ImageImageImageImageImage

How would you grade Shapiro/Atkins transactions to date?

Moderator: JaysRule15

How would you grade Shapiro/Atkins transactions to date?

A
37%
B
49%
C
9%
D
No votes
F
6%

Total votes: 35

bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,523

Re: How would you grade Shapiro/Atkins transactions to date? 

Post#41 » by bluerap23 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:28 pm

Just want to point out that with the addition of Navarro, Atkins has plugged every single hole on the roster. You can argue the team needs another left handed reliever for the playoffs, but take a look at Liriano's splits against LHB's. If Gibbons sticks to using Cecil against Lefties only they will be in good shape for the playoff run. The bullpen and bench look really good now.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Post#42 » by JN » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:57 pm

Although initially unpopular, they also took a cautious approach to a Bautista extension which seems like a very wise decision.

Happ and Estrada instead of Price is really paying off.
I liked getting Liriano who may end up being worth the $12million next year, and getting 2 prospects with it.

Smoak is the only headscratcher but most organizations have those.

I give them a solid A.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#43 » by The_Hater » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:55 pm

bluerap23 wrote:Just want to point out that with the addition of Navarro, Atkins has plugged every single hole on the roster. You can argue the team needs another left handed reliever for the playoffs, but take a look at Liriano's splits against LHB's. If Gibbons sticks to using Cecil against Lefties only they will be in good shape for the playoff run. The bullpen and bench look really good now.

There were many anti-Shapiro people predicting that the Jays wouldn't make any in season moves that added salary. That these guys were brought in specifically not to spend money.

Grilli, Benoit, Upton, Liriano, Feldman and Navarro all added via trades and a lot of salary added to the payroll as a result. They've even added a lot 2017 salary in these deals.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
0 - 100
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,449

Post#44 » by 0 - 100 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:42 pm

Giving him an A-

Has done some great low risk moves for high value. Good bullpen pick ups, grabbing Liriano even though he's a bit shaky but nice to have him on the SL for this year and next. Signing Estrada and Happ - under the radar, solid moves.

Loved the Upton pick up for virtually nothing.

Next off-season will have bigger decisions though so excited to see what happens

Rogers better spend since we have the best attendance in the AL
0 - 100
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,449

Post#45 » by 0 - 100 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:47 pm

The_Hater wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:Just want to point out that with the addition of Navarro, Atkins has plugged every single hole on the roster. You can argue the team needs another left handed reliever for the playoffs, but take a look at Liriano's splits against LHB's. If Gibbons sticks to using Cecil against Lefties only they will be in good shape for the playoff run. The bullpen and bench look really good now.

There were many anti-Shapiro people predicting that the Jays wouldn't make any in season moves that added salary. That these guys were brought in specifically not to spend money.

Grilli, Benoit, Upton, Liriano, Feldman and Navarro all added via trades and a lot of salary added to the payroll as a result. They've even added a lot 2017 salary in these deals.

Shatkins would look foolish if they didn't add to the team this year. Battling for #1 in AL East and have the best attendance in AL, don't see how they could have hid from that. And they actually added smart, low risk additions which is nice.

If the Jays were 5 below .500, I'm guessing they would be sellers.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#46 » by StopitLeo » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:06 pm

JN wrote:Although initially unpopular, they also took a cautious approach to a Bautista extension which seems like a very wise decision.

Happ and Estrada instead of Price is really paying off.
I liked getting Liriano who may end up being worth the $12million next year, and getting 2 prospects with it.

Smoak is the only headscratcher but most organizations have those.

I give them a solid A.

Smoak is on a pretty reasonable deal. He's above-average at 1B and was a good choice to lock down with our other possible first basemen being free agents (Edwin and Jose). It's just something easy to take care of before the off-season IMO.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#47 » by IMAN5 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:33 pm

A lot of people were worried that they'd be penny pinching and letting guys walk with no suitable replacements in sight. Boy were we wrong.

I think everyone pretty much covered it. Happ and Estrada over Price has been great. The other pitchers and players they added during the season have been steals.

Not giving Bautista that huge payday after a great playoff run was a ballsy move but a wise one.

I think the only mistake was not extending EE at fair deal because now he either walks or you have to overpay him more.
instagram.com/510movement
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#48 » by The_Hater » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:08 pm

I was thinking about your post and decided that I disagree. The LHP in the bullpen problem aside, we still have a team who's best 9 man lineup includes 8 RH bats. Making that worse, we currently lineup with the Indians in the playoffs, a team who has all RHP's in their rotation.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,523

Post#49 » by bluerap23 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:29 am

The_Hater wrote:

I was thinking about your post and decided that I disagree. The LHP in the bullpen problem aside, we still have a team who's best 9 man lineup includes 8 RH bats. Making that worse, we currently lineup with the Indians in the playoffs, a team who has all RHP's in their rotation.

Good point, though I think it is a little overstated. When your right handed bats are bautista, donaldson, EE, Tulo, etc. you are ok against RHP. But I agree, they should trade for Joey Votto.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#50 » by Skin Blues » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:05 pm

The_Hater wrote:

The Indians rotation has been better vs LHB than RHB. Second best in the league vs LHB for both wOBA allowed and xFIP, in fact. They're good vs RHB too, but with worse numbers in both categories, ranking 4th.
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,799

Post#51 » by Steelo Green » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:28 pm

The_Hater wrote:

People were complaining about Shapiro and Atins before they even made a move, and when they did, complained that Alex would have done this or that.

Shapiro and Atkins have been very calculated and sharp with their moves. Lots of low risk high reward / do not make the headlines type moves.

They have added prospects while doing so and haven't spent a ridiculous amount of money in doing so.

My only gripe really is the Edwin no deal, which they could have had for cheaper than they will now, and potentially losing out on him entirely, but again, we would have to look at every GM to really have a true problem with what they've done by comparison. They've done very well, and the team they left is showing the fruits of their labour and may even face us in the PO, which for them would be a great accomplishment.
tempests_dawn
RealGM
And1: 1,595

Post#52 » by tempests_dawn » Thu Sep 1, 2016 5:24 pm

I was definitely in the pro-AA/anti-Shatkins camp during that transition. It was hard to emotionally detach from AA and the team he built and buy in to a new regime's framework and track record. I was also anti-Rogers too for handcuffing AA financially during his tenure, and saw the Shatkins team as a confirmation on that approach (re: CLE / budget constraints / etc).

At the time of these moves, it was hard to ignore some non-extensions (Bautista, EE), harder to ignore Happ/Estrada over Price. Hindsight is always 20-20, but overall they've turned out to be the right decisions in year 1.

The in-season deals have been impressive. Low-key and low-cost (in terms of prospects), but very effective.

This year's team is in a very good position to get to the playoffs and make noise there. Solid B for them. Time does help one move on ;)
http://www.jaysfanswantfielder.com - Sign petition here. Enough's enough!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays