Moderator: THE J0KER

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,608

Re: Michael Malone new Nuggs coach 

Post#21 » by Howard Mass » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:41 pm

eathb_au wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:It's crazy how Malone and the guy who pushed to get him fired Pete D'Alessandro are now reunited.

This rumor was reported by the King's beat writer. Woj has always said it was the ownership that pushed for Malone's firing. And I really have no doubt that Pete would be talked to about Malone.

That is true.

And I have no doubt they would talk to D'Alessandro about him.

We should hear more sides of the story in the coming days but this is just kind of ironic.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,696

Post#22 » by Viper1500 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:46 pm

nice hire
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Post#23 » by MHZ » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:56 pm

Most smart basketball people seem to like the hire. Good enough for me - only time will tell. The coach doesn't change the reality of the roster we're working with. If we don't put real talent on the court, he's not going to last either.

That said, reactions are hilarious. A few examples:

"What a hideously horrible hire. He doesn't fit at all. Never heard of him." - Casual Nuggets Fan

"Great hire, although he's going to have a hard time coaching with Pete D'Alessandro constantly cutting the brake-lines on his car." - Casual Kings Fan

"Which club we at tonight?" - Ty Lawson
Nuggets18
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#24 » by Nuggets18 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:27 pm

Maf wrote:Strange... Like...

"What was your last job?"
"I was fired as a coach of Sacramento Kings"
"Why's that?"
"They want me to play faster pace and I didn't want it."
"You're the man we're looking for!"

WTF???

Sactramento doesnt have altitude.. I'm sure Malone wants to exploit that at home

and its good that they are trying to end the run n gun era. it will never win you a ring, unless you have the best player on the planet
Nuggets18
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#25 » by Nuggets18 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:28 pm

Howard Mass wrote:It's crazy how Malone and the guy who pushed to get him fired Pete D'Alessandro are now reunited.

de we know for a fact that Pete was the reason for the firing=
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,608

Post#26 » by Howard Mass » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:39 pm

Nuggets18 wrote:

de we know for a fact that Pete was the reason for the firing=

That has been speculated.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#27 » by The Rebel » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:42 am

I find it fascinating that Malone only became a strong candidate over the last 7-10 days, after D'Alessandro passed on the St Johns job and was obviously in talks with the Nuggets, then joined the Nuggets. hard to say but I doubt the rumors that it was all Pete is anywhere close to the truth, and exactly what I thought it might be, the Kings pushing it all on a fall guy that was on his way out the door.

The thing about the Kings offense under Malone is that maybe they did not have the personnel to play fast. think about it Cousins has never seemed comfortable running, their PFs are really not comfortable running, and the closest Gay has ever played to a faster pace offense was with the Raptors, and we saw how that turned out. Karl did not exactly make the Kings better than they were under Malone, and we know he can coach a team that gets up and down the court.

Malone was the associate head coach of the Warriors for 2 or 3 years prior to going to the Kings, and I do not remember the last time that the Warriors played a slow pace.

One last thing that I heard on the radio a little bit ago, Malone and Hunt worked together for the Cavs under Mike Brown, and are said to be on friendly terms.

Here is the question, what if Malone was the guy who can bring what we hoped Shaw could? He is a defensive coach who helped make the Warriors defense what it is today, has the ability to get through to players, and should understand how to work a system around his guys.
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by MHZ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:52 am

Well said.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#29 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:52 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,247

Post#30 » by RRFB » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:56 am

The Rebel wrote:Here is the question, what if Malone was the guy who can bring what we hoped Shaw could? He is a defensive coach who helped make the Warriors defense what it is today, has the ability to get through to players, and should understand how to work a system around his guys.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Choosing Malone seems like a second attempt to get the Shaw hiring right. Their similarities in philosophy are a bit worrisome but Malone's experience in GS is comforting. And with Kroenke emphasizing the importance of going back to a running system multiple times this summer, you know that's something that was addressed during the interviews. Also the fact that Malone was able to get Cousins to buy into his system provides evidence that he's a hell of a better motivator than Shaw will ever be.

I do wonder what this means for Hunt. What's his contract situation like? Will he have animosity towards the FO for stringing him along throughout this entire process only to go with another guy? I'd love to keep him around as an assistant but I could also see him going back to SAC to work under Karl.
tstrick33
Junior
And1: 80

Post#31 » by tstrick33 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:06 am

That is clearly the hope that TC and Josh have. He is a much more passionate coach than Shaw, which I like a lot. A face pace offense only works when teams are motivated to play defense, which seems like Malone's strong suit.

I don't think Lawson is going to be a guy willing to buy into Malone, which is why I hope Ty is gone soon. This hiring makes me want Winslow more so we could hopefully create a similar duo w/ Winslow+Barton that we had w/ Iggy+Brewer.
skywalker33

Post#32 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:08 am

Heard Malone and Hunt are friendly, would love to see Hunt join or stay on the staff. He would help the transition for Malone as he is a roster favorite right now, has the trust of many players on the team (some of which would need persuasion)

Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,356

Post#33 » by Puff » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:27 am

You really should have hired D'Antoni and made Malone an assistant at the most. Unfortunately I expect that you will regret this hire not too far down the line.

The damage Steve Kerr did to D'Antoni and the Suns organization is amazing. Since MDA left Phoenix the Suns have made the playoffs once and that was with Mike's players and his top assistant running the show, Gentry. Now Kerr is about to win an NBA championship without ever coaching an NBA game in his life or spending time as an assistant prior to this season. When the going got tough in Phoenix he cut and ran out of Phoenix. This year he gets paid $30 mil and steps into a ready made roster while hiring about 75 assistant coaches to do his job. He spent most of his time in San Diego with his family when he was GM of the Suns. Somehow that workload provided the knowledge to throw MDA under the bus and out of town.

Go Lebron

Hopefully Gentry has a clue and somehow gets MDA to join him in New Orleans. That roster is scary. I think MDA could have done special things with the Nuggets. I was actually looking forward to rooting for your team. The Suns are a train wreck. Thanks to Steve Kerr. Not much to root for these days and not much of a future.
Puff
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by Puff » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:40 am

You really should have hired D'Antoni and made Malone an assistant at the most. Unfortunately I expect that you will regret this hire not too far down the line.

The damage Steve Kerr did to D'Antoni and the Suns organization is amazing. Since MDA left Phoenix the Suns have made the playoffs once and that was with Mike's players and his top assistant running the show, Gentry. Now Kerr is about to win an NBA championship without ever coaching an NBA game in his life or spending time as an assistant prior to this season. When the going got tough in Phoenix he cut and ran out of Phoenix. This year he gets paid $30 mil and steps into a ready made roster while hiring about 75 assistant coaches to do his job. He spent most of his time in San Diego with his family when he was GM of the Suns. Somehow that workload provided the knowledge to throw MDA under the bus and out of town.

Go Lebron

Hopefully Gentry has a clue and somehow gets MDA to join him in New Orleans. That roster is scary. I think MDA could have done special things with the Nuggets. I was actually looking forward to rooting for your team. The Suns are a train wreck. Thanks to Steve Kerr. Not much to root for these days and not much of a future.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#35 » by The Rebel » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:33 pm

Puff wrote:You really should have hired D'Antoni and made Malone an assistant at the most. Unfortunately I expect that you will regret this hire not too far down the line.

Go Lebron

Mike D'Antoni has had problems every where he has ever been outside of Phoenix when he had a stacked team and Steve Nash. You can blame it all on Steve Kerr if you like, but reality is he has not done crap without an MVP candidate in Nash running the team. Not to mention having 3 or 4 guys on the roster who deserved max money the entire time he was in Phoenix.

Also I cannot for the life of me figure out why everybody thinks D'Antoni is the perfect fit for this roster, the Nuggets were bottom 5 in the league for 3 point shooting, which means the Nuggets would have to get 3 point shooters. One of the guys the Nuggets want to build around is a 6'11" 280lb center that has a back to the basket game and is a very good defensive player. The other one used to play for D'Antoni is New York and was left standing in the corner shooting 3s, despite actually being at his best slashing to the rim and drawing fouls, that same player was pushing for Hunt to come back and never said a word about D'Antoni despite them both having close ties to Italy and D'Antoni reportedly having some sort of relationship to Gallo's father.

Half the team would have had to be changed out, the rumor was that D'Antoni wanted big money, and players that have played for him in the past did not make any mention anywhere of supporting him. I think he was a recipe for disaster with this current lineup, but since he used the SSOL offense everybody thinks he can coach any team that plays fast, but that is not his history at all. He needs a dominant PG, a bunch of shooters, pick and roll bigs, and no worry about slashing or playing defense. No thanks.
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#36 » by Powder Blue » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:01 pm

Just listed to the introductory press conference. Theme's I took away from it are...

-He wants a team that hates to lose
-He stressed efficiency and how in 09 the team was efficient on both ends of the floor. Mention the poor shooting and D the past two years as things he would like to improve.
-He made specific mention of both Ty and Faried and their strengths as players and what situations they perform well in.
-In SAC he coached the team based on the roster, he believes in playing at a fast pace when the roster and situation fits.

Overall I was impressed, seemed no non-sense and very educated on the game of basketball. If Cousins liked playing for him I'm sure most players will. To be honest I think his success or failure will be tied to the roster they build for him over the next 2 years.
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by MHZ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:01 pm

He really commands the room. You can see why players respect him, and frankly, he'll probably be more successful with the media for it, too.

Need to give him a roster, but I think they hired the right guy.
skywalker33

Post#38 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:54 pm

Bet he has sense enough not to throw players under the bus, too !!1

Puff
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by Puff » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:15 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Puff wrote:You really should have hired D'Antoni and made Malone an assistant at the most. Unfortunately I expect that you will regret this hire not too far down the line.

Go Lebron

Mike D'Antoni has had problems every where he has ever been outside of Phoenix when he had a stacked team and Steve Nash. You can blame it all on Steve Kerr if you like, but reality is he has not done crap without an MVP candidate in Nash running the team. Not to mention having 3 or 4 guys on the roster who deserved max money the entire time he was in Phoenix.

Also I cannot for the life of me figure out why everybody thinks D'Antoni is the perfect fit for this roster, the Nuggets were bottom 5 in the league for 3 point shooting, which means the Nuggets would have to get 3 point shooters. One of the guys the Nuggets want to build around is a 6'11" 280lb center that has a back to the basket game and is a very good defensive player. The other one used to play for D'Antoni is New York and was left standing in the corner shooting 3s, despite actually being at his best slashing to the rim and drawing fouls, that same player was pushing for Hunt to come back and never said a word about D'Antoni despite them both having close ties to Italy and D'Antoni reportedly having some sort of relationship to Gallo's father.

Half the team would have had to be changed out, the rumor was that D'Antoni wanted big money, and players that have played for him in the past did not make any mention anywhere of supporting him. I think he was a recipe for disaster with this current lineup, but since he used the SSOL offense everybody thinks he can coach any team that plays fast, but that is not his history at all. He needs a dominant PG, a bunch of shooters, pick and roll bigs, and no worry about slashing or playing defense. No thanks.

Malone's coaching record speaks volumes. He had pretty good roster in Sacramento and got fired. I give him at most 2 years in Denver and you will be looking for another coach.

I repeat you guys will regret this decision going forward. D'Antoni was a far better choice for this job.

MDA does have a weakness. He believes the ball finds energy and does not like coaching ball hogs that believe they are better than the team. Guys like Carmelo, Howard, (Pau) Gasol, and Kobe do not do well in his system. He was doing OK in New York until the trade for Carmelo and should have never taken the Laker job with that group.

Good luck - I might be wrong but I doubt it.

Your loss not mine.
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by MHZ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:21 pm

Puff wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

Go Lebron

Malone's coaching record speaks volumes. He had pretty good roster in Sacramento and got fired. I give him at most 2 years in Denver and you will be looking for another coach.

I repeat you guys will regret this decision going forward. D'Antoni was a far better choice for this job.

MDA does have a weakness. He believes the ball finds energy and does not like coaching ball hogs that believe they are better than the team. Guys like Carmelo, Howard, (Pau) Gasol, and Kobe do not do well in his system. He was doing OK in New York until the trade for Carmelo and should have never taken the Laker job with that group.

Good luck - I might be wrong but I doubt it.

Your loss not mine.

That's exactly the problem - he's completely rigid. Pau Gasol has had zero problems anywhere else he's gone, and is a good passing big man.

First, what's the point in paying MDA $4 million/year when we're rebuilding?

Second, D'Antoni has been fired twice, with the door hitting him on the ass both times. Why not view those firings without context the way you're doing with Malone?

Malone may not be successful here - that will likely hinge on the roster more than anything. Hiring D'Antoni would have been a disaster. Just like the last two teams who hired him would tell you. We don't have Steve Nash, not even close.

Return to Denver Nuggets