ImageImageImageImageImage

SI: Jose Bautista on free agency, "I’d be stupid to leave" Toronto (Update P21)

Moderator: JaysRule15

Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,408

Re: RE: Re: Report: Bautista asked Blue Jays for MORE than 5 yrs and more than $150M (Update P12) 

Post#341 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Mar 4, 2016 11:59 am

North_of_Border wrote:
Santoki wrote:OP may want to update this title again as Bautista apparently told Gammons that he wants a 6-year deal...

http://www.gammonsdaily.com/peter-gammons-jose-bautista-and-the-future-of-athletic-preparation-and-longevity/

Trade Bautista. Do it right and grow the window by a few years

Shatkins would be silly to not at least see what's available, but they'd have to be blown away to trade him at the start of a year in which they plan to compete.

Without Bautista our best outfielder becomes 2nd-year player Kevin Pillar. And the other guys are Saunders and Pompey? That's a pretty unproven group to bet your post-season aspirations on.

The ideal window to start a quick retool wasn't this off-season, but the prior one. The roster is now so laden with veteran guys in their prime or nearing the end of their prime that they pretty much have to try and compete. And considering how good the offense is, they'd be silly not to try at this point.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Indiana Jones
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,548
Location: Assistant Dean of Students, Marshall College, Bedford, Connecticut

Re: Report: Bautista asked Blue Jays for MORE than 5 yrs and more than $150M (Update P12) 

Post#342 » by Indiana Jones » Fri Mar 4, 2016 1:58 pm

For some reason I can see Jose getting pissed off at the Jays for not acquiescing to his ridiculous contract demands, and then turning around and signing with Boston or New York for much less just to spite us.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,322

Re: Report: Bautista asked Blue Jays for MORE than 5 yrs and more than $150M (Update P12) 

Post#343 » by Randle McMurphy » Fri Mar 4, 2016 10:16 pm

Indiana Jones wrote:For some reason I can see Jose getting pissed off at the Jays for not acquiescing to his ridiculous contract demands, and then turning around and signing with Boston or New York for much less just to spite us.

He'll go to the team that offers him the most money. If that's Boston or New York, he'll be a Red Sox or Yankee. Might as well prepare for that possibility now.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
azorian
Veteran
And1: 1,660

Post#344 » by azorian » Fri Mar 4, 2016 11:14 pm

Dude wants to get paid. Just like price. He doesn't care about team colours or divisions.

He's had a hell of a career and wants to make up for the money he's lost. I don't know who would do that other than the jays or Boston.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#345 » by Lateral Quicks » Sat Mar 5, 2016 1:56 am

azorian wrote:Dude wants to get paid. Just like price. He doesn't care about team colours or divisions.

He's had a hell of a career and wants to make up for the money he's lost. I don't know who would do that other than the jays or Boston.

Actually apparently Price really wanted to remain a Jay and was prepared to take less to make it happen. How much less is anyone's guess.
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#346 » by SharoneWright » Sat Mar 5, 2016 5:37 am

The Ego has landed.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#347 » by The_Hater » Sat Mar 5, 2016 12:08 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:
azorian wrote:Dude wants to get paid. Just like price. He doesn't care about team colours or divisions.

Actually apparently Price really wanted to remain a Jay and was prepared to take less to make it happen. How much less is anyone's guess.

Source?
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
jaymeister15
RealGM
And1: 1,072

Post#348 » by jaymeister15 » Sat Mar 5, 2016 12:53 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:

Where'd you hear that? Pretty sure that's not right.
azorian
Veteran
And1: 1,660

Post#349 » by azorian » Sat Mar 5, 2016 3:29 pm

I can only imagine what "less" means. Probably a million. He has a massive contract. No way the jays would sign him even if AA stayed on.

Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#350 » by Lateral Quicks » Sat Mar 5, 2016 6:56 pm

Was RealGM acting wonky earlier today? I posted something to this thread, but I don't see it anywhere.

Anyways, I can't remember where I read that, but it was within the last couple days. I'm pretty sure it was an American newspaper
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#351 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat Mar 5, 2016 8:48 pm

Price wasn't even willing to go to the Cubs for less money. He went to the highest bidder in Boston, just like virtually all free agents do.
dennistokyo
Pro Prospect
And1: 75

Re: Bautista denies report that he's seeking 5YR, $150M (Update P6) 

Post#352 » by dennistokyo » Mon Mar 7, 2016 4:34 am

McBlunt1 wrote:My whole point is everyone and their mother are blaming Shapiro and Atkins for the mess The Blue Jays are in Team Salary wise and High End Prospect wise at the Pitching level in the Minor Leagues, But last time I checked it was AA who traded away all our High End Pitching Prospects, It was AA who inherited Tulowitzki's Contract in order to get rid of Reyes, It was AA who handed Russell Martin that ridiculous 5 yrs $82 Million contract, it was AA who traded away Syndergaard, and D'Arnaud for Dickey and his $12Million Salary. Yes I'm aware AA brought in a big piece in Donaldson, that was a fantastic Trade, but he did more damage than good to the BlueJays, and people need to start pointing the fingers at him instead of Shapiro and Atkins

indeed
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,437

Post#353 » by KL78192020 » Mon Mar 7, 2016 4:41 am

Barring injury Bautista is probably going to have one of his best years. He knows what's at the stake, and if he does he's done as a Jay.
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#354 » by Santoki » Wed Mar 9, 2016 7:24 pm

Take it for what it's worth...

Report: Bautista willing to negotiate to stay in Toronto - http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/978647

Now with that said, we also know that he wants a 6-year deal into his 40s and sees himself as $30-million/year guy. So, yes he could be willing to negotiate, but that could mean like 5/150 still.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#355 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Mar 9, 2016 9:40 pm

Santoki wrote:Take it for what it's worth...

Report: Bautista willing to negotiate to stay in Toronto - http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/978647

Now with that said, we also know that he wants a 6-year deal into his 40s and sees himself as $30-million/year guy. So, yes he could be willing to negotiate, but that could mean like 5/150 still.

So saying that he wasn't going to negotiate publicly turned out to be a negotiation tactic. Shocker.

The Jays still can't give him that kind of contract, though, so there's only one way that negotiation is going to go.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Re: Heyman: Bautista prefers to stay, willing to negotiate (Update P18) 

Post#356 » by Yosemite Dan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:28 am

The only thing the Jays should negotiate right now with Jose is to get him to shut his mouth until the season is over. This season may be our last legit chance at the World Series for the foreseeable future and silly distractions like this from an egomaniac trying to prove his worth is the last thing we need.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#357 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:39 am

Yosemite Dan wrote:The only thing the Jays should negotiate right now with Jose is to get him to shut his mouth until the season is over. This season may be our last legit chance at the World Series for the foreseeable future and silly distractions like this from an egomaniac trying to prove his worth is the last thing we need.

I hope he keeps talking all season long. If history shows us anything, a Bautista with a chip on his shoulder is the best kind of Bautista.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#358 » by Yosemite Dan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:22 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Yosemite Dan wrote:The only thing the Jays should negotiate right now with Jose is to get him to shut his mouth until the season is over. This season may be our last legit chance at the World Series for the foreseeable future and silly distractions like this from an egomaniac trying to prove his worth is the last thing we need.

I hope he keeps talking all season long. If history shows us anything, a Bautista with a chip on his shoulder is the best kind of Bautista.

Yeah but it was a chip on his shoulder toward opposing teams, not his own and it may end up affecting the clubhouse. What if during the season we're in a situation where we need him to lead off or move up to 2nd in the order for a few weeks, is he gonna refuse or make a stink about it because it will affect his power #'s and therefore his bargaining position when he is a free agent? Will he be swinging for the fences every at bat to try and prop up those power #'s at the expense of getting on base at the prolific rate that he usually does because HR's bring in the dollars for free agent contracts not walks.

The point is when you publicly make everything about you and your next contract, you come off looking petty and selfish and teammates get the impression you're not fully invested in team goals and start to question your motives. And that could lead to a fracturing of the clubhouse. By keeping your mouth shut, at least you give the appearance that team success is the most important thing. There is a human element to a team's success, it's not all about the #'s. A happy workplace is a productive workplace and him not being happy all season because of this perceived disrespect from ownership is never a good to thing to let permeate thru the clubhouse.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#359 » by Wo1verine » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:43 am

I love his attitude + swag personally! Guy who isn't afraid to say what's on his mind! JoeyBats has always been the leader of this team and it would be awesome to keep him around for the rest of his career!
Sick of seeing guys leave because they "want too much money." We aren't ever going to sign a top FA, so why not keep the ones around who actually want to stay even if it means you overpay? At least it would be for a guy who takes care of his body as good as anyone?
BrunoSkull
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#360 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:49 am

Yosemite Dan wrote:Yeah but it was a chip on his shoulder toward opposing teams, not his own and it may end up affecting the clubhouse.

Except he's had bones to pick with ownership several times before and it's never hurt him. In fact, considering how great he's been on the field, you can only say it's helped. Any kind of perceived slight should only serve to motivate more in a very important contract year.

I'd love it if he kept calling Rogers out for being cheap the rest of the season.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays