the yanks didn't buy him! They said for that money they can get proven mlb talent which Is true but they needed him way more than the sox. I think this is a risky move cuz he's never played an inning or had an at bat and they just tossed 60 mill at a prospect , there's a very low chance he's worth that imo

It's just money.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#8 » by Michael Bradley » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:18 pm

The Red Sox are building the smart way. Keep your best prospects, sign free agents, trade expendable prospects for big league help, and invest heavily into the farm system. The Jays don't have the appealing FA destination to follow a similar path, but that's the blue print for a big market team. The Dodgers and Cubs are working the same way.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,087

Post#9 » by Schad » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:30 pm

Michael Bradley wrote:The Red Sox are building the smart way. Keep your best prospects, sign free agents, trade expendable prospects for big league help, and invest heavily into the farm system. The Jays don't have the appealing FA destination to follow a similar path, but that's the blue print for a big market team. The Dodgers and Cubs are working the same way.

And never go 'all in' when it comes to the farm system; ship prospects to make trades when advantageous, but never leave the cupboards bare, or you'll be looking at a substantial downswing when the free agent acquisitions get old and you have no one knocking on the door. The Sox learned that lesson the hard way, and the Yankees are quickly discovering that they aren't immune, either.
**** your asterisk.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,087

Post#10 » by Schad » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:37 am

dagger wrote:
Kinger95 wrote:I'm shocked that the yanks didn't buy him! They said for that money they can get proven mlb talent which Is true but they needed him way more than the sox. I think this is a risky move cuz he's never played an inning or had an at bat and they just tossed 60 mill at a prospect , there's a very low chance he's worth that imo

It's just money.

It is just money, but it's money that comes with opportunity cost, as all such spends do. That same ~$30m x 2 could land you most of the top Dominican/Venezuelan prospects for a year; there are inherent complications that'd likely prevent that (ownership being unwilling, kiddies that have relationships with teams long before July 2nd), but such a basket of goods would likely produce more value than one Moncada.

Which isn't to say this is a bad deal, because with the team control provisions being what they are, there's a good chance that six years of Moncada plus $63m checks in at below $100m expended, and he'd need to average less than 3 WAR/year over those six seasons to hit that mark.
**** your asterisk.
Kinger95
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,730

Post#11 » by Kinger95 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:41 am

He's a prospect I'm not saying he's a bust but there's still lots of risk to this signing. I don't know what the percentage is but there's a chance that he produces 0 war over the duration of this contract.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays