ImageImageImageImageImage

American League Division Series | Game 1: Toronto (Estrada) @ Texas (Hamels) | Thursday October 6 | 4:30PM

Moderator: JaysRule15

zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Re: American League Division Series | Game 1: Toronto (Estrada) @ Texas (Hamels) | Thursday October 6 | 4:30PM 

Post#681 » by zilby » Fri Oct 7, 2016 12:14 pm

Dumbest comment of the night still goes to the broadcast team for saying Estrada only has two pitches.

High fastball, curve, changeup and cutter. Doesn't sound like two pitches to me.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Re: American League Division Series | Game 1: Toronto (Estrada) @ Texas (Hamels) | Thursday October 6 | 4:30PM 

Post#682 » by King of Canada » Fri Oct 7, 2016 12:26 pm

Wooohoooo!!! What a game. That was amazing. How long has it been since we had a game like that? Seems like this whole season has been nothing but tight games and stressful innings with relievers. Estrada is so good in high pressure games.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#683 » by King of Canada » Fri Oct 7, 2016 12:27 pm

zilby wrote:Dumbest comment of the night still goes to the broadcast team for saying Estrada only has two pitches.

High fastball, curve, changeup and cutter. Doesn't sound like two pitches to me.

It's funny how clueless national broadcasters always are, but I guess they don't get to see all of the little things like we do.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
0 - 100
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,449

Post#684 » by 0 - 100 » Fri Oct 7, 2016 12:44 pm

Pure domination. Estrada player of the game.

Bats were rolling - Bautista, Tulo, Donaldson ... beautiful to see... let's keep it going today.

This was a big confidence booster.
0 - 100
Lead Assistant

Post#685 » by 0 - 100 » Fri Oct 7, 2016 12:45 pm

Hoopstarr wrote:Just realized that maybe Sanchez was moved off his schedule to game 3 because they don't want him to pitch twice.

Perfectly fine with Estrada pitching twice. :nod:
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#686 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Oct 7, 2016 2:40 pm

Estrada is awesome. Basically the other guys just have to win one game between them because he's lights out when it's put up or shut up time.
Bucket! Bucket!
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#687 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Oct 7, 2016 3:01 pm

pingpongrac wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
pingpongrac wrote:Estrada looked so frustrated. Even after allowing a run to score, I have no idea why you don't let him stay in to try to finish the game. He was still under 100 pitches.

He could get injured...

Stop complaining people. Come on.

I wasn't complaining. I was stating that he looked frustrated and could have easily threw a few more pitches to get the complete game. He had multiple innings in which he threw less than 10 pitches and only threw 3 in the 9th. Do you really think there would be that much more potential for injury with 5-10 more pitches? If so, why even put him out in the 9th for those 3 pitches if you're planning on going to the bullpen as soon as he allows a run anyway?

Meh, he got his shot at the shutout. Once he lost that, it's much less meaningful.

Obviously the chance of injury is small, but why risk it?
ldnk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,522

Post#688 » by ldnk » Fri Oct 7, 2016 3:13 pm

0 - 100 wrote:
Hoopstarr wrote:Just realized that maybe Sanchez was moved off his schedule to game 3 because they don't want him to pitch twice.

It's funny because while both the Happ signing and the Estrada trade weren't outright panned they were unanimously approved deals.

You can make a compelling argument for any of Sanchez/Happ/Estrada being the Jays best pitcher. Having big game pitchers is a great thing.
0 - 100
Lead Assistant

Post#689 » by 0 - 100 » Fri Oct 7, 2016 3:25 pm

ldnk wrote:
0 - 100 wrote:

It's funny because while both the Happ signing and the Estrada trade weren't outright panned they were unanimously approved deals.

You can make a compelling argument for any of Sanchez/Happ/Estrada being the Jays best pitcher. Having big game pitchers is a great thing.

Definitely is. Especially in the playoffs where pitching and defense is heavily weighted.

Right now we are in a good position - lets hope the bats continue with run support
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#690 » by Skin Blues » Fri Oct 7, 2016 3:40 pm

Not to mention we have a guy in the bullpen who is easily in the rotation for any other team (assuming they had our catcher). Liriano has a long history of success and has really clicked again with Martin. That trade is going to be one of the best in recent memory. Two top-5 prospects and Francisco Liriano for Drew Hutchison.

As for saving Osuna, I think we can probably try to get 6-7 innings from Happ, 1-2 innings from Liriano, and then they can split up the 9th based on where they are in the order. What a luxury it is to have a guy that can throw multiple effective innings in the bullpen.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Post#691 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Oct 7, 2016 4:13 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Not to mention we have a guy in the bullpen who is easily in the rotation for any other team (assuming they had our catcher). Liriano has a long history of success and has really clicked again with Martin. That trade is going to be one of the best in recent memory. Two top-5 prospects and Francisco Liriano for Drew Hutchison.

As for saving Osuna, I think we can probably try to get 6-7 innings from Happ, 1-2 innings from Liriano, and then they can split up the 9th based on where they are in the order. What a luxury it is to have a guy that can throw multiple effective innings in the bullpen.

Does "recent memory" include controllable Donaldson for, um, I forget who? No other trade in MLB history can match that one.

But the Jays SP situation right now is ridiculous. To have a legitimate 5-man rotation and genuine arguments over which of all five is pitching best right now ... :o (OK maybe not Stroman, but he was our best last playoffs and may be again.) Liriano completely overmatched the O's in his two innings.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#693 » by Skin Blues » Fri Oct 7, 2016 4:30 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Not to mention we have a guy in the bullpen who is easily in the rotation for any other team (assuming they had our catcher). Liriano has a long history of success and has really clicked again with Martin. That trade is going to be one of the best in recent memory. Two top-5 prospects and Francisco Liriano for Drew Hutchison.

Does "recent memory" include controllable Donaldson for, um, I forget who? No other trade in MLB history can match that one.

But the Jays SP situation right now is ridiculous. To have a legitimate 5-man rotation and genuine arguments over which of all five is pitching best right now ... :o (OK maybe not Stroman, but he was our best last playoffs and may be again.) Liriano completely overmatched the O's in his two innings.

That's why I said one of the best. Obviously a lot would have to happen to top the Donaldson deal.

As for Travis... that sucks. Hope he's back on Sunday.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Post#694 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Oct 7, 2016 5:20 pm

Skin Blues wrote:That's why I said one of the best. Obviously a lot would have to happen to top the Donaldson deal.

As for Travis... that sucks. Hope he's back on Sunday.

Well, I would reserve a separate category for the Donaldson deal. Heists like that just don't happen in major league ball. Even with "The Trade" 25 years ago that solidified that great Jays team, it was tough to give up McGriff (who went on to have a better WAR career than Carter) and Tony (albeit temporarily).

What was amazing about the Liriano deal is that it accomplished Shapiro's goal of helping to replenish the farm system along with giving the appearance of helping the team win now. That was great by itself. That it in actual fact strengthened the team for this season was a miracle. So I grant you, it was a special trade, better in that sense than anything AA pulled off at the deadline in 2015.

I love Devon, but I assume Barney won't be hitting into as many double plays. This may be a good thing.
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,339

Post#695 » by TOStateofMind » Fri Oct 7, 2016 5:26 pm

Glad that didnt turn into anything big

Edit: woops wrong GT lol

Return to Toronto Blue Jays