ImageImageImage

Nuggets Off-Season to-do list.

Moderator: THE J0KER

Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Nuggets Off-Season to-do list. 

Post#1 » by Powder Blue » Tue May 6, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm bored so I'm gonna to flesh out what I think the off-season to-do list should be. Keep in mind this is my educated, reasonable opinion, not a fantasy one.

1. Take the best player on the board at 11

Because this isn't a fantasy Denver will have the 11th pick. Mock drafts are all over the place as to who will be available at the 11th spot. I'd like to see the Nuggets be aggressive and do one of two things here. Either package players and move up or trade away the pick with cap relief (JJ, Nate, AR). The latter will probably be easier, as we've discussed I don't think one of our quality players is worth a 4-5 position jump and I don't see many teams ahead of us wanting to trade their pick.

The other more likely options is taking the best available at 11 and seeing what happens, given that the roster is packed we might not see much of the kid early on. Our 2nd round picks will be traded or won't make the roster.

2. Dump Vesley, Brooks, Q and Randolph. Add King J

Cap jumps to $63 and tax will be $77 per Larry Coon

Robinson and Arthur will pick up their player options, so that makes for 12 guaranteed players at about $63 with 3 free roster spots. Q, Vesely and Brooks are all gone. I like Brooks over Robinson but they can't move nate off the ACL so he stays and brooks gets paid elsewhere. I'm not a fan of all the projects currently on the roster. Vesely and Q can go in favor of a rookie and King Joffery (averaged nearly a double-double in the Euro League).

I'm not seeing much movement of guaranteed players this off-season. With so many question marks in terms of injury recovery I think we are very quiet in free agency and trades. Chandler is probably the most moveable asset. He could go solo or packaged with a pick or another player. Trading or buying out Randolph seems doable. We are stuck with Mcgee and while dumping Nate/JJ would be awesome it takes two to tango and I don't think we'll find a dance partner.....unless the name "Faried" comes up.

I don't know what the Nuggets should do with Faried. He can command McGee money next off-season and I don't know if he's worth that. Problem is McGee might not be worth it either but we're stuck paying him. We don't know if McGee and Faried can play together effectively. I don't want the Nuggets paying 4 guys over 10 million when none of those guys are all-stars. I also don't want to dump Faried just to move up 3 draft spots. Lets see how he comes out next year with Gallo and McGee then go from there.

I'd like to see the Nuggets upgrade the 2-guard spot but Foye had a solid year and will find more space with Gallo back out there. Overall the roster sucks at D but is so locked-in and injured that it will likely only see small additions/subtractions prior to training camp.

3. Get Healthy

Gallo looks really good in those videos, I'm counting on he and McGee being ready to go for camp. Nate and JJ got injured late so I think they'll come along slower and one of the four is bound to have a set-back in recovery.
pickaxe
Analyst
And1: 66

Re: Nuggets Off-Season to-do list. 

Post#2 » by pickaxe » Wed May 7, 2014 12:23 am

Let's not get into a big man deficit again. Keep all the big men.

Can't comment on the rest of it until we see what we can get in the draft, so I'm just going to talk about the bigs for right now.

What is the availability of Steven Adams? I like that he can take a lot of damage and not blink an eye. Could be an excellent backup in that he keeps his cool 24/7.

The year after Melo, I really liked what we had in 4 seven footers to rotate at will. Huge advantage given how winded big men can get at mile high. Also, when a big man has his full power there just isn't a lot slashers can do to penetrate.

I suppose the one main consideration is if we keep on 4 seven footers, that they aren't just stiffs. Being able to be active, run, be tough minded are all important.

McGee surrounded with Gallo, Vesely, Faried at PF seems to work very well in terms of rotational energy. We could even add one more seven footer.

The idea is that once you have the bigs question answered, the guards and the small forward can really go to work and we can maximize what we're getting out of those guys. I.e. we don't need a superstar mentality.

Also, the team has a very interesting overlap if you simply answer the bigs question. There are 3 natural centers, 2 natural power forwards, 2 natural small forwards, and atm a mix of combo guards with Ty running the helm.

That particular lineup, only when you fill the big man question, can shift to a big lineup and back to a small lineup with ease. It can wield a sharpshooting power forward, or bang the boards if it needs to.

The dynamic aspect of the team is one that I will remain to be obsessed with. Mainly because it brought this team a ton of success in the immediate years post-melo.

It was perhaps coincidence that we got a look at that type of team, but we got to see it. It's just foolish to not learn from that time in Nuggets' history.

Keep the bigs rotation flourishing. (Centers not Power Forwards)

put the ball in the basket like this
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#3 » by The Rebel » Wed May 7, 2014 12:53 pm

I agree with Pickaxe, to me the biggest need the Nuggets have is at center, under Karl and most coaches it is a need, but with the system that Shaw seems to want to run the Nuggets need a skilled center or two.\

As for the roster as a whole, I think they need to move one of Chandler or Quincy Miller, they both are best suited as backup forwards, and if Gallo is going to be ready to go by training camp one of the could go.

I would also figure a way to get rid of Anthony Randolph, any time he played in meaningful minutes it seems like the Nuggets lost the game, and I believe you can only have one or two boneheads in the rotation if you want a chance, given that McGee is not going to be moved Randolph needs to be.

I would also try to find a way to dump Robinson and keep Brooks, with the rumors that Robinson was a problem in the locker room and with the way Brooks played once he got to Denver, I think Brooks should be Lawson's long term backup. I also think that after the last couple of stops for Brooks that he will not cost all that much to keep, maybe a contract in the 2-3 million a year deal on a 3 year deal.

They also need to find a way to clear the glut of Power Forwards, personally I would wait until the trade deadline and find a way to trade JJ Hickson, but that is just me. I prefer having the defense that Arthur provides to backup Faried.

Overall I think this team needs to make some moves, you need better fits for Shaw's system if you think you are going to keep Shaw, so you may as well make the moves you can while some of the bad fits or bad attitudes have some kind of value.
Powder Blue
Analyst

Post#4 » by Powder Blue » Wed May 7, 2014 2:46 pm

Joffrey Lauvergne is 6'11" and has a bit of a post-game. I think he could beat Vesley out for a roster spot.

You see C as the biggest need? We have two young starting C's on the roster and 3 other 6'11' players at our disposal. We only have one somewhat consistent SG and he's 30. Playing small PG's at SG exposes us just like playing small PF's at C. Will another C get much playing time behind the M&M towers?

Maybe the Pacers will want to dump Hibbert in the off-season.
RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,247

Post#5 » by RRFB » Wed May 7, 2014 3:25 pm

I've kind of backed off the "trade Faried at any cost" stance for now. He really finished this season strong and he's about to enter his first contract year. I could see him having a monster season.

McGee is the biggest question. I thought Mozgov played well enough to commit to him as the starter. But how low is McGee's trade value? Then again, if Shaw can get McGee to make a leap similar to the one Mozgov just made, maybe there's still a chance he can be an elite center.

Arthur is our best backup big, IMO. He's our best defender and our best stretch 4. I like him as Faried's primary backup but health always seems to be an issue for him, so we have to keep at least one of Hickson and Randolph around. The coaching staff had a lot of good things to say about Vesely too, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him back.

I agree with Rebel on Brooks/Nate but I think it'll be damn near impossible to trade Nate right now.

All that said, I really have no idea what to expect from our front office this summer. I have more confidence in Connelly than most, but I don't have a clue what they're going to do. I also don't know enough about college basketball to even speculate who we might take at #11.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by The Rebel » Wed May 7, 2014 6:01 pm

Powder Blue wrote:Joffrey Lauvergne is 6'11" and has a bit of a post-game. I think he could beat Vesley out for a roster spot.

You see C as the biggest need? We have two young starting C's on the roster and 3 other 6'11' players at our disposal. We only have one somewhat consistent SG and he's 30. Playing small PG's at SG exposes us just like playing small PF's at C. Will another C get much playing time behind the M&M towers?

I don't see a single quality starter at center on the Nuggets roster, while Mozgov had some good games I do not believe that he is a guy who you can run Shaw's offense through, and I am 100% convinced Shaw will go back to the system he tried to run early in the season the 1st chance in gets. As for McGee he has yet to show he is dependable as a backup center, sure he may still grow into it, but I would 100% go after at least 1 true center whether it is a young guy who needs to develop or a very good player that becomes available. Also just because someone is tall does not make them a center, also I do not know who you are counting as being 6'11" but if you are saying that Vesely, Randolph, Gallo, or Q Miller can play center than I would not want you to make decisions for my team. If I had my way 2 of those 4 would be gone before next season, the other 2 are best suited to play SF.

As for SGs, sure a bigger consistent SG would be nice, but right now you have a talented young SG backing up an outside shooting SG that fits perfectly into what Shaw seemingly wants to do, add to it I would keep Brooks and you still have Lawson and Robinson, and I would say they are capable of playing spot minutes at the SG when needed.

The thing is you are one of Shaw's biggest supporters, I would think you would look at what Shaw wants to do, and than base your moves off of that. You need bigs that can play in the post, outside shooters, and a PG that is fine with having the ball in his hands. Right now the Nuggets have suitable guys for 2 of those 3. So if you believe in Shaw then you should find a way to give him what he needs.
Powder Blue
Analyst

Post#7 » by Powder Blue » Wed May 7, 2014 8:36 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Powder Blue wrote:Joffrey Lauvergne is 6'11" and has a bit of a post-game. I think he could beat Vesley out for a roster spot.

I don't see a single quality starter at center on the Nuggets roster, while Mozgov had some good games I do not believe that he is a guy who you can run Shaw's offense through, and I am 100% convinced Shaw will go back to the system he tried to run early in the season the 1st chance in gets. As for McGee he has yet to show he is dependable as a backup center, sure he may still grow into it, but I would 100% go after at least 1 true center whether it is a young guy who needs to develop or a very good player that becomes available. Also just because someone is tall does not make them a center, also I do not know who you are counting as being 6'11" but if you are saying that Vesely, Randolph, Gallo, or Q Miller can play center than I would not want you to make decisions for my team. If I had my way 2 of those 4 would be gone before next season, the other 2 are best suited to play SF.

As for SGs, sure a bigger consistent SG would be nice, but right now you have a talented young SG backing up an outside shooting SG that fits perfectly into what Shaw seemingly wants to do, add to it I would keep Brooks and you still have Lawson and Robinson, and I would say they are capable of playing spot minutes at the SG when needed.

The thing is you are one of Shaw's biggest supporters, I would think you would look at what Shaw wants to do, and than base your moves off of that. You need bigs that can play in the post, outside shooters, and a PG that is fine with having the ball in his hands. Right now the Nuggets have suitable guys for 2 of those 3. So if you believe in Shaw then you should find a way to give him what he needs.

You don't just want more C's, you want to revamp the C position for the Nuggets, sure that would be great but who is the front office gonna go get? Will they trade for Asik or Hibert? Sign Monroe, Hawes or Gortat? I think we'll be stuck with who we have and at least we have some guys already.

If you're comfortable with Fournier as your backup SG you should be plenty happy with Moz at the C position. We have 2 true C's in Moz and McGee, name me a team that has 3 true C's in their rotation? My potential 6'11" guys were Vesely, Randolph and Lauvergne....and no none are true C's, we have 2 of those.

I don't see a single quality starting SG on the Nuggets roster. I see a 30 year old spot-up shooter and an inconsistent kid. I also think it's 10 times easier to upgrade at SG vice C.

I am one of Shaw's biggest supports....but a C for him to run his offense through is not on this roster and given there are only 2 or 3 of em in the league it's safe to say Shaw will need to run a different offense, one best suited for his personnel.
cold_cowboy
Veteran
And1: 2,220

Post#8 » by cold_cowboy » Thu May 8, 2014 7:33 am

what about the availability of donatas motiejunas of the rockets. in his exit interview, it showed that he's not satisfied with doing all the coaching staff asked of him and still being benched throughout the playoffs. he's a 7 footer with great hands, although his natural position is power forward. if the goal here is to incorporate a skilled center to play within shaw's version of the triangle offense, he'd fit. his only problem is he's inconsistent on offense although his post up is as fluid as anybody's in today's nba and he over-compensates on defense drawing quick fouls, although i think that was due to knowing that his minutes were predetermined either way.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKQ9QX5aQiI[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qku25rHjKQw[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egZc9fcl1Ak[/youtube]
pickaxe
Analyst

Post#9 » by pickaxe » Mon May 12, 2014 9:37 am

It's not the "having" of centers we have an issue with. It's the "presence" of centers. Like, if Mozgov became a beast every night that would greatly decrease our need to find that fourth seven footer. At the same time, having a four seven footer rotation greatly saves big man energy and allows say a Mozgov or a McGee to have a monster night, while still wearing down the opposing team's bigs.

For our particular team, four seven footers works out great. We always have our bigs down for whatever reason. I just like the insurance policy it gives us and the size factor. Just like Rebel said, too many power forwards. We do end up seemingly swim in power forwards quite often and our best years have not been with that logjam at the pf position.

Contrastingly, every year we have plenty of big man presence we do extremely well health wise.

Absolutely want to keep Faried and just have Faried, Gallo and then maybe the former Grizzly pf I forgot his name.

I love the idea that when we go "small" that we can literally still have a seven footer out there and not lose a step.

I would keep Brooks maybe over Nate just because of his 15 assist performances. Nate no matter how you shake it provides confidence and plenty of three pointers. The question is who would you keep between Foye and Nate?

So, yeah Center is a great need and there are the two considerations. Four seven footer rotation to ensure good health in the long run of the season, and to also provide an insurance policy should our chosen bigs not perform the way we assume they will.

I'm all for our "chosen bigs" performing out of their minds before overloading our roster, but that never ever happens and injuries always do happen.

Powder Blue
Analyst

Post#10 » by Powder Blue » Tue May 13, 2014 6:32 pm

pickaxe wrote:

It's not the "having" of centers we have an issue with. It's the "presence" of centers. Like, if Mozgov became a beast every night that would greatly decrease our need to find that fourth seven footer. At the same time, having a four seven footer rotation greatly saves big man energy and allows say a Mozgov or a McGee to have a monster night, while still wearing down the opposing team's bigs.

For our particular team, four seven footers works out great. We always have our bigs down for whatever reason. I just like the insurance policy it gives us and the size factor. Just like Rebel said, too many power forwards. We do end up seemingly swim in power forwards quite often and our best years have not been with that logjam at the pf position.

Contrastingly, every year we have plenty of big man presence we do extremely well health wise.

Absolutely want to keep Faried and just have Faried, Gallo and then maybe the former Grizzly pf I forgot his name.

I love the idea that when we go "small" that we can literally still have a seven footer out there and not lose a step.

I would keep Brooks maybe over Nate just because of his 15 assist performances. Nate no matter how you shake it provides confidence and plenty of three pointers. The question is who would you keep between Foye and Nate?

So, yeah Center is a great need and there are the two considerations. Four seven footer rotation to ensure good health in the long run of the season, and to also provide an insurance policy should our chosen bigs not perform the way we assume they will.

I'm all for our "chosen bigs" performing out of their minds before overloading our roster, but that never ever happens and injuries always do happen.

I'd expect Shaw's rotation to be 8-9 players, it's hard to imagine that nearly half of those players will be centers. There aren't that many serviceable 7 footers out there, can't see us finding 2 more worth minutes in the rotation.
Powder Blue
Analyst

Post#11 » by Powder Blue » Tue May 13, 2014 7:36 pm

Rebel might ban me for saying this but...

What about Gallo, Moz, Chandler for the Melo, Chandler and the 11th pick. It's just hypothetical, get some chatter going.

Lawson/Robinson
Foye/Fournier
Melo/Miller/Fournier/King Joffery
Faried/JJ/Arthur
Chandler/Mcgee

Actually Bosh would probably be a solid fit here in Denver too, maybe Moz, Chandler and the pick for Bosh
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by The Rebel » Tue May 13, 2014 8:41 pm

Powder Blue wrote:Rebel might ban me for saying this but...

What about Gallo, Moz, Chandler for the Melo, Chandler and the 11th pick. It's just hypothetical, get some chatter going.

Lawson/Robinson
Foye/Fournier
Faried/JJ/Arthur
Chandler/Mcgee

Actually Bosh would probably be a solid fit here in Denver too, maybe Moz, Chandler and the pick for Bosh

Why would I ban you for that? For this rep I seem to have I have only had a total of 2 people even suspended, and that was clear back during the Melo drama.

Personally I do not hate Melo, and would take him back for a similar type package to what you propose if he wanted to come back, but there is no way I take Chandler with him, he is pretty much done. Unless they took Hickson with that package.

Also last I checked Bosh was opting out, which means you would have to give up a future 1st, although I am not to sold on bringing in Bosh, I think he likes being the 3rd wheel, I prefer your best player want to be the front guy all the time, and not want to take a backseat to anybody.
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#13 » by Nuggets_Talk » Wed May 14, 2014 6:11 pm

Powder Blue wrote:Rebel might ban me for saying this but...

Lawson/Robinson
Foye/Fournier
Faried/JJ/Arthur
Chandler/Mcgee

i dont quite get that first trade idea...

we give up gallo, moz and wilson chandler for melo, tyson chandler at the 11th pick? we already own their pick.
patrol345
Junior
And1: 21

Post#14 » by patrol345 » Wed May 14, 2014 9:21 pm

I wish connely would be smart enough to keep lawson/gallo/faried/11th pick and tinker with the rest of the lineup as he sees fit, but I dont think he is gonna do that. He keeps giving the impression hes gonna trade number 11 for an "upgrade" and he is "open for business" I dont think we are good enough to be trading away lotto picks unless it is a star in return, and I havent seen one yet thats a star available for number 11.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by The Rebel » Wed May 14, 2014 11:44 pm

The odds of a star coming out of the 11th overall pick are very slim, if the Nuggets could find an underutilized you player buried on someone's roster that could be an all star I would be more than happy with them trading the pick. Something like a Harden or Jermaine O'neal type of deal, the 11th pick and a couple of decent players should bring back a good young guy that wants a chance. Hell even Alex English was traded for a future 1st in a sign and trade a year and a half before the Nuggets traded a broken down McGinnis for English and a 1st.

The other option I would not mind is if they trade up for Embiid, the guy has plenty of physical skills and has shown some decent development for a guy who has only played basketball for a handful of years. If his back checks out I would go after him.

My problem is that I do not trust Connelly, the way last offseason went was terrible, and if he screws up this year he could easily put us right back into a blow up and full rebuild.
RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,247

Post#16 » by RRFB » Thu May 15, 2014 3:38 am

I wouldn't get your hopes up on that. I think it's damn near impossible to trade for a top three pick at this point and Embiid is pretty much a lock for the top three.
Powder Blue
Analyst

Post#17 » by Powder Blue » Thu May 15, 2014 3:15 pm

Rebel that was just sarcasm, I didn't recall where you stood on Melo, NT I did botch that deal IRT the draft pick, we get there's, Orlando has ours (dumb iggy trade).

I think we'd have to give up the farm to move up in this draft. No way those teams tanked all season to trade the pick they played so bad for. All that "open for business, make a big move" is just BS in my opinion, I don't see a blockbuster happening.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by The Rebel » Thu May 15, 2014 4:22 pm

cold_cowboy wrote:what about the availability of donatas motiejunas of the rockets. in his exit interview, it showed that he's not satisfied with doing all the coaching staff asked of him and still being benched throughout the playoffs. he's a 7 footer with great hands, although his natural position is power forward. if the goal here is to incorporate a skilled center to play within shaw's version of the triangle offense, he'd fit. his only problem is he's inconsistent on offense although his post up is as fluid as anybody's in today's nba and he over-compensates on defense drawing quick fouls, although i think that was due to knowing that his minutes were predetermined either way.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKQ9QX5aQiI[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qku25rHjKQw[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egZc9fcl1Ak[/youtube]

Sorry I missed this one earlier, I think Motiejunas is a pretty good idea if you can get him cheap enough. he seems to have a pretty solid game on offense. The problem is that I do not know that the Rockets are in a hurry to move him instead I think they will continue to try to move Asik to create room for him.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by The Rebel » Thu May 15, 2014 4:32 pm

Powder Blue wrote:Rebel that was just sarcasm, I didn't recall where you stood on Melo, NT I did botch that deal IRT the draft pick, we get there's, Orlando has ours (dumb iggy trade).

I think we'd have to give up the farm to move up in this draft. No way those teams tanked all season to trade the pick they played so bad for. All that "open for business, make a big move" is just BS in my opinion, I don't see a blockbuster happening.

I really believe that there were only a couple of teams that really tried to tank, and I think like many others they cannot be thrilled with the way this draft class has looked throughout the college season. Outside of the top 2 or 3 I cannot see any of the top players that I could see being anywhere close to franchise changers, meaning despite all the media hype I do not think the trade value is going to be nearly as high as others seem to think it will be, and honestly if this teams long term future depends on the guys we have now we are in trouble, to many injury concerns.
pickaxe
Analyst

Post#20 » by pickaxe » Thu May 15, 2014 9:58 pm

On the smaller side of things, has anyone thought about trying out DJ Stephens? I'm not sure what prevented him from breaking through but I'm wondering what his defense and athleticism can do for this team in particular. One of the best verticals too. The cadence of his dunk reminds me of Kenyon.

I'm just trying to picture if you plug him in there at starting pay that might benefit the team more than any of the draft picks we'll end up getting. Plus I like the idea of finding a breakout star that got completely looked over. Not saying Stephens is it, I'm just saying look what we have to work with, look what we actually can do to build this team and this pick up is not bad at all.

Ty / Stephens / Gallo / Faried / McGee

You know how many cleaned up dunks this lineup would put up every day?

Everything's a longshot when you think about it. Even Faried people questioned at the beginning of the 13-14 season.

Return to Denver Nuggets