ST: White Sox vs Jays May 25-27

Moderator: JaysRule15

Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Re: ST: White Sox vs Jays May 25-27 

Post#401 » by Michael Bradley » Wed May 27, 2015 8:54 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Michael Bradley wrote:Osuna is definitely being used too much. Not surprising given how good he's been and how desperate Gibbons is to win/save his job, but it was going to hurt eventually, and it did today.

Pretty sure most managers would use their elite reliever often when the entire rest of the bullpen can't be relied upon to get outs regardless of their job status (although Loup has finally looked good in his last two outings). And if Gibbons didn't, I imagine you'd be one of the first in line to criticize him.

Just as I imagined using Osuna four times in five games (some times for less than an inning) would be defended by you. Overusing relievers exists. It's not a term only reserved for Gibbons.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,318

Post#402 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed May 27, 2015 9:03 pm

Michael Bradley wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Michael Bradley wrote:Osuna is definitely being used too much. Not surprising given how good he's been and how desperate Gibbons is to win/save his job, but it was going to hurt eventually, and it did today.

Pretty sure most managers would use their elite reliever often when the entire rest of the bullpen can't be relied upon to get outs regardless of their job status (although Loup has finally looked good in his last two outings). And if Gibbons didn't, I imagine you'd be one of the first in line to criticize him.

Just as I imagined using Osuna four times in five games (some times for less than an inning) would be defended by you. Overusing relievers exists. It's not a term only reserved for Gibbons.

You criticize the manager for not pitching his best reliever in high leverage spots and now you criticize him for doing it (despite it only being 3 innings in 5 days and all in situations/close games where he was much needed). Either way, the guy can't win with you no matter what he does.

I don't even want to imagine how bad the bitching would get if he started using Steve Delabar or one of the many other bullpen unreliables in some of the Osuna situations. :lol:
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,558

Post#403 » by s e n s i » Wed May 27, 2015 9:27 pm

if Michael Bradley was GM, manager, team doctor and head trainer all in one role the team would be a perennial contender
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Sifu
Veteran
And1: 1,005

Re: Re: ST: White Sox vs Jays May 25-27 

Post#404 » by Sifu » Wed May 27, 2015 9:37 pm

s e n s i wrote:if Michael Bradley was GM, manager, team doctor and head trainer all in one role the team would be a perennial contender

I think some of his comments are fair. Maybe not so much today in terms if using Osuna.

I think today, the issue was about our defense. The last few games have been horrendous and at least three games in the past two weeks, the losses are directly attributable to crappy defense.

The lack of credible depth in the OF is actually AA's fault.

The sad thing is that we will continue to have games like this going forward, where opposing teams score multiple runs off fly balls that any credible outfielder would catch.

As well, we complain about Pillar, but really who do we have that will fill that role?
hst420
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#405 » by hst420 » Wed May 27, 2015 9:45 pm

1-14 RISP wtf Jays can't do anything right, no killer instinct.
s e n s i
RealGM

Post#406 » by s e n s i » Wed May 27, 2015 9:52 pm

donaldson has 10 HR in 26 games (105 ABs) at the dome so far this season. he had 11 in 78 games (296 ABs) all of last season at the coliseum.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,624

Post#407 » by Fairview4Life » Wed May 27, 2015 10:22 pm

Sifu wrote:
s e n s i wrote:if Michael Bradley was GM, manager, team doctor and head trainer all in one role the team would be a perennial contender

I think some of his comments are fair. Maybe not so much today in terms if using Osuna.

I think today, the issue was about our defense. The last few games have been horrendous and at least three games in the past two weeks, the losses are directly attributable to crappy defense.

The lack of credible depth in the OF is actually AA's fault.

The sad thing is that we will continue to have games like this going forward, where opposing teams score multiple runs off fly balls that any credible outfielder would catch.

As well, we complain about Pillar, but really who do we have that will fill that role?

The Jays are on outfielders 4-7 at the moment, and Valencia and Colabello have been far better than credible. Pillar was ok, and then not, and Carrera has been fine for a 7th outfielder. That's actually pretty damn good.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Xaos
Sixth Man
And1: 1,854

Post#408 » by Xaos » Wed May 27, 2015 10:23 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:Send Pillar down, move Carrera to CF, and call Scott up.

Yea please!! Even though Carrera cost us the game today.
chhoon
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#409 » by chhoon » Wed May 27, 2015 10:54 pm

There's still hope guys. 2 out of 3 against the Twins not sure about Washington tho
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,318

Post#410 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed May 27, 2015 11:01 pm

hst420 wrote:1-14 RISP wtf Jays can't do anything right, no killer instinct.

Or Samardzija just pitched well.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Sifu
Veteran

Re: Re: Re: ST: White Sox vs Jays May 25-27 

Post#411 » by Sifu » Wed May 27, 2015 11:49 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:The Jays are on outfielders 4-7 at the moment, and Valencia and Colabello have been far better than credible. Pillar was ok, and then not, and Carrera has been fine for a 7th outfielder. That's actually pretty damn good.

I will disagree. In terms of offense, they are good, but defensively they have not been good. Valencia has been passable, but Colabello has been a defensive nightmare.

That's what I referred to as credible - their ability to actually play the outfield.
s e n s i
RealGM

Re: Re: Re: ST: White Sox vs Jays May 25-27 

Post#412 » by s e n s i » Thu May 28, 2015 12:08 am

Sifu wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:The Jays are on outfielders 4-7 at the moment, and Valencia and Colabello have been far better than credible. Pillar was ok, and then not, and Carrera has been fine for a 7th outfielder. That's actually pretty damn good.

I will disagree. In terms of offense, they are good, but defensively they have not been good. Valencia has been passable, but Colabello has been a defensive nightmare.

That's what I referred to as credible - their ability to actually play the outfield.

you could probably get the 4th, 5th and 6th outfielders of any team and although they might be better defensively, it's hard to complain about colabello, valencia and carrera combining for 1.6 fWAR overall. i get it, it's torture watching colabello out there -- but it's just something we'll have suck up and accept considering his OPS is still over 1.000 with a wRC+ of 182 being a net positive overall. and bautista will be back long before colabello's BABIP regresses, which it will.

our outfield was saunders, pompey/pillar, and bautista to start the season, an outfield many figured would at least be average defensively -- if not better than cabrera/rasmus/bautista in 2014. it's nice having rajai davis' and anthony goses and anyone not named chris colabello playing the OF, but i think i'll take it right now since these back-ups haven't really cost us overall. the teams overall defense should still be average and a bench with colabello and valencia on it is more than sufficient will really be nice to have come next week in washington.

Xaos
Sixth Man

Post#413 » by Xaos » Thu May 28, 2015 12:54 am

You guys okay if I did the next game thread?
s e n s i
RealGM

Post#414 » by s e n s i » Thu May 28, 2015 3:00 am

Xaos wrote:You guys okay if I did the next game thread?

jays won this series so randle makes the next one or gets banned

Xaos
Sixth Man

Post#415 » by Xaos » Thu May 28, 2015 10:53 am

Got it.

Thanks!
Sifu
Veteran

Re: Re: Re: Re: ST: White Sox vs Jays May 25-27 

Post#416 » by Sifu » Thu May 28, 2015 11:21 am

s e n s i wrote:you could probably get the 4th, 5th and 6th outfielders of any team and although they might be better defensively, it's hard to complain about colabello, valencia and carrera combining for 1.6 fWAR overall. i get it, it's torture watching colabello out there -- but it's just something we'll have suck up and accept considering his OPS is still over 1.000 with a wRC+ of 182 being a net positive overall. and bautista will be back long before colabello's BABIP regresses, which it will.

our outfield was saunders, pompey/pillar, and bautista to start the season, an outfield many figured would at least be average defensively -- if not better than cabrera/rasmus/bautista in 2014. it's nice having rajai davis' and anthony goses and anyone not named chris colabello playing the OF, but i think i'll take it right now since these back-ups haven't really cost us overall. the teams overall defense should still be average and a bench with colabello and valencia on it is more than sufficient will really be nice to have come next week in washington.

I think Colabello has cost us a couple games already, but you're right in that he has been hitting a storm and might be a wash or even ahead overall.

But my point wasn't about Colabello being on the team but rather the necessity of him playing the outfield.

I get it that these are our 4, 5 and 6 outfielders. But one of our top three was 21 yrs old and had a cup of tea in AAA. There was a good chance Pompey would struggle and he did.

Another had a serious injury in spring training and had secondary complications.

Two of our outfielders had big questions marks heading into the season.

Anyways, Colabello in the OF is like having Francisco at third or Edwin at third. I get it that the team wants the bat there, but I don't have to like it.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#417 » by dagger » Thu May 28, 2015 9:11 pm

Scott Copeland has been sent to BUF. No replacement on the 25-man named yet
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Raps_Swingman
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#418 » by Raps_Swingman » Thu May 28, 2015 10:26 pm

dagger wrote:Scott Copeland has been sent to BUF. No replacement on the 25-man named yet

Doubront I'm guessing
That's what she said.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#419 » by polo007 » Fri May 29, 2015 5:01 am

dagger wrote:Scott Copeland has been sent to BUF. No replacement on the 25-man named yet

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SNBarryDavis/status/604126173350772736[/tweet]
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#420 » by Skin Blues » Fri May 29, 2015 7:29 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
hst420 wrote:1-14 RISP wtf Jays can't do anything right, no killer instinct.

Or Samardzija just pitched well.

no no no, it's a lack of killer instinct. If these boards are for anything, it's creating and then complaining about small sample narratives.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays