ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN Article on Blue Jays Financial History

Moderator: JaysRule15

Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,323

Re: ESPN Article on Blue Jays Financial History 

Post#21 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri Oct 2, 2015 11:29 pm

Kurtz wrote:So how has Beeston been allowed to remain the GM when he cost his bosses millions of dollars annually for absolutely no logical reason? I mean, the currency equalization cheques the Jays would have received this year and next would have been worth what $5mil? $10 mil a piece? I mean that can buy you some decent talent...

Could have been used to sign Ervin Santana instead of passing the hat around the clubhouse.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#22 » by Yosemite Dan » Sat Oct 3, 2015 4:34 am

The true barometer of whether Rogers plans to open the purse strings is if AA re-signs. I seriously doubt he would stay in Toronto (where the Jays success now makes him a hot GM commodity and giving him leverage) if he's not assured by Rogers and the new president that the payroll will be significantly bumped up by at least 20-25%.
youngtea
Sixth Man
And1: 1,045

Post#23 » by youngtea » Sat Oct 3, 2015 6:37 am

Yosemite Dan wrote:The true barometer of whether Rogers plans to open the purse strings is if AA re-signs. I seriously doubt he would stay in Toronto (where the Jays success now makes him a hot GM commodity and giving him leverage) if he's not assured by Rogers and the new president that the payroll will be significantly bumped up by at least 20-25%.

I'd be happy if they resigned Price. 30 million for 6 years isn't something the Jays have ever committed to.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#24 » by Scott Hall » Sat Oct 3, 2015 7:15 am

It's hard to get a read on what Rogers will do...

I remember being almost accepting to the fact that we had become a small market team like the Expos
playing in front of small crowds in a market that seemed to have lost all hope.

Then there was that cold night in early December of 2005 where we signed AJ Burnett then we got
Troy Glaus and signed BJ Ryan etc (maybe not in that order) that was shocking especially since we
had let Delgado go the year prior.

Then nobody thought we could afford to keep V-Dub and Rogers gave him one of the richest contracts in baseball...

Then there was the 2012 Marlins trade and Dickey trade that nobody thought Rogers would approve...

I think the Martin contract last year raised a few eyebrows last year in a good and bad way...

I think Rogers has been apprehensive about spending blindly on hope and will be more encouraged
to spend on a team thats proven it's legit and worth it. They're kind of in a tough spot because if they
don't try to spend on Price that backlash to thier brand could be damaging.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#25 » by Wo1verine » Sat Oct 3, 2015 1:21 pm

Ownership defiantly wont re-sign Price - Instead they'll have guys like Davidi and their other employees write BS on how the Jays 'offered identical AAV for 5 or 6 years' making it sound like Rogers actually 'tried'
BrunoSkull

Return to Toronto Blue Jays