ImageImageImageImageImage

Jays negotiating multi-year deal with Estrada

Moderator: JaysRule15

C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,111

Re: Jays negotiating multi-year deal with Estrada 

Post#21 » by C Court » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:12 am

The Jays window with this roster is pretty much next year and then who knows?

The Jays need pitching to make another good run at it. Free agents will be expensive and LaCava suggested the trade market is lukewarm.

So I would be all over Estrada on a 2 year deal for $12M - $14M per season.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
rarefind
RealGM
And1: 10,055

Post#22 » by rarefind » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:15 am

Just got a notification pushed to my phone by the Score app saying Jays and Estrada nearing 2 year deal worth between 24 and 29m.

Estrada wins if that number is closer to 29... Jays did okay if the number is 24m and no higher.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,569

Post#23 » by Mak » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:16 am

just a two year term, thats pretty good
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,232

Post#24 » by Mehar » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:26 am

I like a two year term for Estrada as well. If Estrada is signed, that still leaves two question marks in the rotation, with Dickey and Stroman the other two sure starters. Still would like Osuna and Sanchez in the pen. Hutchinson should not be guaranteed a spot in the rotation. I am still surprised people are automatically penciling him in the rotation. Guy has no business being guaranteed a spot right now. Maybe a guaranteed starter in Buffalo, and that is it.
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#25 » by Santoki » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:34 am

Mehar wrote:I like a two year term for Estrada as well. If Estrada is signed, that still leaves two question marks in the rotation, with Dickey and Stroman the other two sure starters. Still would like Osuna and Sanchez in the pen. Hutchinson should not be guaranteed a spot in the rotation. I am still surprised people are automatically penciling him in the rotation. Guy has no business being guaranteed a spot right now. Maybe a guaranteed starter in Buffalo, and that is it.

I don't think anyone is penciling him into the rotation. You might hear his name in Sportsnet articles but no fan is eager to see Hutch trotted back out there again without competition.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#26 » by Yosemite Dan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:42 am

Well at least this shows that the Jays will try and win for 2016 and Shapiro isn't trying to immediately blow everything up to put his stamp on the team and live up to his reputation as the prospect president. I don't think Edwin will be a Blue Jay much past the winter meetings.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,232

Post#27 » by Mehar » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 am

Santoki wrote:
Mehar wrote:I like a two year term for Estrada as well. If Estrada is signed, that still leaves two question marks in the rotation, with Dickey and Stroman the other two sure starters. Still would like Osuna and Sanchez in the pen. Hutchinson should not be guaranteed a spot in the rotation. I am still surprised people are automatically penciling him in the rotation. Guy has no business being guaranteed a spot right now. Maybe a guaranteed starter in Buffalo, and that is it.

I don't think anyone is penciling him into the rotation. You might hear his name in Sportsnet articles but no fan is eager to see Hutch trotted back out there again without competition.

I heard Wilner on the radio, and a couple of other guys who cover the team mention his name as a possible "bounce back" candidate and i almost threw up. I was hoping this team would do what it is necessary to keep Price, but with the budget pretty much the same last year, that is a pipe dream.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,569

Post#28 » by Mak » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:50 am

I don't think there is any downside to giving Hutchinson a chance during spring training but if he shows no improvement from last year then we can't possibly put him out there in the regular season.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#29 » by Yosemite Dan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:53 am

With Hutch it seems to be all mental. He ends up overthrowing to try and get out of trouble. So there is a decent chance he could still become a competant starter if he could just get his head straight.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#30 » by Schad » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:03 am

Better than a longer deal, but given the choice between Estrada an AAV in that range, or Latos and the comp pick, I'd probably have taken the latter without much thought.
**** your asterisk.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Re: RE: Re: Jays negotiating multi-year deal with Estrada 

Post#31 » by North_of_Border » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:03 am

Schad wrote:Better than a longer deal, but given the choice between Estrada an AAV in that range, or Latos and the comp pick, I'd probably have taken the latter without much thought.

I know what you mean. Latos is a good pitcher who had a horrible season. Kinda like Estrada before this season. Though its a risk. It paid off with Estrada it might not with Latos. He is more of a take a risk move, not something u put all ur hopes on.

Though Latos was an Ace not long ago. I would be interested if the price is right. Which it likely will if they are patient enough.
suntzuballin
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#32 » by suntzuballin » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:05 am

At least its just 2 years
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#33 » by SharoneWright » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:36 am

Schad wrote:Better than a longer deal, but given the choice between Estrada an AAV in that range, or Latos and the comp pick, I'd probably have taken the latter without much thought.

Agreed. 2 years seems like a nice safe sweet spot, but with Bautista and Encarnacion expiring, that 2nd year could be an unnecessary big salary on a team commencing a rebuild. I suppose as long as there's not a no-trade clause, we could ideally move him for younger assets after year 1.....

Meanwhile, we can look forward to clicking over to watch Synder, Hoffman, Norris, Alvarez, Labourt, Nicolino, Castro, etc.. all making peanuts, or being locked up on value-extensions.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,409

Post#34 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:08 pm

The term is fine, but even the speculated minimum ($24M) is too much for Estrada. Ugghh. I guess they're giving him more to limit the term to just two years.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#35 » by dagger » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:15 pm

I would be okay with a two year deal for $24M plus incentives. If he pitches well but the team bombs, he'd be an excellent trade chip at the deadline this year. If he pitches well and the team wins, well shut my mouth, y'all. And if he regresses, well, it depends by how much. He isn't likely to be Hutchinson bad, so he falls to fifth starter and still offers a good bridge to Connor Greene and Sean Reid Foley, even Jon Harris. Unless Shapiro and LeCava decide to jump into a rebuild and move some bats for futures, retaining Estrada short term makes some sense.

At least he's not a power pitcher, and less likely to suffer a loss of velocity which would be a career killer. His off-speed stuff ought to last him for two more years.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#36 » by polo007 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:34 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/665155446148173825[/tweet]
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,924

Post#37 » by JN » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:02 pm

Of course there is no guarantee that Latos chooses Toronto over other suitors.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#38 » by Skin Blues » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:16 pm

And there's no guarantee that he goes that cheap, or that he's healthy. Consider that he has had injury issues the past two seasons which coincided in a significant velocity loss. He was also straight-up cut from a first place team a week before the playoffs started in order to make room on the roster for Carlos Frias. And of course, since we still need at least a couple more starters there's nothing stopping us from signing him even if we get Estrada.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#39 » by The_Hater » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:22 pm

I'd still like to see them take a run at Latos.

And there's still the chance that Estrada nets that comp pick or trade assets down the road.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#40 » by Skin Blues » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:23 pm

2 years, $26M. Don't know if he's just picking a point between 24 and 29... but I like this. Basically tacks a 1/10M deal onto the QO. Low risk, high reward.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/665183753304698880[/tweet]

Return to Toronto Blue Jays