Read on Twitter
anj
Bench Warmer
And1: 909

Re: Bautista to return to Jays on 1YR deal + mutual option 

Post#142 » by anj » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:23 pm

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Can't watch at work, but does he explain why he's wearing Tyrone Biggums' outfit?

Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,249

Post#143 » by Shaazzam » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:31 pm

lol that is amazing
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#144 » by polo007 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:35 am

Read on Twitter

For those who want to peel the onion a little bit, the reality is Bautista now better understands the Blue Jays’ new front office, the relationship has changed, and so too will his approach to his next potential free agency in the fall. In a 20-minute interview with three reporters, he opened up about his return.

“I think in retrospect – I believe I can speak for myself and not for them – but I feel like I definitely could have handled things differently and maybe things would have played out different,” Bautista said Sunday. “What’s happened has happened. There’s no way to change that now. But ultimately I’m still here. This is where I want to be. I’m hoping to contend for another playoff spot this year, which is with the group of guys that I want to be playing with right now.”

Given the gift of hindsight, how would he have handled things differently?

“Not necessarily changing the things that I said, maybe voicing them in a different setting and in a different way that might not get misconstrued and misunderstood the way that they did,” Bautista replied, referring to both his public comments to media and private comments to the Blue Jays.

“It’s part of not necessarily being acquainted with a new group that you’re trying to get to know and negotiate and all at the same time, that kind of thing happens. They didn’t know me. I didn’t know them. Getting to know each other, that needed to happen. That was the moment that we were in and nothing was going to change that. … That’s just the transition and the moment. Not just me, but a bunch of other guys were in that walk year.”

“I’m happy I’ve gotten the opportunities I’ve had and I’ve been contributing but I’m definitely not playing for any of those goals,” said Bautista. “I just want to continue doing what I’ve been doing, which is showing up and playing hard, helping my team win. I’ll think about those things when I’m retired. That’s the proper time to look at those things.”

He’s far from ready to retire, and as things stand now, he plans to play beyond the age of 39, which is how old he’d be at the end of his current contract with the Blue Jays should each option get exercised.

Then again, he could quite possibly be gone once this season is up as this reunion may very well be fleeting. Or, maybe Bautista and the Blue Jays are now in it together for the long haul.

“If you ask any player, would you have liked to get more money and more years, who’s going to say no?” said Bautista. “As a player, you’re always hoping to get that great, satisfactory contract where you feel like you’re obviously getting compensated greatly, and you’ve got the long commitment.

"I’m playing baseball. I’m making a lot of money. I’m not going to be complaining.”
polo007
General Manager

Post#145 » by polo007 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:29 am

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#146 » by polo007 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:54 pm

Read on Twitter

The Indians made a nice play for Jose Bautista, offering around the same guarantee he got from Toronto ($18.5 million). There was a possibility they might have made it a multi-year deal, but Bautista wanted to go back to Toronto so he cut off talks. Though Indians people say the Jays’ offer he signed was actually better than the one they did offer, which was a creative idea, including a buyout.
polo007
General Manager

Post#147 » by polo007 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:42 am

Read on Twitter

MLB.com: You expressed no interest in Jose Bautista this offseason, saying, "Jose is a villain in Baltimore and I'm not going to go tell our fans that we're courting Jose Bautista for the Orioles because they're not going to be happy." How often do you consider something like fan reaction when considering potential acquisitions?

Duquette: (Laughs) Well that was an easy one; our fans just don't like Jose. We play those guys 25 times a year and he's the face of the Blue Jays. He's the villain in the play whenever we play the Blue Jays. I like our guys. Our guys are good. [Mark] Trumbo is like a working-class-type baseball player. If he was going to work every day on a construction site, you would understand that he brings that kind of work ethic every day. That's the kind of player that our fans identify with. We try to get gritty players that work hard every day and give their best effort every day. Our fans seem to like that and respond to it.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,565

Post#148 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:06 pm

Yeah, Jose definitely doesn't work hard.

