NL EAST Champs!

Moderator: Rafael122

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

NL EAST Champs! 

Post#1 » by Rafael122 » Fri Sep 5, 2014 1:59 pm

Haven't been posting a whole lot on this board but it's been a crazy year at work but I finally have time to sit down and breathe.

Anyway, the magic number for the Nats stands at 17. Meaning they need any Nats win and/or Atlanta loss to lower the magic number. They currently have the best record in the National League which is important because if they get the top seed, they will not have to face the Cardinals in the Division Series. Nats are from from a lock to win the division, but they are up 7 games w/24 games left. I read somewhere that Atlanta would have to go on a massive run, i.e. winning like 17 of their last 20+ games and the Nats would have to play .500 ball the rest of the way for Atlanta to even have a chance at the division.

The last 24 games are against the NL East, including 6 against Atlanta. Nats have the Phillies for 3 this weekend while Atlanta has the Marlins for 3 as part of a 9 game road trip.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Nats wrap the division up next week. Atlanta is in town on Monday, hypothetical but say the Nats are up 9 games on Atlanta as of Monday. Nats take two out of three from the Braves and they're sitting at 10 games in front of Atlanta w/17 games to play. Almost impossible at that point, but we'll see.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: The Home Stretch 

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 1:26 pm

Phillies took 2 out of 3 from the Nats over the weekend but Miami also took 2 out of 3 from the Braves.

Storen has been installed as the new closer and has been lights out. Braves are now 8 games back from the Nats, and their magic number is now down to 12. Jordan Z vs. Ervin Santana tonight at Nats Park.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: NL EAST Champs! 

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:14 pm

Nats won the NL East Division for the 2nd time in 3 years. I watched most of the post-game celebration in MASN, who did a great job of making it seem like we were there.

The team is going to have to make a very interesting decision. Stras, Jordan and Fister are locks for the playoff rotation, but who's going to be the long man out at the pen between Roark and Gio? I'd say you have to give the ball to Roark. Gio has been inconsistent and that may be fine for a game in mid-May, but this is the playoffs.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#4 » by TheKingofSting » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:16 am

Congrats from a Braves fan, you guys flat out took it, even if we hadn't struggled you guys were lights out in the second half, represent the East and give them hell in the playoffs.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:52 pm

TheKingofSting wrote:Congrats from a Braves fan, you guys flat out took it, even if we hadn't struggled you guys were lights out in the second half, represent the East and give them hell in the playoffs.

You guys will be back next season, just gotta make a few tweaks offensively. You guys got battered w/injuries early on, I believe 3 pitchers needed TJ surgery. Too much to overcome.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#6 » by LyricalRico » Wed Oct 1, 2014 8:53 pm

Any space left on the bandwagon? :D

I usually don't follow baseball until the playoffs anyway, but I'm definitely excited for this fall since the home team looks like one of the favorites. I'll definitely be watching. Go Nats!
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Rafael122 » Thu Oct 2, 2014 1:36 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Any space left on the bandwagon? :D

I usually don't follow baseball until the playoffs anyway, but I'm definitely excited for this fall since the home team looks like one of the favorites. I'll definitely be watching. Go Nats!

Never too late to get on the bandwagon!

Return to Washington Nationals