ImageImageImageImageImage

Matt Boyd Scouting Report... share what you know.

Moderator: JaysRule15

chargerxthirty
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Matt Boyd Scouting Report... share what you know. 

Post#1 » by chargerxthirty » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:00 pm

Matt Boyd was scratched from his start and it's rumored that he will be summoned for Saturdays start and not Doubront.

Does anyone have a scouting report on this guy? Pictures, video, articles etc. MLB Comparable? I heard he's been nasty this year and that he's been missing bats. Just looking for more stuff to see and read about him.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,497

Re: Matt Boyd Scouting Report... share what you know. 

Post#2 » by dagger » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:08 pm

There is a fair bit online. He's a prospect, 24, who seemed unlikely to be more than a fringe major leaguer for lack of velocity, but seems to have added a bit and perhaps improved one of his pitches. He's described as a cerebral guy who puts a lot of work into game prep. He misses a lot of bats, but also gives up some solid contact, so not a lockdown type. His second stint at New Hampshire this year was a lot better than his first, last season, and his first two starts at Buffalo were very encouraging.

I would caution, however, that there are also rumours he was held back for trade purposes - packaged, perhaps, with Navarro.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#3 » by Santoki » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:42 pm

dagger wrote:There is a fair bit online. He's a prospect, 24, who seemed unlikely to be more than a fringe major leaguer for lack of velocity, but seems to have added a bit and perhaps improved one of his pitches. He's described as a cerebral guy who puts a lot of work into game prep. He misses a lot of bats, but also gives up some solid contact, so not a lockdown type. His second stint at New Hampshire this year was a lot better than his first, last season, and his first two starts at Buffalo were very encouraging.

I would caution, however, that there are also rumours he was held back for trade purposes - packaged, perhaps, with Navarro.

Someone track that flight path...
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#4 » by Skin Blues » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:44 pm

Knowing nothing about him other than that description, he sounds like Marco Estrada.

Looking at his stats, he seems to have been excellent every step of the way. I believe in his .379 BABIP in 2014 at AA about as much as I do his .199 BABIP at AA this season. Which is to say: not at all. 15.7 K-BB% for his first taste of AA is very impressive, so we can safely ignore the ballooned ERA. The fact that he has bumped that up to 19.1% at AA this year (currently ranks 1st in the league) and 25% (!!!) in two starts with Buffalo is even more impressive. I'd love to see what he could do at the major league level right now.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,497

Post#5 » by dagger » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:03 pm

John Lott wrote about him today. As Lott noted, Boyd will pitching tomorrow "somewhere". Strangely, tomorrow's starter STILL hasn't been announced. The Jays would have to make moves for a spot on both the 40-man and 25-man rosters for Boyd to pitch for the Jays tomorrow. That's certainly not too difficult to arrange. I believe they only have 39 on the 40-man now. But the longer this lingers, the more one might be tempted to believe he is part of trade talks.

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/mlb/toronto-blue-jays-prospect-matt-boyd-learns-from-rude-awakening-nears-majors-thanks-to-dads-advice
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#6 » by dballislife » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:39 am

he throws with his left hand and arm
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
engageTHEmasses
Senior
And1: 206

Post#7 » by engageTHEmasses » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:18 am

http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2015/6/26/8855513/matt-boyd-selected-by-blue-jays-rob-rasmussen-optioned-to-buffalo

Immediately following a 12-2 victory over the Rangers Friday night, the Blue Jays announced that they have optioned left-handed reliever Rob Rasmussen to the triple-A Buffalo Bisons in order to create a spot for left-handed starter Matt Boyd. Boyd was the Jays' sixth round pick in 2013 and finds himself added to the 40-man roster in his third professional season.

Boyd, 24, was widely speculated as the callup after he was scratched from his scheduled start for the Bisons on Thursday, although the Blue Jays tried to keep it a secret. On Friday morning, Sportsnet's Jeff Blair reported that Boyd was not with the Bisons on the road in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Boyd will become the 42nd Blue Jays pitcher to make his major league debut as a starter, the last being an awful Sean Nolin back on May 24, 2013. The Jays are 19-22 historically in such games, with the starter averaging just over five innings and earning a mean game score of 45.

According to Minor League Ball's Ezra Jones, Boyd's pedestrian fastball out of the draft was elevated to a plus pitch after a successful regimen with weighted balls. He has three breaking balls: a curve, a change, and a slider.

Rasmussen appeared in Friday night's game, giving up a hard-hit single to Mitch Moreland in an otherwise clean ninth.
===========
The Boy wrote:
trick wrote:Slavery was also an old-time tradition...

wtf bruh

Derrick Rose wrote:They're saying us and Golden State are the super teams.
engageTHEmasses
Senior
And1: 206

Post#8 » by engageTHEmasses » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:21 am

And for ****'s and giggle's...

===========
The Boy wrote:
trick wrote:Slavery was also an old-time tradition...

wtf bruh

Derrick Rose wrote:They're saying us and Golden State are the super teams.
kayliecee
Veteran
And1: 3,505

Post#9 » by kayliecee » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:05 pm

He's confirmed on bluejays.com as the starter. Also on Yahoo and ESPN.

From the John Lott story: "He has focused this season on tightening his slider to complement his fastball, changeup and curveball." He typically goes after hitters, not a corner-painter, strikes out a lot of batters, walks few. I'm excited to see him, but I have to go watch my brother play this afternoon.
John Gibbons: "I have to do what's best for these guys and not what some bozo on RealGM thinks." (Paraphrasing)
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#10 » by North_of_Border » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:14 am

He seems like one of those dominant minor league prospects who will top out as a back end of the rotation or bullpen role in the Majors. Plus he is 24 already, so he is close to the what you see is what you get level

I think its a great time for the Jays to sell high on him.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays