ImageImageImageImageImage

Jays favourites to re-sign Price????

Moderator: JaysRule15

Chevy Chase
Sixth Man
And1: 820

Re: Jays favourites to re-sign Price???? 

Post#81 » by Chevy Chase » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:17 pm

Indiana Jones wrote:We have the money. Just pay him.

Pay him $30 mil over 4 years with a player option to opt out after two like we did with Clemens. If he puts up two ace type years, he can opt out and sign a 5 year $30 mil with us or someone else.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#82 » by Skin Blues » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:54 pm

Why would he leave $70M+ on the table like that? He will sign for 7 years minimum, not 4. I'd bet on 7/190.
CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

Post#83 » by CrookedJ » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:25 pm

This is his only chance for a long term deal while a top 5 pitcher. Even if he gets 30 for 4 years, he is worth much less for years 5 -7 on a new deal then, presumably. You can bet on yourself to some extent, but no one is gonna be crazy enough to bet that they will still be a top 5 pitcher at age 35. Very good, still well above average...sure that's likely ...but not top of the league.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#84 » by polo007 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:35 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/theScore/status/670241932883292160[/tweet]
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#85 » by The_Hater » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:40 pm

So I looked up Price's career stats in Fenway expecting to find that he wasn't great there, instead I see a sub .200 BA, a sub 2.00 ERA and a sub 1.00 WHIP.

Sorry but I couldn't find advance stats just these.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
MCFC
Sophomore
And1: 166

Post#86 » by MCFC » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:25 pm

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,049

Post#87 » by Schad » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:51 pm

polo007 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/theScore/status/670241932883292160[/tweet]

New strategy: offer Price $210m over 7, force the Sox into an AAV exceeding $34m. Win/win.
**** your asterisk.
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#88 » by Latrell » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:20 pm

Schad wrote:
polo007 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/theScore/status/670241932883292160[/tweet]

New strategy: offer Price $210m over 7, force the Sox into an AAV exceeding $34m. Win/win.

Unknown NL GM = Price's agent.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#89 » by North_of_Border » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:10 am

If Price wants the money, he'll be a Red Sox.... If he wants relation he is familier and comfortable, he'll be a Cub... If he wants both, he'll be a Dodger.

If the Dodgers lose Greinke, they will sign Price. Otherwise he is a Cubs and Red Sox will pay big dollars for him.

Either way, Toronto thing never had a realistic shot.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#90 » by polo007 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:54 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PeteAbe/status/670371063495335936[/tweet]
As the Red Sox search for an actual ace instead of yet another No. 4 starter, Price is the guy they want. President of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski traded for Price in 2014 when he was GM in Detroit and he wants him again.

Dombrowski was hired to get players like Price. After two last-place finishes, the Sox have little choice but to make a move like this. Tickets go on sale Dec. 12 and ownership will be motivated to sign Price by then.

It also makes sense from a baseball standpoint. Price has spent most of his career pitching in the American League East and won’t be intimidated by his surroundings. At 30, he’s in his prime and he has a track record of durability and success.

In Tampa Bay, Detroit, and Toronto, Price drew heaps of praise for being a good teammate and leader. He’s everything the Red Sox rotation lacked last season.

Yes, Price is 2-7 with a 5.12 ERA in the postseason. But it’s 63 1/3 innings, not enough to cancel out the rest of what he brings. The Red Sox have reached the playoffs once in the last six years, they need to worry about getting there first.

Whatever reservations Price may have will be buried under piles of cash. John Lackey, who hated Boston and Fenway Park as a member of the Los Angeles Angels, signed with the Red Sox before the 2010 season because they guaranteed him $82.5 million.

It will work that way for Price, too. It’s not that he won’t have other choices, but the Red Sox appear willing to go to $200 million. Dombrowski has been saying for weeks now that the organization understands the price of high-end pitching.

The Cubs appear focused on bringing back Jeff Samardzija. A reunion with the Dodgers makes sense for Zack Greinke. A second-tier starter like Jordan Zimmerman isn’t enough. Johnny Cueto is too risky.

Trade for an ace? The Sox cannot get an established No. 1 starter without giving up Xander Bogaerts or Mookie Betts. That’s not going to happen.

Price is who the Red Sox need. You watch, he’ll be hugging Ortiz like they’re family.
Aintnohater
Banned User
And1: 1,066

Post#91 » by Aintnohater » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:33 pm

Who knows maybe Price doesnt care about money? Im pretty sure hes gonna have more than enough even so if he takes a huge paycut, since he is already sponsoring Jordan brand, and probably more, so I am sure he has more than enough. Maybe he likes the bluejays so much that he will come back even for a low price haha..we can dream right
Alasen
Banned User
And1: 4,080

Post#92 » by Alasen » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:35 pm

Price signing with the Red Sox would be a disaster for us. We play them 20 times this tear. Have to count on facing Price at least 4-5 times. Thats 4 almost guaranteed losses for us vs 4 guaranteed wins for the Red Sox for a net loss of 8 games for the jays. In a close playoff race that could mean the difference between us making the playoffs or missing them completely. I honeslty don't care if the Jays sign Price or not, im indifferent about him. But i would be upset if he went to the Red Sox. Let's just pray one of the NL teams snag him up.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by Schad » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:41 pm

Alasen wrote:Price signing with the Red Sox would be a disaster for us. We play them 20 times this tear. Have to count on facing Price at least 4-5 times. Thats 4 almost guaranteed losses for us vs 4 guaranteed wins for the Red Sox for a net loss of 8 games for the jays. In a close playoff race that could mean the difference between us making the playoffs or missing them completely. I honeslty don't care if the Jays sign Price or not, im indifferent about him. But i would be upset if he went to the Red Sox. Let's just pray one of the NL teams snag him up.

It's much less than that. Price's team won exactly 75% of his starts (an unusually high number, actually...higher than either Greinke or Kershaw for what it's worth); the head-to-head difference in four games would thus be closer to two wins, all things equal. Still significant, but people vastly overestimate just how impactful even elite starters are in their own starts...they are never, ever 'almost guaranteed' wins.
**** your asterisk.
The_Hater

Post#94 » by The_Hater » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:24 pm

Alasen wrote:Price signing with the Red Sox would be a disaster for us. We play them 20 times this tear. Have to count on facing Price at least 4-5 times. Thats 4 almost guaranteed losses for us vs 4 guaranteed wins for the Red Sox for a net loss of 8 games for the jays. In a close playoff race that could mean the difference between us making the playoffs or missing them completely. I honeslty don't care if the Jays sign Price or not, im indifferent about him. But i would be upset if he went to the Red Sox. Let's just pray one of the NL teams snag him up.

The Red Sox blowing their entire budget on one player and with a long term contract might be the best possible thing that could happen to the Jays. I'm far more worried about a BoSox team that would wisely fill a few holes with a few good players because they need more than 1 player to fix that pitching staff.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#95 » by Schad » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:08 pm

The_Hater wrote:The Red Sox blowing their entire budget on one player and with a long term contract might be the best possible thing that could happen to the Jays. I'm far more worried about a BoSox team that would wisely fill a few holes with a few good players because they need more than 1 player to fix that pitching staff.

Indeed. Thus far, I'm quite happy with what Dombrowski appears to be doing, from the perspective of the Jays. If he wants to blow the entirety of their budget on Price, and then continue throwing prospects at players to fill their other holes (as he did with Kimbrel) it defuses a very potent threat to us long-term.

It's a remarkable achievement that they're heading for a serious financial crunch despite having so many key contributors making $500k a year...next year they could have more than $150m going to Price, Hanley, Porcello, Sandoval, Pedroia, Castillo, Kimbrel, Miley and Craig. That's not ideal! Most of them aren't really that good!
**** your asterisk.
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,639

Post#96 » by Kurtz » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:49 am

Schad wrote:
The_Hater wrote:The Red Sox blowing their entire budget on one player and with a long term contract might be the best possible thing that could happen to the Jays. I'm far more worried about a BoSox team that would wisely fill a few holes with a few good players because they need more than 1 player to fix that pitching staff.

Indeed. Thus far, I'm quite happy with what Dombrowski appears to be doing, from the perspective of the Jays. If he wants to blow the entirety of their budget on Price, and then continue throwing prospects at players to fill their other holes (as he did with Kimbrel) it defuses a very potent threat to us long-term.

It's a remarkable achievement that they're heading for a serious financial crunch despite having so many key contributors making $500k a year...next year they could have more than $150m going to Price, Hanley, Porcello, Sandoval, Pedroia, Castillo, Kimbrel, Miley and Craig. That's not ideal! Most of them aren't really that good!

They royally messed up with the Panda and Hanley deals last year, which I think just about everyone pointed out the moment they formed.

But the idea of being happy that we somehow outsmarted the Sox by spending 24 mil/year on Happ and Estrada vs spending 40 mil/year on Price and Kimbrel is ...well I don't know what to call it other than absurd.
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#97 » by Santoki » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:02 am

Kurtz wrote:
Schad wrote:

They royally messed up with the Panda and Hanley deals last year, which I think just about everyone pointed out the moment they formed.

But the idea of being happy that we somehow outsmarted the Sox by spending 24 mil/year on Happ and Estrada vs spending 40 mil/year on Price and Kimbrel is ...well I don't know what to call it other than absurd.

But you're acting like it's only for one year. 7 year deals at $30+ million are entirely different creatures than what we gave Estrada and Happ.
The_Hater

Post#98 » by The_Hater » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:16 am

Santoki wrote:
Kurtz wrote:
Schad wrote:

But you're acting like it's only for one year. 7 year deals at $30+ million are entirely different creatures than what we gave Estrada and Happ.

It's difficult for many fans to see in the present because we're talking about a superstar but whatever contract Price gets is almost guaranteed to end up being one of the worst contracts in baseball in a short period of time.

Of course I also get the argument that the Jays have a very short window here and they should be spending money now and worry about cutting the payroll in a couple of years.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,639

Post#99 » by Kurtz » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:33 am

The_Hater wrote:
It's difficult for many fans to see in the present because we're talking about a superstar but whatever contract Price gets is almost guaranteed to end up being one of the worst contracts in baseball in a short period of time.

I guess it depends on your definition of short. If Price pitches like he has over the next 4 years and then regresses over the last 2-3, the surplus value he'd have generated over those 4 years will still significantly exceed the negative value he'll provide over the last 2.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by Schad » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:40 am

Kurtz wrote:They royally messed up with the Panda and Hanley deals last year, which I think just about everyone pointed out the moment they formed.

I'm not happy that we're spending money on Happ and Estrada. But I'm still happy that they appear willing to take a very enviable situation -- a massive budget and an incredibly deep group of prospects -- and turn it into a payroll bomb, because there was a very real possibility entering last year that they'd have a stranglehold on the AL East for quite some time.
**** your asterisk.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays