Moderator: JaysRule15

EastBayBoy
Senior
And1: 618

Re: Jays sign Happ 3 for 36 

Post#261 » by EastBayBoy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:13 pm

changes wrote:
EastBayBoy wrote:
Don't know if calling me Shapiro is supposed to be an insult or not, but same guy led the Indians with close to the lowest payroll in baseball to multiple playoff appearances.

1 appearance in 2007, followed by a 1 game wildcard in 2013, with years of mediocrity in between. Definitely not an insult.

Lets give your golden boy AA 130 mil payroll over multiple years lets see how long it takes him to make the playoffs? Oh wait, he had that plus had to trade away stud prospects for 1 playoff appearance and 2 good months of baseball.
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#262 » by Santoki » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:14 pm

cram wrote:
Centre Court wrote:
cram wrote:
What "tough situation" are you referring to?

Instead of having access to young homegrown arms like Syndegaard, Hoffman, Norris, etc, the Jays now are forced to overpay for older arms. They can really overpay for an elite arm to the tune of $200 million, but those deals often turn sour quickly.

What about 110M for Zimmerman?

Or trading Tulo/Encarnacion for a top tier pitcher?

Please tell me what team is trading a top pitcher for those two players. I'm actually interested in names and contracts. This should be good. In fact email Lecava. I bet he hasn't even considered this option yet.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,111

Post#263 » by C Court » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:15 pm

cram wrote:
Centre Court wrote:
cram wrote:
What "tough situation" are you referring to?

Instead of having access to young homegrown arms like Syndegaard, Hoffman, Norris, etc, the Jays now are forced to overpay for older arms. They can really overpay for an elite arm to the tune of $200 million, but those deals often turn sour quickly.

Trade is the best option and it still could happen.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
EastBayBoy
Senior

Post#264 » by EastBayBoy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:18 pm

changes wrote:
EastBayBoy wrote:
changes wrote:
Totally agree. All signings would be bad. Happ is good. Strong deductive reasoning would suggest that anyone that disagrees is a bandwagonner.

people who disagree make for great baseball banter, I'm all for that.

In your case my 'strong deductive reasoning' deduced that you have little knowledge on how successful baseball teams are run by reading multiple posts you've made on this board, not just this one.

Too bad you're not getting into the banter, I can tell by your strawman skills I'm missing out.

Quite hilarious actually, the guy who hasn't made one valid argument, but has rather tried to come at me with sarcastic responses.

Nice try though. :lol:
EastBayBoy
Senior

Post#265 » by EastBayBoy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:26 pm

cram wrote:
EastBayBoy wrote:
changes wrote:
Yep, awful logic. Pretty amusing. Well they weren't going to spend 220 on Price............. therefore Happ is a good signing. :lol:

Not sure you are aware of the $$ market for middling starting pitching. To go out and sign mediocre rotation SPs is a lot more of a risk than signing Happ or Chavez. See the contracts of guys like Rickey Nolasco, Jimenez and Garza to name a few., these contracts turn bad fast. The money average rotation guys receive is insane and money would be better spent more effectively to fix other needs. Rumours are Chen wants 20 mil a year, don't know if he's going to get it but thats how crazy the market is.

In regards to trading for starting pitching, the Jays don't have the farm system to trade for top calibre rotation guys. Second, trading away cost efficient prospects is what put the Jays in this predicament in the first place. By trading more prospects for short term fixes in the rotation isn't smart baseball management. it would just be compounding the situation we are already in.

Who said you have to trade prospects? Why not players from our roster?

Guy like Saunders and Ben R wouldn't attract much in trade, Pompey is a cost efficient player who is under control for multiple years owuldn't be that smart to trade him, Pillar might be attractive to some but him alone won't gain much and he is also a cost efficient cause he's making league minimum. There's the rout of trading EE or Bautista that some have suggested but they wouldn't get a top end starter cause of age and only having one year left on their contracts. Hypothetically, if some one were to bite on either one of them you'd have to find another way to fill in what they just lost in the line up.

Who would you trade to get a top end starter ?
changes
Head Coach
And1: 9,124

Post#266 » by changes » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:28 pm

EastBayBoy wrote:
changes wrote:
EastBayBoy wrote:

In your case my 'strong deductive reasoning' deduced that you have little knowledge on how successful baseball teams are run by reading multiple posts you've made on this board, not just this one.

Too bad you're not getting into the banter, I can tell by your strawman skills I'm missing out.

Quite hilarious actually, the guy who hasn't made one valid argument, but has rather tried to come at me with sarcastic responses.

Aw ok, maybe next time. Till then we can gain knowledge by reading valid arguments such as:

Lets give your golden boy AA

Not sure you are aware

Your point is just evident to how little you know

said bandwagoners know so much about risk management

In your case my 'strong deductive reasoning' deduced that you have little knowledge
EastBayBoy
Senior

Post#267 » by EastBayBoy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:32 pm

EastBayBoy wrote:
changes wrote:
EastBayBoy wrote:

Quite hilarious actually, the guy who hasn't made one valid argument, but has rather tried to come at me with sarcastic responses says strawman

EastBayBoy
Senior

Post#268 » by EastBayBoy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:37 pm

changes wrote:
EastBayBoy wrote:
changes wrote:

Aw ok, maybe next time. Till then we can gain knowledge by reading valid arguments such as:

Lets give your golden boy AA

Not sure you are aware

Your point is just evident to how little you know

said bandwagoners know so much about risk management

In your case my 'strong deductive reasoning' deduced that you have little knowledge

haha, leaving those parts while deleting the rest of the post just shows how much of a joke you are :lol:
cram
Head Coach
And1: 1,699

Post#269 » by cram » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:32 pm

Santoki wrote:
cram wrote:
Centre Court wrote:

Please tell me what team is trading a top pitcher for those two players. I'm actually interested in names and contracts. This should be good. In fact email Lecava. I bet he hasn't even considered this option yet.

When you're on the doorstep of winning the world series, you really REALLY should push all your chips in the center of the table.........and sign JA Happ.
Santoki
General Manager

Jays sign Happ 3 for 36 

Post#270 » by Santoki » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:35 pm

cram wrote:
Santoki wrote:
cram wrote:

When you're on the doorstep of winning the world series, you really REALLY should push all your chips in the center of the table.........and sign JA Happ.

Way to sidestep a legitimate question because you don't have the ability to discuss actual baseball. You probably loved the Dickey deal because the Jays went "all in".

I'll give you another chance. Go on, lay out a trade for Tulo or Edwin for a top tier pitcher. Let's hear it.

And this is coming from someone that doesn't even like the Happ deal.
torontoaces04
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#271 » by torontoaces04 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:47 pm

Guys, boys, gentlemen....RELAX!!!!!!!!

Let's all take a collective breath, and chill out. The off-season is still young, and we still have a helluva team.
Sifu
Veteran
And1: 1,005

Post#272 » by Sifu » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:48 pm

Tigers sign Zimmerman for 5yrs and 110 million. 22 million a year, seems like a reasonable contract. Wish the Jays were in on that unless they are saving up for Price or Zack Attack
Santoki
General Manager

Post#273 » by Santoki » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:53 pm

torontoaces04 wrote:Guys, boys, gentlemen....RELAX!!!!!!!!

Let's all take a collective breath, and chill out. The off-season is still young, and we still have a helluva team.

According to the majority of the board the offseason is over and the season starts tomorrow. Baseball in December!
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#274 » by vaff87 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:00 pm

Santoki wrote:
torontoaces04 wrote:Guys, boys, gentlemen....RELAX!!!!!!!!

According to the majority of the board the offseason is over and the season starts tomorrow. Baseball in December!

Tulo has played his entire career in Colorado... I'm sure he'll be used to the snow on short.
cram
Head Coach

Post#275 » by cram » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:01 pm

Santoki wrote:
cram wrote:
Santoki wrote:

Way to sidestep a legitimate question because you don't have the ability to discuss actual baseball. You probably loved the Dickey deal because the Jays went "all in".

I'll give you another chance. Go on, lay out a trade for Tulo or Edwin for a top tier pitcher. Let's hear it.

I was just being as condescending to your comment as you were to mine.

As for actual trades? How about Tulo to the Mets? They have a big hole at shortstop (and need offense in general) and have a ton of good starting pitching (their #4 or 5 is likely better than our #2).
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,323

Post#276 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:06 pm

How is trading the team's only legitimate starter caliber SS for a pitcher going to make the team better? To fill one hole, you just create another.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
cram
Head Coach

Post#277 » by cram » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:20 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:How is trading the team's only legitimate starter caliber SS for a pitcher going to make the team better? To fill one hole, you just create another.

Throw Goins in there when Travis comes back (and fill the hole with a Cliff Pennington type in the meantime).
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,710

Post#278 » by Kurtz » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:21 pm

Santoki wrote:
cram wrote:
Centre Court wrote:

Hey man, the Mariners were able to acquire stud starter JA Happ for a broken down left fielder last off-season. Just think of the value we can get for Revere!
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,710

Post#279 » by Kurtz » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:22 pm

cram wrote:
Santoki wrote:
cram wrote:

I was just being as condescending to your comment as you were to mine.

As for actual trades? How about Tulo to the Mets? They have a big hole at shortstop (and need offense in general) and have a ton of good starting pitching (their #4 or 5 is likely better than our #2).

Not a bad idea, but Mets new management is pretty cheap. They wouldn't swallow Tulo's contract.
rarefind
RealGM
And1: 10,055

Post#280 » by rarefind » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:28 pm

If your car's brakes go shot and you sell your alternator to buy those brakes are you in better shape than you were prior?

Probably not.

Tulo is not getting traded.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays