And1: 19,307

Re: ST: Yankees @ Blue Jays | May 4 - 6 

Post#301 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed May 6, 2015 1:07 am

dagger wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
BigLeagueChew wrote:
Randy Wolf :(

Doubront should be ready soon enough.

He hasn't pitched an inning of real game action, so I don't know what you mean by "soon enough". At this rate, it might be June.

But Hoffman makes his debut in Dunedin in nine days. By Mid-June he ought to be top of the Jays' rotation.

June sounds soon enough to me, but I'm sure they'll accelerate him like everyone else as this rotation collapses to pieces.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,405

Post#302 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed May 6, 2015 1:07 am

Hayhurst is on board with trading one of the sluggers for pitching help.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/ha ... g-1.275744

If we're getting two #3-type established pitchers and a top prospect or two, I'm down. That would help the team a lot more than it hurts it.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#303 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed May 6, 2015 1:08 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:Hayhurst is on board with trading one of the sluggers for pitching help.

If we're getting two #3-type established pitchers and a top prospect or two, I'm down. That would help the team a lot more than it hurts it.

We'd go all the way from a 82 win projection to 82 wins.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#304 » by Schad » Wed May 6, 2015 1:10 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:Hayhurst is on board with trading one of the sluggers for pitching help.

There's absolutely no chance of us getting two mid-rotation established starters and any sort of prospect. No team that needs a slugger is going to gut their rotation to do so.
**** your asterisk.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,604

Post#305 » by Fairview4Life » Wed May 6, 2015 1:11 am

ARod is hitting a home run here, thanks to the camera focusing on the booing guys.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Sifu
Veteran
And1: 1,005

Post#306 » by Sifu » Wed May 6, 2015 1:12 am

Pitchers should throw underhanded and slow pitch lob it in. Its tough to get big exit velocity from that. Bring the outfielders in and we got ourselves an awesome starting rotation.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#307 » by Fairview4Life » Wed May 6, 2015 1:17 am

Goins is getting closer. Must be killing Buck not to be able to say Goins, Goins, gone.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#308 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed May 6, 2015 1:19 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:

Wrong. So now not only do coaches not matter, but no team should ever make a trade because it won't impact their record. Interesting.
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#309 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed May 6, 2015 1:22 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

Wrong. So now not only do coaches not matter, but no team should ever make a trade because it won't impact their record. Interesting.

Get your head out of the clouds. They're not trading Jose Bautista for two #3 starters (which is what it would actually require for that deal to make sense from a value perspective). What team is making that deal?
Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#310 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed May 6, 2015 1:22 am

Schadenfreude wrote:

There's absolutely no chance of us getting two mid-rotation established starters and any sort of prospect. No team that needs a slugger is going to gut their rotation to do so.

Not from one team, likely not. But a three-way deal could certainly happen.

And if it doesn't, then you don't trade him.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#311 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed May 6, 2015 1:24 am

And even if you could, by some chance, get a one win upgrade on Bautista's bat by acquiring 2 MLB SPs, that still wouldn't even make this .500 team good enough to make the postseason. It's treading water.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#312 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed May 6, 2015 1:24 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:We'd go all the way from a 82 win projection to 82 wins.

Get your head out of the clouds. They're not trading Jose Bautista for two #3 starters (which is what it would actually require for that deal to make sense). What team is making that deal?

My head isn't in the clouds. Bautista is one of the best offensive players in baseball. You don't think he's worth two middle-of-the-rotation starters? We'd be looking at expiring starters or those with with another year or two on their deals, but still.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#313 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed May 6, 2015 1:28 am

Damn it Jenknuts, we need you to be good. Be good!
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#314 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed May 6, 2015 1:33 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:

Get your head out of the clouds. They're not trading Jose Bautista for two #3 starters (which is what it would actually require for that deal to make sense). What team is making that deal?

My head isn't in the clouds. Bautista is one of the best offensive players in baseball. You don't think he's worth two middle-of-the-rotation starters? We'd be looking at expiring starters or those with with another year or two on their deals, but still.

He's also 34 years old and only has one year of his deal left after this year. I'm struggling to understand which contenders are going to take away multiple major league starters off their own team to acquire him? Such organizations will want to move prospects to make value gains on the big league team and doing what you're suggesting would not be that.

So apart from such a deal likely not helping the Jays at all (and if it does, not enough to make any real difference), it's not a realistic scenario.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#315 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed May 6, 2015 1:36 am

If you really want to make this team good enough to win the division, you don't remove the team's best and most valuable players from the equation. You start trading minor league prospects to add major league starters. That would make for some serious short term value gains. But I don't think anybody here has the appetite to do that at this point (even AA).
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,558

Post#316 » by s e n s i » Wed May 6, 2015 1:41 am

if we're so desperate for two #3 starters, we may as well just suck it up and wait until two of buehrle/dickey/hutchison start pitching to their track records (because they really can't get any worse). won't have to embarrass ourselves searching high and low for a team mindlessly looking to blow up their rotation and better yet, it won't cost us our best hitter!
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#317 » by BigLeagueChew » Wed May 6, 2015 1:49 am

Martin is overpaid.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#318 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed May 6, 2015 1:49 am

BigLeagueChew wrote:Martin is overpaid.

Boosts his numbers in meaningless situations. Overrated.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#319 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed May 6, 2015 1:53 am

Turns out we can hit the pitchers not named Pineda.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#320 » by Fairview4Life » Wed May 6, 2015 1:59 am

Moral victories should be like an overtime loss in hockey.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays