The New Turf

Moderator: JaysRule15

Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Re: The New Turf 

Post#21 » by Geddy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:13 pm

the turf looks like it has some lines on it now so I'm wondering if they have been running something over it to make it a little less softer. The balls hit on the ground also don't seem to die as fast as they did in the first few games
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#22 » by BigLeagueChew » Fri May 29, 2015 1:02 am

Park Factors from ESPN

Rogers Centre ranks as follows:

Runs: 22nd
HR'S: 15th
HITS: 19th
Doubles: 23rd
Triples: 6th
Walks: 12th

Here is last years ranking on the old turf

Runs: 9th
HR's: 3rd
Hits: 7th
Doubles: 6th
Triples: 10th
Walks: 27th

Any of these numbers surprising to anyone considering the new turf? Right now these numbers would indicate a neutral park instead of something favorable to hitters, especially if something is hit on the ground. Line drives or pop fly's are a different story. Keep in mind with these stats that we have the best offense in baseball right now and some pitching that needs sorting.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor
Raps_Swingman
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#23 » by Raps_Swingman » Fri May 29, 2015 12:05 pm

BigLeagueChew wrote:Park Factors from ESPN

Rogers Centre ranks as follows:

Runs: 22nd
HR'S: 15th
HITS: 19th
Doubles: 23rd
Triples: 6th
Walks: 12th

Here is last years ranking on the old turf

Runs: 9th
HR's: 3rd
Hits: 7th
Doubles: 6th
Triples: 10th
Walks: 27th

Any of these numbers surprising to anyone considering the new turf? Right now these numbers would indicate a neutral park instead of something favorable to hitters, especially if something is hit on the ground. Line drives or pop fly's are a different story. Keep in mind with these stats that we have the best offense in baseball right now and some pitching that needs sorting.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

I wonder what the runs scored would be in the games played this year, if we we're still playing on the green concrete?

The Doubles # stands out to me the most, those gap balls are just dying and getting cut off, from what I've seen watching the games.

Would be interesting to revisit these numbers later in the year and see if anything normalizes close to what we saw last season.
That's what she said.
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

The New Turf 

Post#24 » by Santoki » Fri May 29, 2015 1:18 pm

I don't think Walks is a relevant statistic. Also, let's wait until the end of the year to look at these stats.
rarefind
RealGM
And1: 10,055

Post#25 » by rarefind » Fri May 29, 2015 2:42 pm

I'd be interested in double plays turned as well.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#26 » by Skin Blues » Fri May 29, 2015 4:16 pm

I think singles would be the most relevant, although park factors are really not valid without a few years of data anyway. Something like BABIP on groundballs would probably be reliable if it was available.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM

Post#27 » by BigLeagueChew » Fri May 29, 2015 4:53 pm

Raps_Swingman wrote:I wonder what the runs scored would be in the games played this year, if we we're still playing on the green concrete?

The Doubles # stands out to me the most, those gap balls are just dying and getting cut off, from what I've seen watching the games.

Would be interesting to revisit these numbers later in the year and see if anything normalizes close to what we saw last season.

Well our offense would have more runs per game, our pitching is tough to say because our only groundball starting pitcher is Sanchez, his problems early were throwing strikes, the rest of our starters are mostly strikeout pitchers and more prone to fly balls.

rarefind wrote:I'd be interested in double plays turned as well.

Will try to find those numbers.

Santoki wrote:I don't think Walks is a relevant statistic. Also, let's wait until the end of the year to look at these stats.

It's not but ESPN listed them for some reason.

Skin Blues wrote:I think singles would be the most relevant, although park factors are really not valid without a few years of data anyway. Something like BABIP on groundballs would probably be reliable if it was available.

Agreed, although their have been over 3500 plate appearance at Rogers Centre already this season. The turf might get quicker
BigLeagueChew
RealGM

Post#28 » by BigLeagueChew » Fri May 29, 2015 4:55 pm

Another interesting link for park factors here by handedness(LHB/RHB)

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/sortable/index.php?cid=1830256

Return to Toronto Blue Jays