ImageImageImageImageImage

Jays favourites to re-sign Price????

Moderator: JaysRule15

Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Re: Jays favourites to re-sign Price???? 

Post#61 » by Wo1verine » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:33 am

**** pathetic ^
BrunoSkull
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,782
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#62 » by Boogie! » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:18 am

so price likes toronto, but toronto doesnt really want to re-sign him? yay.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#63 » by Parataxis » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:09 am

Yosemite Dan wrote:Signing Price to any long term deal between 25 and 30 million is incredibly stupid. Let him go. He's not worth it. Everybody's current favorite annoying term is "regression candidate", if there is a player who is the poster boy for a regression candidate, it's Price. The guy is a power pitcher entering his 30's with alot of mileage. We're gonna end up with another Verlander.

I don't think you actually quite understand what 'regression to the mean' means.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#64 » by Parataxis » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:12 am

[quote="Aimless Outlook"]Under the assumption that we have one more year of contending with Bautista and Encarnacion, and signing Price is going to take 6 or 7 years at 27+ million (Possibly slightly backloaded). Let's also assume that Price has another stellar year next year. How hard would it be to trade him the following year for prospects or a young arm, and the other teams takes on his whole salary? /quote]

Probably impossible. I can't imagine he's not going to insist on a no-trade clause.
TheDoctor
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 13,086
Location: Saving humanity, and the Raptors board, from aliens... and themselves.

Post#65 » by TheDoctor » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:05 pm

How has Price pitched in Fenway? Just seems like a bad fit for him. I think he'd prefer any of those NL teams and still great money.
Raptors Season Ticketholder since the 2000 playoffs, through all the lows... build to the championship high... to Tampa and back again.
RIP The Hater - we miss you.
MCFC
Sophomore
And1: 166

Post#66 » by MCFC » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:11 pm

Please anyone but Boston.

What an insult to the fans if Shapiro allows him to go to Boston, why can't we pay what they're paying I don't get it. You allow your ace to go to a division rival? Good lord never change Toronto.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#67 » by Skin Blues » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:43 pm

MCFC wrote:What an insult to the fans if Shapiro allows him to go to Boston

It'd be more insulting to make poor business decisions for such petty reasons.
TBRunGood
Sophomore
And1: 127

Post#68 » by TBRunGood » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:54 pm

Skin Blues wrote:

Well considering Boston is a major competitor of ours, i would say it's not so petty to want Price to be signed just for the sake of him not going to Boston.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Post#69 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:01 pm

It's a rare opportunity to get a big FA for the market value, rather than having to pay a Toronto/Canada premium. Also, Shapiro seems to really value the farm system, so giving up a first round draft pick to sign a lesser pitcher doesn't make sense. If the SP market is too crazy, I'd "almost" rather the Jays try Sanchez and Asuna (and a resigned Buerhle to eat some innings) and spend money on decent relievers.

But my first choice is to sign Price. He's a special character and proven pitcher. I don't worry about his playoff performances, any more than I worry about his (previously lousy) performances in Yankee Stadium. SSS issue.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#70 » by bluerap23 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:14 pm

Beatbox wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:Highly unlikely that Rogers wants to compete for him which is just sad. I just hope he goes to the NL.

I think you can look at it as another rental. Sign him and then trade him next off-season when his value is just as high and his contract is a year shorter. That way you get to cash in on him 3 times! Letting him walk is just wasting of an asset.

Except the only reason you'd even consider trading him after a year is if he completely falls off, at which point no team would offer anything of value for him.

Disagree. This team will be in line for a retool in 1-2 years.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#71 » by bluerap23 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:15 pm

When was the last time that the top free agent on the market wanted to play in Toronto (in any sport)?

Don't we have to capitalize on that? Think of the cred in future off seasons.
MCFC
Sophomore
And1: 166

Post#72 » by MCFC » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:22 pm

Skin Blues wrote:

Bad business is not striking when the iron is hot and taking advantage of opportunities.

You want good business? Although nothing is a sure bet in baseball, Price coming back makes you instant World Series contenders. Season ticket sales will increase, TV ratings will remain high, merchandise sales will increase, National games on U.S television will increase exposure, PLAYOFF revenue from deep runs, it just makes too much sense.