What a **** moron.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
jaymeister15
RealGM
And1: 1,072

Post#149 » by jaymeister15 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:29 pm

That's a pretty ridiculous quote. I would have been fine with it if he stopped after the first part of it. I still think it's a dumb reason not to go after someone that could help your team, but I would agree the Orioles fans clearly don't like him (and I'm sure we probably wouldn't if the roles were reversed).

The second part about hard work/work ethic is not based on any fact and has a mildly racist undertone to it. I admittedly don't know too much about Trumbo's work ethic, but I find it hard to believe he works harder during the season and especially during the offseason than Jose does....particularly considering the first picture that pops up when you google him is showing off a pretty impressive double chin.

I mean even if Trumbo was the hardest working player in the league, to imply that Bautista wouldn't fit in on the club because of his work ethic is obviously ridiculous.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#150 » by vaff87 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:13 pm

Yeah, there are definitely some racist undertones in those comments. Especially given that he selected Trumbo, not Jones or Machado...
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#151 » by The_Hater » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:59 pm

vaff87 wrote:Yeah, there are definitely some racist undertones in those comments. Especially given that he selected Trumbo, not Jones or Machado...

I think it's a huge stretch to play the race card on this one. He mentioned Trumbo because he was a free agent as well, those other 2 weren't.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#152 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:55 am

The_Hater wrote:
vaff87 wrote:Yeah, there are definitely some racist undertones in those comments. Especially given that he selected Trumbo, not Jones or Machado...

I think it's a huge stretch to play the race card on this one. He mentioned Trumbo because he was a free agent as well, those other 2 weren't.

The reason Trumbo is "hard working" and Jose isn't though...
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#153 » by The_Hater » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:29 am

Fairview4Life wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

I think he was just trying to praise his guy. The statement itself clearly doesn't apply to Jose.

Jose is the most hated player in baseball. For many reasons. He's got lots of enemies. He's pissed a lot of people off.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#154 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:44 am

The_Hater wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

I think he was just trying to praise his guy. The statement itself clearly doesn't apply to Jose.

Jose is the most hated player in baseball. For many reasons. He's got lots of enemies. He's pissed a lot of people off.

Well, most people are reading it fairly differently.
wamco
Junior
And1: 46

Post#155 » by wamco » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:24 pm

I don't get racial undertones here as the stereotype that I've always heard is that immigrants are very hard workers. I've had that experience with the ones I've hired as well. I'd have a whole staff of immigrants if I could and have said as much, honestly.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#156 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:45 pm

wamco wrote:I don't get racial undertones here as the stereotype that I've always heard is that immigrants are very hard workers. I've had that experience with the ones I've hired as well. I'd have a whole staff of immigrants if I could and have said as much, honestly.

You've never heard the white guys are gritty hard workers who play the game the right way while black guys are lazy natural athletes nonsense?
wamco
Junior

Post#157 » by wamco » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:52 pm

I mean in regards to being showy, swag etc of course. But he was saying blue collar type of worker so I was talking more in regards to that type of work atmosphere.
I don't think for a second that he feels Bautista. I think his statement sounds dumb, but not racist.
wamco
Junior

Post#158 » by wamco » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:53 pm

Feels Bautista is lazy rather**
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#159 » by vaff87 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:36 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
wamco wrote:I don't get racial undertones here as the stereotype that I've always heard is that immigrants are very hard workers. I've had that experience with the ones I've hired as well. I'd have a whole staff of immigrants if I could and have said as much, honestly.

You've never heard the white guys are gritty hard workers who play the game the right way while black guys are lazy natural athletes nonsense?

And Latinos as lazy showboaters.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,997

Post#160 » by JaysRule15 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:11 am

I'm just happy that Angelos didn't let Duquette come to Toronto when Edward Rogers was after him.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays