Recent developments/acquire Gorzelanny

Moderator: Rafael122

Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Re: Recent developments/Nats sign Werth 

Post#21 » by Jollay » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:01 am

Rafael122 wrote:The market for LaRoche seems to be in the $6 mil per year range. I would give him a 2 yr/$12 million contract and see if he bites.

Why not?

Nats also signed Chien Ming Wang (again) today. Deal is for 1 million per with incentives to earn five.

I just don't see the point, even for a mil...

Guess he has as much chance to be the "ace" as anyone, though...
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#22 » by Jollay » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:57 pm

Nats sign Chad Gaudin. Why not?

God, their entire rotation is a crapshoot. Gaudin is a candidate to fill the Miguel Batista role from last year, however...
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#23 » by Rafael122 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:21 pm

Would you have traded Espinosa, Storen and another player for Greinke? Apparently that's what the Nats offered.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Jollay » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:51 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Would you have traded Espinosa, Storen and another player for Greinke? Apparently that's what the Nats offered.

Supposedly the other player was Jordan Zimmermann, but I'm unable to get any confirmation on that.

I believe I would have. Would HATE to lose Storen, but for two guaranteed years of Greinke I would have. Some have suggested that guts the Nats' farm system or something, but it hardly does that.

I like Jordan Zimmermann, but its strange to me that he is untouchable. He's very promising, but he has a long way to go before he is the #2 starter the Nats seem assured that he is.

Then depending on Strasburg and others, the option is there no not re-sign Greinke in two years and get prospects back...

But I'm not upset, mainly because I'm also a Milwaukee guy... :D

Nats sign Rick Ankiel, which is kind of weird. Fits into what the Nats want, though, watched him last year at Nats Park display the best arm in baseball and gun somebody at the plate from not-so-shallow center.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#25 » by Rafael122 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:27 pm

Hopefully he doesn't start, he kills righties though.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Jollay » Mon Jan 3, 2011 8:41 pm

The saga continues with Adam LaRoche. With Derek Lee signing a one-year deal with Baltimore, its hard to believe he wouldn't accept a two-year deal with Washington. Supposedly he's holding out for three years, but I can see why the Nats wouldn't want to do that.

But two years makes sense with a couple of the Nats' prospects supposedly ready by then.

Washington is still looking at a cheap righthanded bat in the outfield, a utility middle infielder, and starting pitching. I hope they don't lock into any more mediocre starting pitching (like Carl Pavano) by overpaying...
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#27 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 4, 2011 12:25 am

You know about our prospects, who are our first base prospects and how do they project?

I'm on the fence about Pavano. On one hand, a guy like him bridges the game with Strasburg. On the other, giving a 34 year old a 3 year deal is a big risk.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Jollay » Fri Jan 7, 2011 1:25 pm

Rafael122 wrote:You know about our prospects, who are our first base prospects and how do they project?

I'm on the fence about Pavano. On one hand, a guy like him bridges the game with Strasburg. On the other, giving a 34 year old a 3 year deal is a big risk.

There are two major ones--Tyler Moore, who was the Nats' minor league player of the year (for position players). He played A ball this year at Potomac, and was the Carolina League player of the year. He's 23 and hit 31 homers and had 111 RBI.

Probably a safer bet to make the bigs is Chris Marrero--he's rated more highly (#9 Nats prospect Baseball America), is slightly younger, and put up good stats at AA Harrisburg this year.

http://www.masnsports.com/byron_kerr/20 ... rrero.html

I would say both are realistically about 2 years away from having a shot to land a starting job. Neither are sure things, but they are fairly good prospects. And although it would be a waste of his athletic ability, the Nats do have the option of moving Bryce Harper to first if nothing pans out...

So LaRoche signed for two years, with a mutual option for the third year. Makes sense. Werth/LaRoche can be presented to the fans as a significant upgrade over just Dunn as well...

I would have to say no on Pavano. I would rather just re-roll the dice on Marquis and Lannan, and hope Maya and Zimmermann can be effective.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#29 » by Rafael122 » Sun Jan 9, 2011 6:28 pm

LaRoche won't replace Dunn's power, but he's so much better defensively. LaRoche hitting 25 homers and possibly pulling in 85-90 rbi is nothing to sneeze at, especially when you have Werth who will probably do the same.

They need to get a couple of bench players though.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Jollay » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Nats acquire Gorzelanny from the Cubs for three minor leaguers.

WASHINGTON -- The Nationals acquired left-hander Tom Gorzelanny from the Cubs for three Minor Leaguers -- outfielder Michael Burgess, right-hander A.J. Morris and left-hander Graham Hicks -- on Monday, according to two baseball sources.

This past Friday, general manager Mike Rizzo said that he was happy with the stable of starting pitchers he has on the roster. He pointed out that Jason Marquis, Jordan Zimmermann, Ross Detwiler and Chien-Ming Wang will be 100 percent healthy, and John Lannan and Yunesky Maya will be more consistent. Add Livan Hernandez to the mix, and the Nationals could have a strong rotation, according to Rizzo.

"I'm really excited about our rotation," Rizzo said. "I see a much-improved Jordan Zimmermann, who is going to take the next step after having Tommy John surgery. He is going to turn into the pitcher we think he is and 14 other clubs think he is. He is the guy that is in demand every time we try to make a trade.

"Zimmermann won one game last year, Marquis won two, Detwiler won one and Maya won zero. I think there are six guys that are going to be much better than they were last year. The pitching is going to improve, because we have guys who have track records that say they are going to improve.

"Marquis is going to get back to being Jason Marquis. Yunesky Maya is going to be the guy our scouts thought he was when we signed him."
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Recent developments/acquire Gorzelanny 

Post#31 » by Jollay » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:36 pm

Gorzelanny is a pretty safe bet to make the rotation--a slight upgrade. None of the guys the Nats gave up is anything special, IMO, so why not?

It's hard to handicap the Nats rotation at this point--really I wouldn't be surprised at anything. Almost everyone there could literally be the "ace" of the Nats next year to completely out of the majors by next season.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#32 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:58 am

1. Zimmerman
2. Lannan
3. Hernandez
4. Gorzelanny
5. Marquis

I think they should try a r/l/r type of rotation. Everyone else would either start in the minors, or a guy like Maya and Detwiler would be used in long relief.

Jerry Hairston signed as well. $2 million plus incentives. He's probably our UTIL guy.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Jollay » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:26 pm

Interesting signing regarding Hairston. Definitely creates competition in camp with a nice contract like that for a utility guy. Have to wonder if the Nats plan on moving Alberto Gonzalez to a more favorable situation for him (playing time-wise), although it is certainly possible the Nats keep both. We'll see what Gonzalez's agent, who happens to run the Nats, thinks (Boras).

Hairston can also play some outfield, as well, which makes him slightly more versatile than even Gonzalez.

Signed Alex Cora as well. I thought that would be more the type of signing the Nats were into--a minor-league type of deal. Knew they were looking for middle infield competition, but didn't think they were into spending two million dollars, which is kind of generous for Hairston.

Signed Todd Coffey as well. Brewers signed him bargain basement a couple of years ago and he delivered. Was very disappointing last year, but certainly could bounce back. Hard to believe he's still only 30.

I tend to agree with your assessment of the rotation Raf. Ideal world for the Nats is almost everybody delivers in Spring Training and the Nats get some trade offers for a vet or two. Marquis would be ideal, but at seven a year, well, good luck. Plus I think Rizzo would love Marquis to bounce back and make him look better. Same with Wang.

Return to Washington Nationals