ImageImageImageImageImage

Blue Jays acquire Melvin Upton

Moderator: JaysRule15

Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Re: Rosenthal : Blue Jays to acqiure Melvin Upton 

Post#121 » by Santoki » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:35 pm

EH15 wrote:Will there be people clamoring for him to bat lead off like Revere last summer?

Of course they will. Fast black guy = leadoff hitter. Already heard it on the FAN this morning. The average fan has no concept of what OBP is.
Santoki
General Manager

Re: Blue Jays acquire Melvin Upton 

Post#122 » by Santoki » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:38 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:If we offered Hansel for him, you've got to wonder what the Orioles were offering. Gretel? Derek?

So it looks like Bautista will DH and EE will play first (or vice versa) when Upton plays against lefties. That works for me.

If anyone knows who the O's 18th+ ranked players are in their system off the top of their head I would be I shocked :lol:
ldnk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,522

Post#123 » by ldnk » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:02 pm

The_Hater wrote:I'm still comdfused by this. A RH power hitting OF seems like it would be well down the list of needs without a follow up move.

To be fair, last year my first thought at Tulowitzki's acquisition was, yeah, but we need pitching help, not more offense. The prospect isn't the end of the world to lose, the Padres are covering most of his salary so it certainly doesn't hurt from a financial standpoint and Upton is an upgrade defensively on Bautista.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#124 » by dagger » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:17 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:If we offered Hansel for him, you've got to wonder what the Orioles were offering. Gretel? Derek?

So it looks like Bautista will DH and EE will play first (or vice versa) when Upton plays against lefties. That works for me.

Apparently, Jimenez is a net negative, at his salary. The O's didn't even want to take on Upton's salary, on a net net basis.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,402

Post#125 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:25 am

dante9988 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:I'm still comdfused by this. A RH power hitting OF seems like it would be well down the list of needs without a follow up move.

You do know we just lost bautista for 6 weeks and his replacement was a scrub who can't hit the broadside of a barn now. This also means less smoak. Now we can get a cheap mark Lowe type reliever then were set.

Upton and Carrera have the same wRC+ this season.
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#126 » by BramptonYute » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:31 am

dante9988 wrote:

You do know we just lost bautista for 6 weeks and his replacement was a scrub who can't hit the broadside of a barn now. This also means less smoak. Now we can get a cheap mark Lowe type reliever then were set.

Plus he's gonna take JB's spot when jose leaves in the offseason
Xaos
Sixth Man
And1: 1,854

Post#127 » by Xaos » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:36 pm

I like this signing. Didn't cost us anything.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#128 » by LLJ » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:11 pm

My memories of him are only as a Ray. His numbers were actually more modest than I thought, but it seemed like every week I'd see a BJ Upton highlight on the news back in those days, giving me the mistaken impression that he was always awesome.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,924

Post#129 » by JN » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:17 pm

Seems like a smart trade for flexibility this year and next.

One can only hope that Gibbons does not intend to waste the DH spot every time he decides to bring him into hit for Smoak.
super_balls
Starter
And1: 1,837

Post#130 » by super_balls » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:26 pm

LLJ wrote:My memories of him are only as a Ray. His numbers were actually more modest than I thought, but it seemed like every week I'd see a BJ Upton highlight on the news back in those days, giving me the mistaken impression that he was always awesome.

Yup, I remember those days.. Every morning watching Sportnsnet in high school. I always heard something about BJ Upton and Tulo.
ldnk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,522

Post#131 » by ldnk » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:06 pm

I'm fine if the plan isn't to simply have a guy like Upton be Jose next year. Paper payroll where they can claim him as a 15M player while paying him 5M.
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#132 » by BramptonYute » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:01 pm

Interesting, Upton is owed roughly 5 mill for the rest of the season, so next year he's essentially free. Really good trade for us.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#133 » by polo007 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:02 pm

Read on Twitter

The Blue Jays were not prioritizing an outfielder in trade discussions. But they saw enough physical fragility in their outfield of Michael Saunders, Kevin Pillar and Jose Bautista that they would not say no to a sweetheart deal, and the costs for Melvin Upton Jr. fell into that category.

The Padres were willing to take Hansel Rodriguez, a right-hander pitching in Rookie ball whom Toronto did not have internally among its top 30 prospects. The Padres were willing to eat all but $5 million of the $22 million Upton is owed through next season.

With that combination, Toronto saw the value of adding a player who can defend all three outfield positions, run and hit for power. Upton is enjoying a renaissance season (16 homers, 20 steals) and provides a modicum of righty bat protection with Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion likely to leave as free agents after this season.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#134 » by The_Hater » Thu Aug 4, 2016 5:58 pm

So now that everyone has had a good look at Melvin Upton, is it pretty clear that he's every bit as frustrating to watch at the plate as Smoak?
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#135 » by Rhettmatic » Thu Aug 4, 2016 6:14 pm

The_Hater wrote:So now that everyone has had a good look at Melvin Upton, is it pretty clear that he's every bit as frustrating to watch at the plate as Smoak?

You're asking people to judge seven games in which Upton hit 410 percentage points below his season OPS? To what end?
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
dante9988
Rookie
And1: 1,110

Post#136 » by dante9988 » Thu Aug 4, 2016 6:14 pm

The_Hater wrote:So now that everyone has had a good look at Melvin Upton, is it pretty clear that he's every bit as frustrating to watch at the plate as Smoak?

Everyone looks like crap facing houston right now. Can't wait for them to get out of there and destroy the royals this weekend.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#137 » by Skin Blues » Thu Aug 4, 2016 6:15 pm

We've really been spoiled the past few years with how crazy good our offense is. Guys like Smoak and Upton and Pillar are what make up the majority of other teams' lineups. Even when they're good, they're not great, and when they're bad, it can be ugly. Upton is looking really ugly right now, but it's a very, very small sample. It's only noticeable because he's played so few games here.
Santoki
General Manager

Post#138 » by Santoki » Thu Aug 4, 2016 6:21 pm

At the very least his defensive upgrade over Saunders or Bautista is a lot more pronounced than Smoak's over Edwin's.

I'd be fine with playing him everyday and DH'ing Jose but can understand needing to get Edwin breaks and playing Smoak. They should platoon but I'd be more inclined to give Upton a 60/40 split than vice versa.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#139 » by I_Like_Dirt » Thu Aug 4, 2016 6:38 pm

Santoki wrote:At the very least his defensive upgrade over Saunders or Bautista is a lot more pronounced than Smoak's over Edwin's.

This is absolutely the case. Defensively, he and Pillar can practically cover the entire outfield. It's been awesome. And with Donaldson, Tulo and even Travis who has been surprisingly effective defensively in the infield, the team really doesn't give up any of those bad luck hits anymore.

And I harbour no illusions of him being a good offensive player, but he'll be better than he's shown against the Astros. And the defense is worth it. Give EE a break and play Smoak occasionally, but unless Upton really is Thole 2.0 on offense, he really needs to be in the lineup more often than not.
Bucket! Bucket!
CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

Post#140 » by CrookedJ » Thu Aug 4, 2016 6:43 pm

This whole team has looked like AA players at the plate this series

32 innings, 6 runs
hits : 19
K : 50
bb : 7

I think BJ is doing a great job of fitting in.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays