Exploration of Trade

Moderator: THE J0KER

torotoe
Sixth Man
And1: 184

Re: Exploration of Trade 

Post#61 » by torotoe » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:21 am

pickIBL wrote:
torotoe wrote:3. The nuggets need smarter/more effective play calling. If they have a competent, well rounded group of 5, they can execute without andre. He is a CRUTCH that allows Karl to skate by without effective play calling IMO.

First, I am merely giving credit to Andre Miller for being a savvy vet that knows how the playoffs work. I'm not on a Miller bandwagon or anything. Just he knows the Nuggets need a 1/2 court game... and the rest of the staff/team ignores it.
He deserves some credit for sure. He helps quite a bit in the short term. Not sure why there isn't more emphasis on halfcourt sets. There should be imo.
I like advanced stats a lot... however by the numbers I presented I was talking about Lawson only this year. And you used advanced stats to wiggle around how Ty Lawson's shot selection could improve. The thing is if you give John Stockton Lawson's natural ability that would be insane. Lawson at 5'11 plays above the rim...

Part of Lawson's troubles involve Iggy. For some reason he is just hard to play next to. Jrue is experiencing the opposite.

I like TS% in this case. Andre is a good FT shooter and you might as well assign more value to the three point shot he puts up once a game. TS% makes Andre look good. Aside from this year though, Lawson is more efficient. After a slow start, he's been playing at an All-star level. Look at his November: .403 FG, .233 3FG. December: .414 FG, .370 3FG. January: .479 FG, .476 3FG. He's been very efficient.
And the highlighted point above is dead on. Karl has used his decent ability to manage big NBA stars to skate by in this league. Now that we have a team full of really good players and no HUGE names... his schemes come up short. So Ty & the neverending fast break regardless if anything is there is the offense.

Agreed. IMO this offense puts a ton of pressure on Ty, who is best when relaxed and in rhythm.
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 213

Post#62 » by ChuckS » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:21 pm

torotoe wrote:Part of Lawson's troubles involve Iggy. For some reason he is just hard to play next to. Jrue is experiencing the opposite.

One could make that argument, I suppose. AI is the new kid on the block. With Andre still there, though, doesn't your following sentence seem contradictory?

torotoe wrote: After a slow start, he's (Lawson) been playing at an All-star level. Look at his November: .403 FG, .233 3FG. December: .414 FG, .370 3FG. January: .479 FG, .476 3FG. He's been very efficient.

Was it really Andre's fault. I tend to agree with Cassius: "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

I see nothing in Dre's game that should affect Lawson. He certainly didn't slow Iverson. In fact as a rookie he started over a former all-star and then still one of the league's best shooters because he more complemented the original AI's game. And his chemistry with Miller, in Philly, made them my two favorites. Based on your own statistics, is it totally inconceivable that Ty just started slowly, or do I place too much emphasis on individual responsibility?

On the other hand, I cannot disagree that Jrue Holliday is playing better this year. I just do not believe it is because of any Iguodala weakness or incompatibility, but instead because of the loss of his skills. Last year he led Philly in assists. In his absence Jrue has doubled his own this year. Last year Dre and Lou Williams outscored him, but absent them (22 shots and 27.4 points), and anyone good but Thad Young, more scoring burden has been placed on Jrue, who has come through, while taking four more shots and playing five more minutes per. There has also been a personal down side. Holiday has drawn some local complaint for doubling his turnovers this year. (Dre helped with the offense, as a point forward.) So yes, Holiday has been better (in Dre's and Lou's absence), but, alas, the same cannot be said for the team. Also, do not forget that Jrue played the two in college. He improved every year as a pro (even with Dre there), and I believe his play this year is as much personal maturation as it is because of opportunities created by Iguodala's absence. Even if possibly sped by the latter, I think it was ultimately inevitable. Before homogenized milk we used to say that cream rises to the top.

One other thing, in conclusion. I think no player, other than a point guard, can so control his own destiny. To the contrary, bigs can suffer if they do not get a timely pass while they have their man pinned, and before he recovers, or wings if they do not get a pass when they are open. I just do not believe it works the other way around to any significant degree.

But this post requires a disclaimer. I am a notorious Iguodala fan.
Yoga
Banned User
And1: 83

Post#63 » by Yoga » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Denver trades: Timofey Mozgov, 2013 1st
Denver receives: J.J. Redick

Orlando trades: J.J. Redick
Orlando receives: Mozgov, 2013 1st

Denver gets a shooter off the bench, while Orlando gets an expiring (Mozgov) and a 1st rounder

--

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1232459
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#64 » by pickIBL » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Maybe they should just give us AA back. :wink:
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#65 » by peachbucket » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:13 am

eathb_au wrote:Just McGee for KG is fine.

I don't think KG would come without Pierce. What do u guys think of this?

KG
Pierce

for

McGee
Iguadala
2014 Knicks 1st Rounder
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#66 » by The Rebel » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:48 am

peachbucket wrote:
eathb_au wrote:Just McGee for KG is fine.

I don't think KG would come without Pierce. What do u guys think of this?

KG
Pierce

for

McGee
Iguadala
2014 Knicks 1st Rounder

I would not do it with giving up a 1st rounder, fact is I am just not that interested in those 2.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#67 » by pickIBL » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:02 pm

I wonder what that chances are that Iggy opts out right now?

I'm not really for a Wilson Chanlder or Andre Miller trade... but if it helps it helps. I think if Andre Miller goes they'd better have plans to ship McGee somewhere too. I just think they might as well shop McGee period.

But we don't have to go out and get a vet. If the Warriors are willing to give up Harrison Barnes in a package for McGee and a wing... we ought to talk to them about that.

We get back a contract that runs through next summer... they get McGee & Chandler.

I also got no issue with Mozgov going for a draft pick. We could just call up Tim Ohlbrecht from the Vipers. He's earned it.
um.
Junior
And1: 78

Post#68 » by um. » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:23 am

Why not trade for josh smith? we can trade them McGee and Wilson Chandler. or Wilson Chandler, mozgov, and a 1st? If you've all noticed, teams trying to a win a championship trade for good players.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by The Rebel » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:17 pm

um. wrote:Why not trade for josh smith? we can trade them McGee and Wilson Chandler. or Wilson Chandler, mozgov, and a 1st? If you've all noticed, teams trying to a win a championship trade for good players.

What problem does Josh Smith solve on the team other then adding a big name?

He has horrible effeciency, he is not all that great at rebounding, he is actually shorter then Faried, which reminds me he would force Faried to the bench. the only thing he is good at is defense, but the Nuggets need an outside shooter much worse then they need another athlete who is only really good at defense.
torotoe
Sixth Man
And1: 184

Post#70 » by torotoe » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:17 pm

The Rebel wrote:
um. wrote:Why not trade for josh smith? we can trade them McGee and Wilson Chandler. or Wilson Chandler, mozgov, and a 1st? If you've all noticed, teams trying to a win a championship trade for good players.

What problem does Josh Smith solve on the team other then adding a big name?

He has horrible effeciency, he is not all that great at rebounding, he is actually shorter then Faried, which reminds me he would force Faried to the bench. the only thing he is good at is defense, but the Nuggets need an outside shooter much worse then they need another athlete who is only really good at defense.

You have to give him credit. His defense is almost at Iggy's level.

Otherwise, I agree, he would not be a good target.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#71 » by pickIBL » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:13 pm

I feel most sure about one position on the Nuggets AND that is Ken Faried at the PF slot for at least the next decade. Can Josh Smith play the 3 or the 5? Not really.

Josh has got skills... no argument there. But Faried is on track to be a reincarnation of Rodman without the demons... so why mess that up. Just let it happen.

I will admit that shopping for a rookie would not increase our championship shot this year. But Barnes could replace Iggy in the lineup in a year or two. Barnes is going to be good folks... not a superstar... but you could tell even back in Ames that he had a ton of skills... plus a good head on his shoulders. No drama or issues with that guy. And a guy who plays both ways.
patrol345
Junior
And1: 21

Post#72 » by patrol345 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Just an idea but what if we traded McGee for Howard with all of his drama and traded koufus and Chandler for smith.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by The Rebel » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:55 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... For-Mozgov

don't know if they have a better deal they are looking at or if they really have decided to keep Mozzy, but that at least is a decent offer.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by The Rebel » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:17 am

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson

To all those saying horrible deal: checked with two league people just now via text. They both say Denver can do a lot better for Mozgov.

https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson

Minny reporter
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#75 » by pickIBL » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:20 am

Yea could be a lot of things going on there... but keeping Mozgov just because doesn't make too much sense to me.

Maybe it was just the Nuggets having some fun with Kahn... highlighting the failed Roy experiment.

Maybe McGee could be on the move. Or maybe something else is going down with Mozgov with another club.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by The Rebel » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:50 am

Chris Tomasson ‏@christomasson

Sources say Nuggets turned down a trade offer earlier this season of Danilo Gallinari for Rudy Gay. Gallinari making them look smart tonite

https://twitter.com/christomasson

for those who don't know of Chris Tomasson, he was the Rocky Mountain News Nuggets beat guy for a long time, and seems to still have better connections with the team then the current beat guys with the Post.
darivo
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#77 » by darivo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:46 am

if no trade for Moz, then can Javale be traded?
eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,115

Post#78 » by eathb_au » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:45 am

Not really since Mozgov is a big downgrade from McGee.
eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,115

Post#79 » by eathb_au » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:02 am

Charlotte discussed Gerald Henderson for Timofey Mozgov (Denver) and J.J. Hickson (Portland) but talks gained no traction, sources tell Y!

Well Henderson is an upgrade over Brewer but he is not exactly a proven career 3pt shooter. I still would do the swap for Moz though.

Return to Denver Nuggets