ImageImageImageImageImage

Ken Rosenthal: Blue Jays trade Liam Hendriks to Athletics for Jesse Chavez

Moderator: JaysRule15

bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Re: Ken Rosenthal: Blue Jays trade Liam Hendriks to Athletics for Jesse Chavez 

Post#101 » by bluerap23 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:52 am

JoeyBats wrote:Do you guys think Chavez will be good enough next season to earn a qualifying offer?

Highly doubt Chavez will be offered one. Would you want to pay 16.7 million for Chavez?
JoeyBats
Bench Warmer
And1: 407

Post#102 » by JoeyBats » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:18 am

bluerap23 wrote:
JoeyBats wrote:Do you guys think Chavez will be good enough next season to earn a qualifying offer?

Highly doubt Chavez will be offered one. Would you want to pay 16.7 million for Chavez?

Before the season started no one would have thought that Estrada would pitch well enough to earn a qualifying offer.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#103 » by The_Hater » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:31 am

JoeyBats wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:

Before the season started no one would have thought that Estrada would pitch well enough to earn a qualifying offer.

So to answer your original question, no he won't. Just because a long shot like Estrada happens every so often doesn't make it a good bet.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
LBJSeizedMyID
Sixth Man
And1: 96

Post#104 » by LBJSeizedMyID » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:05 pm

I've warmed up to this trade more since I first heard it. Bullpen arms a a dime a dozen in my mind. Chavez seems to have two pretty good pitches, so taking a chance on him at the cost of Hendriks isn't the worst thing in the world.
protothe
Bench Warmer
And1: 925

Post#105 » by protothe » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:37 pm

bluerap23 wrote:http://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/2015/11/21/jays-boss-shapiro-had-plenty-of-hits-with-indians-trades-griffin.html

Good article by Griff.
He is not a fan of the trade but does recount some of Shapiro's trades that have had excellent results.

And throws in the fact that there's a lot of trades that were terrible as a footnote....
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#106 » by polo007 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:31 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SNJeffBlair/status/668800309217636352[/tweet]
The number to remember this off-season is 269 2/3.

Those are the innings the Toronto Blue Jays received during the regular season from starting pitchers Mark Buehrle and David Price. Neither are expected back next season – and that’s why the acquisition of Jesse Chavez from the Oakland Athletics for Liam Hendriks makes so much sense.

It’s understandable that after 22 years in the playoff wilderness, fans feel an attachment to every single person on the 25-man roster – thank goodness John McDonald didn’t play on the team last season; he’d have roads and schools named after him – but the simple truth is the Blue Jays believe Chavez is a better bet to help fill the starting innings gap than Hendriks. It’s true that a healthy Marcus Stroman addresses much of the innings issue – but what if the Blue Jays decide to trade, say, Drew Hutchison or R.A. Dickey? As poor as Hutchison was last season, that’s 150 innings. Dickey fell on his face in the playoffs, and manager John Gibbons would be popping champagne corks if he was ever dispatched … but he still logged 214 1/3 innings. And what if Aaron Sanchez stays in the bullpen?

Chavez alone doesn’t make the Blue Jays rotation better. The team will need to add, I believe, two more arms better equipped for the front of the rotation. But Chavez’s acquisition might allow general manager Tony LaCava to put some innings in play on the trade market, if he’s so inclined. And while it is an understandable inclination to doubt under-the-radar guys (even those with a 2.3 WAR, the same as Dickey’s in 2015) and look for flaws, keep this in mind: Chavez has been a decent early-season starter since he remade himself two years ago, and if that holds true he’s in the least an insurance policy against any April or May bumps in the road suffered by, say, Sanchez should he wobble a bit in any transition back to a starter.
Raps_Swingman
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#107 » by Raps_Swingman » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:34 pm

Hate to see Hendriks go as I thought he was starting to cement himself as a damn good reliever but.....Chavez is a solid rotation arm who comes cheap and can eat innings.

Steamer's early projection has him at a 3.90 ERA and 4.09 FIP. I'm more then OK with that in our rotation. Granted, adding a bigger name arm would be beneficial.
That's what she said.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,407

Post#108 » by Lateral Quicks » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:48 pm

That's an interesting comment in Blair's piece about how Gibby would pop champagne corks if the Jays got rid of Dickey. Is that for performance or personality reasons, I wonder.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#109 » by Santoki » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:43 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:That's an interesting comment in Blair's piece about how Gibby would pop champagne corks if the Jays got rid of Dickey. Is that for performance or personality reasons, I wonder.

Probably more to do with the headache surrounding a personal catcher for Dickey.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#110 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:01 pm

Not sure how Chavez will fare pitching in the AL East. He might end up being moved to the 'pen at some point if he's not pitching well as a starter. The thing with Chavez is, he starts out well, only to regress in his play in the 2nd half of the season.

He had that nasty cutter working for him though when he faced the Jays in the 2nd half of the season. I believe he got 9 Ks in 6 IP off that pitch vs. the Jays, if I'm not mistaken.

But hey, Jays need guys who can start at this point, so from that standpoint, the deal makes sense.
RalphWiggum
RealGM
And1: 8,224

Post#111 » by RalphWiggum » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:35 am

Don't like this trade. Liam was a good to great reliever that could come in for 3-4 innings when needed and was cheap freeing up money for other needs. I don't hate Chavez I just think at best this is a neutral trade. I know people will bring up an Estrada type steal but those are few and far between. Hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#112 » by North_of_Border » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:58 pm

Last time a similar trade like this happened between Jays-A's was when Toronto traded former 1st rounder Deck McGuire for swingman Brad Mills. Like Chavez he was a former Jay, played a similar role in Oakland and was near dominant at times in spurts.

What ever happened to Brad Mills?

..... Or Deck McGruire?
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#113 » by Schad » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:34 am

North_of_Border wrote:Last time a similar trade like this happened between Jays-A's was when Toronto traded former 1st rounder Deck McGuire for swingman Brad Mills. Like Chavez he was a former Jay, played a similar role in Oakland and was near dominant at times in spurts.

What ever happened to Brad Mills?

..... Or Deck McGruire?

Mills was picked up off waivers; selling Deck to the A's for cash (where cash probably equaled about $1) was a separate transaction, after we had DFA'd him to free up a roster spot.

Upper Deck then imploded with the A's AAA AAAAffiliate (sorry, had a thing going there), after which he was outrighted off the roster. Pitched last year with the Dodgers minor league system, where he was surprisingly not awful, but not enough for them to bring him back, it seems. Today, it was announced that he has signed a minor league deal with the Cards, where he will inevitably be fixed and win the 2017 NL Cy Young award.
**** your asterisk.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays