ImageImageImage

next head coach?

Moderator: THE J0KER

StunnaStan
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

next head coach? 

Post#1 » by StunnaStan » Thu Apr 2, 2015 7:19 pm

Who'd would yall like to see running the team next season? I don't have anyone on the top of the list atm
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: next head coach? 

Post#2 » by skywalker33 » Fri Apr 3, 2015 3:56 am

First rumor has Billy Donovan's name being associated with the Nuggets.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
C-Melo Man
Junior
And1: 197

Post#3 » by C-Melo Man » Fri Apr 3, 2015 9:39 am

Melvin Hunt based on tenure as Nuggets' assistant head coach with built relationships with Nuggets players and knowing what system's best to use for the current roster. If not him, I have no idea.
eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,116

Post#4 » by eathb_au » Sat Apr 4, 2015 1:23 am

One thing for certain, if Nurkic is going to be a cornerstone piece Melvin CANNOT be the coach. We've completely abandoned plays involving Nurkic and used him like we used Koufos under Karl (which was to just stand near the basket and get some rebounds).

Nurkic cannot play like that, he doesn't have the vertical for it.
skywalker33

Post#5 » by skywalker33 » Sat Apr 4, 2015 1:31 am

Good observation, sure the FO will be looking at that in the interviews .

swinginhorseman
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#6 » by swinginhorseman » Sun Apr 5, 2015 7:08 pm

I vote Melvin Hunt. I watched the whole nuggets season and that team was night and day from shaws.

Shaw might know his X and O's but he doesnt know how to manage. Im sure we have all been in That position at work sometime in our life. Im sure Shae will take a different approach on his next gig.

Hunt is a great speaker and a humble person. You can get far with that combination.
skywalker33

Post#7 » by skywalker33 » Sun Apr 5, 2015 7:13 pm

Gotta think Thibs will be on this list, we could use a defensive mind around here

Lillard2LA
Ballboy
And1: 6

Would John Calipari Be A Good Hire? 

Post#8 » by Lillard2LA » Mon Apr 6, 2015 2:49 am

Calipari runs a system similar to the one George Karl ran with the 2013 Nuggets. Would he be a good hire for the next head coach?

http://nugglove.com/2015/04/05/should-j ... ext-coach/
skywalker33

Re: Would John Calipari Be A Good Hire? 

Post#9 » by skywalker33 » Mon Apr 6, 2015 3:58 am

Lillard2LA wrote:Calipari runs a system similar to the one George Karl ran with the 2013 Nuggets. Would he be a good hire for the next head coach?

We already have a whole thread started here, sure this could have bee part of the conversation.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1380887#start_here

A bit tacky to try and promote your website here, not that I don't frequent there already....

swinginhorseman
Ballboy
And1: 1

Re: Would John Calipari Be A Good Hire? 

Post#10 » by swinginhorseman » Mon Apr 6, 2015 5:01 am

Lillard2LA wrote:Calipari runs a system similar to the one George Karl ran with the 2013 Nuggets. Would he be a good hire for the next head coach?

Nice article. You really cant go off Hunts numbers as of late. If you read in between the lines you can smell a little bit of tanking. We also dont have a true center.

Why not give hunt a couple of seasons? This organization has made so many bad / quick decisions. Dumping Hunt would be another one.
StunnaStan
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by StunnaStan » Mon Apr 6, 2015 7:41 am

I get the sense that hiring hunt is going to lead tim conolly to do what hes done the last 2 seasons and that's trying to salvage masai ujiris vision of the Nuggets.
Lillard2LA
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#12 » by Lillard2LA » Mon Apr 6, 2015 9:32 am

A complete rebuild could be a smart idea.
StunnaStan
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by StunnaStan » Mon Apr 6, 2015 2:06 pm

Lillard2LA wrote:A complete rebuild could be a smart idea.

Agreed. Heres how i see it,

We could start this rebuild as soon as this season's wrapped up. Prioritize trading Lawson and chandler for a lottery pick (preferably a top 10). Danilo may be worth keeping until next season but history says he'll get hurt again so a trade isn't completely out of realm for danilo. Kenneth faried is only worth keeping if hes going to be our 6th-7th man off the bench. I wouldn't bring hunt back personally but im more concerned about the players on the court.

I also believe that if we don't start the rebuild this offseason, we as fans will sit through 1-3 more seasons similar to the current one only to eventually blow it up. The last 2 seasons should serve as an example of what happens when you stay stagnant. Were still waiting for our starting pf/c (faried) to learn how to play defense, shoot jumpers, and get some post moves. I don't think any of those will come into fruition.
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#14 » by Powder Blue » Mon Apr 6, 2015 3:15 pm

The prevailing theory out there that is the Nuggets are cheap when it comes to their staff. They'll still owe Shaw unless he gets a new job so I don't see them in the running for any of the big name, highly desired coaches
StunnaStan
Pro Prospect

Post#15 » by StunnaStan » Mon Apr 6, 2015 4:11 pm

That is very true. Taking that into consideration, lets assume hunt is the coach going forward. I don't see him making the team better or as good as when we had gk. Now lets say he turns out to be just as good a coach as gk, will he have a roster as good as gk had?

I don't look at records when I determine if a coach is good or not. I look at the offensive sets being ran, the defensive effort/principles shown, and i look at the roster and determine whether or not the team is over achieving, under achieving, or coasting.

Based on those things above, i don't find Melvin hunt to be a good coach nor a bad coach. Hes so in so. He has us running more which is a plus, but it was as simple as allowing the team to push the pace. Brian shaw could of enforced that if he truly believed in running. In the half court, our sets are more watered down than when we had shaw but the players are moving with more urgency due to shaw being gone. On defense, i like that hunt still has the team still fighting over the screen instead of switching everything like gk liked.

That being said, a so an so coach plus a underachieving roster with no star smells like a recipe for disaster
skywalker33

Post#16 » by skywalker33 » Mon Apr 6, 2015 4:55 pm

Well, George Karl may not be as good of a head coach as remembered, he really has done squat for the Kings and there he has a true superstar in DMC. As for the Nuggets, I see Hunt as the perfect HC...for now. While we are building talent and reconfiguring our roster, Hunt will be a low priced, yet nurturing coach that the players will respond well to. And unless he starts to develop as a coach and the team responds with wins and a higher ceiling, he could/should be replaced by a higher profile guy similar to the situation when Karl was hired.

StunnaStan
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by StunnaStan » Mon Apr 6, 2015 10:55 pm

We should replace Wilson with cj fair
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,801

Post#18 » by Chuck Everett » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:30 am

This team (as currently constructed) is not a playoff team in 15-16. No reason not to give Hunt a chance to continue developing the young players/chemistry and having another lottery season next year.

Just my two cents.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,116

Post#19 » by eathb_au » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:00 am

Chuck Everett wrote:This team (as currently constructed) is not a playoff team in 15-16. No reason not to give Hunt a chance to continue developing the young players/chemistry and having another lottery season next year.

Just my two cents.

Problem is, Hunt as coach hasn't been developing the younger guys.

The first criteria for the new coach would be to play the young guys.
JerrySloan
Junior
And1: 54

Post#20 » by JerrySloan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:12 pm

Problem is, Hunt as coach hasn't been developing the younger guys.

The first criteria for the new coach would be to play the young guys.

First of all, I'd ask you to define which of the younger guys, besides Nurkic, you regard as likely to be worthy of helping form a core, - say at least 4 guys - that could be the basis of a future serious contender?

You have Barton, Harris, Green, Clark and Lauvergne to go with Nurkic. Do you believe that even two of these players are likely to show enough progress in the future to exceed the production of the 25 year old Faried, 26 year old Gallo or 27 year old Chandler?

Or are you just tired of these "old' guys and eager to play fantasy bball?

Return to Denver Nuggets