ImageImageImage

2012 Spring Training (Ryan Zimmerman Extension)

Moderator: Rafael122

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Re: 2011 Offseason 

Post#21 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Nov 9, 2011 7:48 pm

Jollay wrote:Totally agree on Oswalt in fact came on to post the same thing.

I appreciate high-risk, high-reward to go for it somewhat next season, but I believe money could be better spent with less risk.

Oswalt will still not come cheap...

True. If they're going to take a risk on someone, I'd rather see them take a shot on Grady Sizemore because he'd fill more of a need (CF leadoff hitter), probably would come cheaper than Oswalt and offers a higher reward if he can return to form.

If they don't get Sizemore, a player I have not heard mentioned at all is Juan Pierre who I think could be a nice stop-gap on a low cost 1yr deal. Can play center, although better in left due to weak arm, but still at his age is a very good leadoff hitter and a consummate pro and a solid vet to add to our youthful mix.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#22 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Nov 9, 2011 7:54 pm

Rafael122 wrote:They're going to have to spend the money on someone. Wang probably won't be a #3 starter, but a #4 or #5 at $4 million isn't bad considering he might have gotten more in free agency.

BTW, Wang made $3.5 million this past season, so he really only got a $500K raise.

I like the Wang signing and glad they kept him. Puts in a good position... worst case scenario they enter the season with a top 4 of Strasburg, Zimmerman, Wang, and Lannan, with Detwiler the probable front runner for the final spot in the rotation. Now if they can add another front of the rotation pitcher on top of this, Lannan or Detwiler could be used as potential trade pieces.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,765

Post#23 » by Rafael122 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:16 pm

Juan Pierre has an awful arm and he's old.

Rizzo talked with the agent of CJ Wilson and Roy Oswalt. So we'll see what happens. As long as Oswalt checks out medically, I'd be OK with the deal.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#24 » by Jollay » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:12 pm

Looks like the Nats have offered Mark Buehrle.

Pretty smart move if you're dead-set on getting a starter (innings-eater). Go right to him instead of waiting for a "dominoes to fall" scenerio where Wilson goes first and then the competition perhaps rises...

Buehrle is aware he might get more $ to wait, though. Still it's flattering to listen to the full court press from the Nats as the "first choice" over Wilson and Oswalt though.

Nats'll still pay a pretty penny, though. But they have it.

I would have spent elsewhere as I like Lannan and the young guys (Peacock, Milone, Detwiller) but Buehrle certainly makes sense. I would hope/expect the Nats to deal some of that depth for a leadoff hitter/center fielder now. I don't see them outbidding people for the foreign ones available.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#25 » by Rafael122 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:28 am

I think they would trade Lannan. With John you kinda already know what you're gonna get. I don't see John as being a 15 game winner at all. The guy just can't seem to go deep into games, he always has trouble around the 4th or 5th inning.

I would like the Buehrle signing though. If Oswalt didn't have his back issues, I'd prefer him but Buerhle is my top choice
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#26 » by Wizardspride » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:47 am

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/sta...91252741185536

Sources: #Nationals pursuing Fielder. Talks hit roadblock today. Cespedes possible alternative. Story coming on FOXSports.com. #MLB
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#27 » by Wizardspride » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:48 am

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/w...espedes-112811

All that talk about the Nationals not wanting free-agent first baseman Prince Fielder?

Don’t believe it.

The Nationals are showing serious interest in Fielder and view Cuban outfielder Yoennis Cespedes as a potential Plan B, according to major-league sources.

Talks with Fielder hit a roadblock on Monday, one source said, prompting the Nats to revisit Cespedes as an alternative.

Cespedes, 26, is not yet on the open market; he first must establish temporary residence in the Dominican Republic, a development that is expected any day now.

After that, he would petition Major League Baseball to become a free agent. Approval is expected to come quickly, and the bidding on him could begin next week at the winter meetings in Dallas.

Fielder, 27, is the Nationals’ primary target, at least among offensive players, sources said. The Nats also are pursuing high-end starting pitchers, including free agents C.J. Wilson, Mark Buehrle and Roy Oswalt.

The situation is fluid on all fronts; the Cubs, Mariners and Rangers are among the other clubs expected to be in the mix for Fielder, and other teams figure to join them.

While some in the industry believe the Cubs will rebuild, their new manager, former Brewers hitting coach Dale Sveum, enjoyed a strong relationship with Fielder in Milwaukee.

For the Nationals, the addition of Fielder could further bolster a lineup that figures to improve at some point next season with the arrival of another Scott Boras client, outfielder Bryce Harper.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Jollay » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:39 am

I had no doubt that the Nats would be fake suitors at some point as a solid to Boras to drive up the price.

But I think there remains a small to decent chance this could happen, as long as the market remains lukewarm for him at his price.

Nats would have a scary, scary, scary lineup in the years to come with Harper, Rendon, and others in the wings.

Gotta tell you though, I think the Nats are content to let Morse man the position long-term.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#29 » by Rafael122 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:28 pm

It wouldn't hurt to have Fielder's bat though in this lineup. We don't have a true power hitting left handed hitter.

Morse can man left field, and we could put someone like Bernadina at center until Harper comes up.

I say this has a 50//50 chance of happening. The top teams are out of the running, Red Sox blew their load on Crawford last year. Brewers aren't going to re-sign him, basically Fielder really doesn't have a market yet.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#30 » by Wizardspride » Sun Dec 4, 2011 2:46 pm

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... 4ea64.html

All eyes on Pujols, Fielder, Reyes at winter meetings

The Miami Marlins made a pitch for Pujols and the Washington Nationals, seeking lefthanded punch, are reported ready to bid for Fielder, who at 27, is four years younger than Pujols.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#31 » by Rafael122 » Mon Dec 5, 2011 3:17 am

According to Bill Ladson, we have offered Mark Buerhle a contract. He's looking for a no-trade clause.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#32 » by Rafael122 » Wed Dec 7, 2011 8:45 pm

Latest Ken Rosenthal tweet suggests that the Marlins and Nationals are the two teams left for Mark Buerhle. Marlins, however, have offered Wilson a year contract, so if Wilson accepts, that would assume Buerhle goes to t he Nats.

1. Strasburg
2. Zimmermann
3. Buerhle
4. Wang
5. Lannan

Solid rotation 1-5.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Jollay » Wed Dec 7, 2011 8:53 pm

It definitely is looking like that. As always it'll be interesting to see who signs where first, because it'll set a chain of events in motion. No one wants to set the market for anything under their maximized value though.

I hope the Nats trade some of their young pitching depth in this case for a cf. If Mark B. signs...
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#34 » by Rafael122 » Wed Dec 7, 2011 10:07 pm

Buerhle to Marlins, 4 yrs/$58 million. WOW.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Jollay » Wed Dec 7, 2011 10:54 pm

That pretty much eliminates the Nats or any other sane team going out and getting starting pitching. Almost 15 million a year? No thanks. It's said the Nats will turn to Oswalt now, no thanks if it's anywhere near this cost.

Guess Detwiller, Peacock or Milone might actually get a chance this year now...
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by Rafael122 » Thu Dec 8, 2011 2:36 am

$14.5 million for a guy who would be at best our #3 starter is a lot of coin.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by Rafael122 » Fri Dec 9, 2011 1:59 pm

With the way the Pujols saga played out, I really hope the Nats look into extending Zimmermann as soon as possible. If the guy is killing it through June of next season, lock him up.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Jollay » Fri Dec 9, 2011 3:27 pm

Rafael122 wrote:With the way the Pujols saga played out, I really hope the Nats look into extending Zimmermann as soon as possible. If the guy is killing it through June of next season, lock him up.

Agreed.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Jollay » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:59 am

Nats trade Balester to the Tigers for Ryan Perry.

Perry was a first rounder in 2008 and throws hard like Balester. Has control problems though, that I guess the Nats are hoping they can improve upon ala H-Rodriguez. Probably also did it because Balester is out of options, Perry is not.

Lateral move I suppose.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Jollay » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:13 pm

So the Nats are interested in Mike Cameron apparently. He's 39 and about done, but he probably can still play an okay center field.

Although they're supposedly looking at him purely as a bench bat, it shows the Nats might be cooked in their pursuit of a centerfielder.

I suppose Ankiel/Cameron would be a passable combo in center for a year. If they can even sign Ankiel and not give a Lance Nix-type of effort.

Yu Darvish (SP) was posted and I would bet the Nats bid. We will see about that as well.

Return to Washington Nationals