ImageImageImageImageImage

The Shapiro & Rogers Megathread

Moderator: JaysRule15

polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Re: The Shapiro & Rogers Megathread 

Post#221 » by polo007 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:53 am

According to Cathal Kelly of the Globe and Mail, a crucial element to the Toronto Blue Jays’ three-year rise from the middle of the pack has been its ability to keep information close.

They’re losing that talent. We’re already seeing the messy results.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/kelly-leaked-trade-rumours-could-sink-blue-jays-trade-plans/article28861805/

On Monday night, the Jays agreed to trade outfielder Michael Saunders in a three-team exchange that would have netted them Cincinnati Reds outfielder Jay Bruce. We can’t “know” know that happened, but we know.

We know because most of the network-affiliated U.S. insiders whose primary job it is to ferret out and expose deals before they’re finished were all over it. These guys occasionally get one wrong, but not all at once. Later, Bruce would essentially confirm it.

We can argue about the wisdom of the trade. Actually, we might as well, since everyone and their cousin was on Twitter picking it apart before it was done. Bruce is Saunders, just healthier and a hell of a lot more expensive. You can make the case for it, but you have to do logical gymnastics to get there.

The deal collapsed when one of the involved players – reportedly an unidentified Blue Jays minor leaguer – failed a physical.

From a Toronto perspective, there is both harm and foul. You don’t get the guy you wanted. The guy you tried to get rid of now knows you don’t rate him. And everyone involved looks foolish. It’s a trifecta of incompetence.

What does matter is that this thing is already springing leaks like a Popsicle-stick canoe, and pulling the focus of spring down with it.

Where are Atkins & Co. on this? Oh, they’re over in the executive bunker, pretending that when you pinkie swear a baseball buddy to keep your secret, he always does – no take-backs.

“I can’t comment on negotiations,” Atkins said with regard to Bautista. “There’s really nothing we can say. There’s really nothing more to it than that.”

Roger that, chief. Someone asked again in a different way. Looking pained, Atkins took the fifth. And again. And again. And again. And again. Six times in all.

“To me, it doesn’t need to be public,” Atkins said. “And it won’t be … [significant pause] … from our end.”

So where’s the info coming from? It could be a Rogers exec trying to put pressure on Bautista, and going through their main rival to provide distance. It could be a semi-informed busybody passing on gossip masquerading as fact. It could be Bautista’s camp planting misinformation. It could be a Blue Jays staffer. There’s huge interest and a lot at stake – the perfect mix for all sorts of shenanigans.

If you’re not going to meet Bautista’s non-negotiable demand, the right play is to announce that now.
There is a risk that Bautista goes rogue and demands a trade, or enters an epochal sulk. But he needs a career performance this year to give himself a shot at a nine-figure deal. There is no surer place to do that than buried in the midst of Toronto’s best-in-the-game offence. That reality likely guarantees his co-operation, however grudging. It’s either that or sign him.

Give in or give up – those are the smart things to do. The dumb thing is what they’re doing – dithering while others hijack the conversation.

It’s now up to the Jays to prove they know what smart sounds like before someone else reports it for them.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,294

Post#222 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:00 am

Cathal Kelly needs to stop writing.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#223 » by Santoki » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:13 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:Cathal Kelly needs to stop writing.

That's a nicer way of putting it. My reaction was "**** Cathal Kelly."
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#224 » by Santoki » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:14 pm

Santoki wrote:

That's a nicer way of putting it. My reaction was "**** Cathal Kelly".
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,100

Post#225 » by C Court » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 pm

Simply this.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
polo007
General Manager

Post#226 » by polo007 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:15 pm

Toronto Blue Jays president Mark Shapiro joins Jeff Blair & Stephen Brunt to discuss the club’s future in Dunedin, the contract status with Jose Bautista & Edwin Encarnacion, setting the budget for the team, the trend toward opt-out clauses, what has surprised him about the club on the field, last year’s success fueling higher expectations, the state of the organisation, which player has jumped out, his rough landing in Toronto, the David Price trade, the perspective he gained from being the son of a player agent, the role he sees for Aaron Sanchez, the possibility of Gavin Floyd joining the rotation, the development system, and the possibility of trading Bautista and/or Encarnacion.

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-4/Mark-Shapiro-with-Jeff-Blair-and-Stephen-Brunt-jb-20160318-Interview.mp3
Chevy Chase
Sixth Man
And1: 820

Post#227 » by Chevy Chase » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:40 pm

Any chance it was leaked by one of the other teams? I thought you needed two sources to make allegations in print media. What a terrible article. And why would you force JB's hand. There is absolutely no need to deal with his FA status right now. If the team falters, then trade him and if not ride him to the end. Then you can decide on his future with the club based on what he delivered.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,100

Post#228 » by C Court » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:20 am

Don't look now, but the team that Shapiro and Atkins built are 14 games over .500 and in first place. The Indians $84 million payroll is 5th lowest in the majors.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/thescoremlb/status/747198719414546432[/tweet]
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#229 » by Schad » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:55 am

Centre Court wrote:Don't look now, but the team that Shapiro and Atkins built are 14 games over .500 and in first place. The Indians $84 million payroll is 5th lowest in the majors.

And all of their offseason moves have been net positives. Yes, that includes the acquisition of Storen, as Ben Revere has been one of the worst players in baseball.
**** your asterisk.
Raps_Swingman
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#230 » by Raps_Swingman » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:06 pm

Schad wrote:
Centre Court wrote:Don't look now, but the team that Shapiro and Atkins built are 14 games over .500 and in first place. The Indians $84 million payroll is 5th lowest in the majors.

And all of their offseason moves have been net positives. Yes, that includes the acquisition of Storen, as Ben Revere has been one of the worst players in baseball.

Storen was awful to start the year, but it looks like he's found his out pitch again and things are looking up. Plus Revere is garbo.

Also, Happ + Estrada > Price. Especially with Estrada pitching like an ace.

Rogers brought in Shapiro primarily to lock down the free wheeling that went on in the Beeston/AA era. They want their spending managed, and I think that was people's issue with the move right away.
That's what she said.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#231 » by The_Hater » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:24 pm

The only reason so many fans started dumping on Shapiro is they felt it was their duty to do so as a form of support for AA. The Jays are lucky to have him considering all the yo yo's we've employed since 1993
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Raps_Swingman
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#232 » by Raps_Swingman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:35 am

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-shapiro-improving-fan-experience-priority/

“(The Rogers Centre), while an engineering marvel, it’s clearly an outdated facility in many ways,” Shapiro said.

Interview with Wilner is available at the bottom. Interesting listen
That's what she said.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#233 » by Geddy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:07 pm

Schad wrote: Ben Revere has been one of the worst players in baseball.

Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#234 » by Geddy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:10 pm

Raps_Swingman wrote:http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-shapiro-improving-fan-experience-priority/

“(The Rogers Centre), while an engineering marvel, it’s clearly an outdated facility in many ways,” Shapiro said.

maybe they can replace those seats that leave your butt numb and your back aching.

I also would prefer to keep Saturday games at 1pm during the warm months when the roof is open.
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
polo007
General Manager

Post#235 » by polo007 » Mon Jul 4, 2016 7:08 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/749747248615960577[/tweet]
What’s it like working with a much larger payroll?

Shapiro: I think the payroll piece has not really factored in yet, but the support piece has been [eye-opening]. The point of differentiation for me that was most obvious was Game 2 [of the regular season]. Everybody here was telling me, ‘You need to see Opening Day here.’ I’m like, ‘Hey, I’ve been through that. Opening Day is a celebration in Cleveland.’ And then Game 2, because it’s 37 degrees out and there’s 10,000 people in the stands. Well, we were close to sold out Game 2 here, and Game 3. And then, the other one was the Raptors had a big playoff game and they were 200 yards away and there was not only 20,000 people in the arena there, there was 3,000 people outside the arena and we had 35,000 here. The depth of the market, I think, has been what has been more of a difference to me. As far as the money goes, we have our own set of differences here. We have the exchange rate that diminishes a lot of it. There’s other challenges. Obviously, in our division, it’s not that different from the Indians. We play against teams that have, not double our resources, but close to double our resources. So, there’s still a significant challenge. Not to ever complain, because I think the upside of this market is just remarkable. If you could build a sustainable winner here, it’s just the number of population, the fact that we’re the team for the entire country, the density near the ballpark of the population, it’s just remarkable.

What was it like to have the Jose Bautista contract situation come up like it did?

Shapiro: I was telling guys,’ Listen, I’ve been through players in walk years before.’ We had that with a lot of different players in Cleveland. Every player is his own person. Every player is an individual. You’ve got to deal with every situation. But, Spring Training is a time where the focal point goes on contracts, because the games don’t count and you have to write every single day, and there’s not many things to write about. You can’t write about guys losing weight every day, so inevitably it turns to contracts. You had to expect that coming in, that we were going to have a lot of focus there. We have eight free agents at the end of the year. It’s a remarkable situation. It’s a situation that I didn’t walk into blindly. We knew. There’s challenges here. Solving those challenges, if it’s not fun to you, if you don’t enjoy that, you’re probably in the wrong business.

Has the fan reception been better since you first took over?

Shapiro: I think there was no games being played. Everything ended. People were kind of like shocked at how it ended and I was the only one standing. So, I got a lot of that directed at me. Other than the fact that that wasn’t what you expect when you make a decision to leave a place and come someplace, again, I’ve been through plenty of criticism over a career. You’ve been there, man. I mean, Robbie Alomar. I’ve been through trading Colon. I’ve been through that stuff before. It’s just, I didn’t expect it this time. So, it was a little weird. And, the second we started playing in Spring Training, the focus went back on the team and playing baseball. The front office guy shouldn’t be a focal point. That was kind of my point coming in here. It shouldn’t be about a front office guy. If you’re running an organization well, it’s not about one guy — ever. One guy doesn’t make decisions. One guy shouldn’t be the lightning rod. It should be about an organization.
Jays4WS
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,415

Post#236 » by Jays4WS » Mon Jul 4, 2016 11:12 am

hockeywiz is back.
Jays4WS
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,415

Post#237 » by Jays4WS » Mon Jul 4, 2016 11:14 am

Geddy wrote:
Raps_Swingman wrote:http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-shapiro-improving-fan-experience-priority/

maybe they can replace those seats that leave your butt numb and your back aching.

I also would prefer to keep Saturday games at 1pm during the warm months when the roof is open.

They need to make the seats bigger. / more leg room. I am a tall guy, and if anyone big sits beside me at those games its going to be a long night. I find myself standing for half the game because my legs and back start getting sore after awhile.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#238 » by Skin Blues » Mon Jul 4, 2016 3:18 pm

Yeah the seats are brutal. They seem to be crammed closer together in the more expensive seats, too. Don't remember being crowded in the 200's last year, but sitting behind the plate this year seems overly cramped. I'm 6'1 and went to a game with a friend a couple inches taller than me, and it was impossible to sit side by side. Had to turn our shoulders and stagger leaning forward/back the entire game. I don't know how open Shapiro would be to reducing revenue per square foot, though, so it probably won't get any better in that sense.
polo007
General Manager

Post#239 » by polo007 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:25 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/simmonssteve/status/751981438531088384[/tweet]
JAYS HAVE THE MONEY TO SPEND

How much money did Paul Beeston and Alex Anthopoulos leave behind for the Blue Jays and club owner, Rogers Communications?

Simple answer: A lot.

Through 45 home games after last season’s spectacular playoff run, Blue Jays attendance is up 10,980 a game, or 494,065 in total through just over half a season. By rather basic calculations, that means more than $37 million has been spent on Jays tickets when compared with this time a year ago.

New president Mark Shapiro and new general manager Ross Atkins now have the luxury of working with the most flush Blue Jays team since the Pat Gillick World Series years. Whether they get a large a payroll increase for next season isn’t known but Rogers certainly has no excuse for not significantly adjusting payroll to the adjustment in attendance at Rogers Centre.

This makes decisions on free agents Edwin Encarnacion, Jose Bautista and new all-star Michael Saunders all the more fascinating in the wake of the attendance turnaround. Letting both Bautista and Encarnacion walk at the end of the season is a different kind of economics when you’re averaging 39,095 a game.

It’s not possible or reasonable to sign all three — but what about signing Encarnacion and Saunders? Is that possible? What’s no longer an excuse: We don’t have the money.

They have the money. More than they’ve had in 20 years.
polo007
General Manager

Post#240 » by polo007 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:45 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/StarSports/status/752229635161595904[/tweet]
Former Jays manager Cito Gaston says he likes what he sees with the current team, one that sits two games out of first in the American League East Division.

“I’m happy for them, they have a good chance to win and that’s exciting,” Gaston said as the Jays prepared for a Sunday game against Detroit, their final game before a five day all-star break.

Gaston, 72, and looking like he hasn’t aged much since 1992-93, when he managed Toronto to back to back World Series, joined several Jays alumni at the Rogers Centre Sunday to celebrate great moments in the franchise’s history.

Gaston, at the centre of the only two championships the Jays have ever won, also feels the Jays have the players to compete for a World Series.

He particularly took note of Josh Donaldson, who was named the American League MVP in his first season in Toronto last year, and is performing, statistically, at higher levels so far this season.

“He makes adjustments, all the great ones do,” said Gaston, who roomed with the legendary Hank Aaron when he was a player in the 1970s, and still calls Aaron the greatest hitter he’s ever seen in his life."

“I’ve heard (Donaldson) say a few times, about his swing, and how he took some of it from (Jose) Bautista. He can take the ball to right field and he uses all the field, he’s a tremendous hitter and he’s a complete player. I’d put him straight up with Robbie Alomar and Joe Carter, but until the Jays win (a World Series), I’d still have to go with Joe and Robbie.”

Return to Toronto Blue Jays