You have the whole Country and baseball fans salivating for more and the interest in this team has not been this high in 22 years. I dont think now is when you should be cheap and not pay Price. And allowing him to sign with your division rival who you will play 20 times this year, making them stronger while weakening your own team? Rogers better not screw this up; I hope to god there is someone in that front office that sees the big picture.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#73 » by polo007 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:41 pm

Jon Morosi pours cold water on the idea that Toronto is "far and away" David Price's first choice, and says although the pitcher enjoyed his time in Toronto, the chances of him returning is "remote."

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-3/Jon-Morosi-with-Jeff-Blair-and-Stephen-Brunt-jb-20151126-Interview.mp3
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#74 » by The_Hater » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:56 pm

TBRunGood wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:

Well considering Boston is a major competitor of ours, i would say it's not so petty to want Price to be signed just for the sake of him not going to Boston.

How do we know that Boston using a lot of their money on price instead of spending that money over 2-3 very good players isn't the business decision that helps the Jays instead of the Sox? Did their key signings of Ramirez and Sandoval tip the scales last season?

The Red Sox are going to spend what they've allocated, assuming that the best business decision for them is to spend most of it on Price doesn't make that that true either short term or long term. Fenway could end up being a terrible fit for him. Boston could end up with one of the worst contracts in MLB. Lots of things could happen but I do know that 1 player doesn't make or break an MLB team no matter who that player is. Ths isn't the NBA.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#75 » by Schad » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:41 am

And if the Sox fans on Sons of Sam Horn are correct, Price's asking price would basically cover their remaining spending money for this offseason. The Sox don't have just the one hole to fill.
**** your asterisk.
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,710

Post#76 » by Kurtz » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:11 am

If I'm Price, I'm a tad nervous.

The Cubs have their 2 aces and don't have an unlimited budget until 2019. The Dodgers are more likely to just bring back Greinke. I have a feeling that Sox would rather commit 20 mil/year to Cueto than 30 mil/year to Price, and also use some of their prospect capital to trade for a Teheran. San Fran and St Louis don't have a history of signing guys to 200 mil deals. The Jays certainly don't.

Perhaps the Yankees will jump in last minute. They've been quiet for a while.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#77 » by The_Hater » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:33 am

Kurtz wrote:If I'm Price, I'm a tad nervous.

The Cubs have their 2 aces and don't have an unlimited budget until 2019. The Dodgers are more likely to just bring back Greinke. I have a feeling that Sox would rather commit 20 mil/year to Cueto than 30 mil/year to Price, and also use some of their prospect capital to trade for a Teheran. San Fran and St Louis don't have a history of signing guys to 200 mil deals. The Jays certainly don't.

The only thing Price needs to be nervous about is how he's going to count his money. There's enough buyers in the market and he's going to get paid. The elite FA's never struggle in this regard.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Indiana Jones
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,548
Location: Assistant Dean of Students, Marshall College, Bedford, Connecticut

Post#78 » by Indiana Jones » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:13 pm

We have the money. Just pay him.
azorian
Veteran
And1: 1,660

Post#79 » by azorian » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:01 pm

Pay him and trade him for assets in two years. Getter done

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
James_Raptors
RealGM
And1: 10,799

Post#80 » by James_Raptors » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:34 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Kurtz wrote:If I'm Price, I'm a tad nervous.

The only thing Price needs to be nervous about is how he's going to count his money. There's enough buyers in the market and he's going to get paid. The elite FA's never struggle in this regard.

This.

If Price has reason to be nervous about the upcoming hundreds of millions of dollars about to line his account pocket, please God, please allow me to be "nervous" everyday for the rest of my life.
08-14-'21:
(re: Scottie Barnes)
-Top 3 Raptors of all-time, 5+ ASG, Min 1 All-NBA 1st /2nd,Min 3 All-Def 1st or 2nd team,between years 2-3 in the running for best current player on our roster,best Raptor on the team, multiple years in a row

RIP Hater

Return to Toronto Blue Jays