2015 Free Agency

Moderator: THE J0KER

Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

2015 Free Agency 

Post#1 » by Powder Blue » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:25 pm

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/denver_nuggets/

Nuggets sitting at about $60 Million in salary with 12 guys on the roster, 14 if you count Mudiay and Jokic.

-Arthur is a free agent, not sure he comes back.
-Nelson has opted out of his deal, Don't really see him coming back.
-Barton got a qualifying offer, likely returns.

I'd say shooting is our main need...but I don't see us addressing it. Really unsure where we're going to get quality SG minutes.

I see free agency going just like the trade deadline and the draft. A lot of talk but in the end only one move will be made.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: 2015 Free Agency 

Post#2 » by The Rebel » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:36 pm

I agree, outside of signing Jokic I doubt much happens, unless a big trade comes down we do not have the cap space or roster room to really add anybody of importance.
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Post#3 » by MHZ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:02 pm

If Jameer is willing, I could easily see us bringing him back. TC was talking on the radio a few days ago about texting with Jameer.

Good veteran, shooting PG. Great complement to Mudiay. They could play together quite easily, as well.

If not him, we'll make a play for another veteran PG. Anybody know the other FA point guards that may be out there?
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#4 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:28 pm

Jameer would be one of the only free agent moves I could see us doing. Maybe signing someone for/from the SL but that's more training cap fodder move
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
JerrySloan
Junior
And1: 54

Post#5 » by JerrySloan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:11 pm

Why would Nelson even consider coming back if Lawson doesn't get traded?

Just like Andre Miller a couple years ago, he doesn't envision himself as a 24 MPG or less guy at this point in his career.
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by MHZ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:32 pm

The market will dictate his value. He actually pushed to not be traded at the deadline last year.

If I were him, I'd want to catch on with Cleveland or somebody like that. Who knows what his priorities are, though. If he's here with Mudiay, they're going to play him plenty, and I don't see a reason he couldn't play at the same time as Mudiay.

Ty won't be here. Don't worry.
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by MHZ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:40 pm

Sounds like Will Barton would like to be back. I'd like to see him back. He's a RFA.

[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/4ZrrgRTaDa/[/instagram]

Edit: cut off the caption:
willthethrillb5Shout out to my UA lil bro on getting drafted making his dreams come true. Welcome to the team bro. Time to do ya thing in the big leagues. Looking forward to us being real dangerous in that backcourt & in transition. #UAfamily #nuggetsnation
eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,115

Post#8 » by eathb_au » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:52 pm

No need for Nelson really, our PG stock is fine right now.

I think we'll keep Foye since it seems that TC is suggesting we will run Lawson-Mudiay as our starting backcourt and it can work with Foye being able to handle backup duties.

Would like to keep DA since he's a Malone type player.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#9 » by psimanic1 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:05 pm

@MHZ Barton is back for one more year, he opted in.
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by MHZ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:07 pm

We're not keeping Lawson. I promise you.

If you'd rather, let's just say it's hypothetical: if Lawson is gone, we will need a second PG. Would you want Jameer then? Needs to be a veteran. Ideally, a high character veteran. Ideally, also a shooter. Jameer fits that well. I looked at all the FA PGs, and I don't see a better option out there. Any other names people have seen?
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by MHZ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:07 pm

psimanic1 wrote:@MHZ Barton is back for one more year, he opted in.

I don't think he has, has he? I know we extended the qualifying offer.

Expectation is that he'll be back, though, so we're on the same page there.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by The Rebel » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:27 pm

Barton was on a rookie deal that expired, he cannot opt in, but the Nuggets issued the qualifying offer so they can match any offer he gets. However it certainly appears that he plans on coming back and is happy about that, so I am happy to see him back.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,602

Post#13 » by youngthegiant » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:52 pm

Hopefully we don't guarantee Foye's contract. Would give us a little over 10 million to use on a free agent. Since we own the rights to both Jokic and Barton. We can use our cap room and still sign them right? As long as we don't go over the luxury tax?
MHZ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by MHZ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:59 pm

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_28390311/jameer-nelson-opts-out-contract-denver-nuggets

NBA free agency opens up next week, and the player arguably at the top of the Nuggets' wish list is one of their own — point guard Jameer Nelson.

Nelson's representation has informed the Nuggets he will opt out of the remaining year of his contract, but Denver remains a strong contender to re-sign him.

And it desperately wants his services next season.

Nelson was a stabilizing force in the locker room, arriving at the right time for a Nuggets team that was unraveling because of losing and conflict between players and some coaches. With a new, young, promising point guard in Emmanuel Mudiay, the Nuggets would love to have Nelson mentor the talented rookie and teach him good habits of being a professional.

Nelson has had a chance to speak with new Nuggets coach Mike Malone and, according to a source, is on board with the hire. Nelson is hoping to secure steady, significant playing time, which right now appears to be a stretch with three point guards on the roster — Ty Lawson, Mudiay and Erick Green. With Lawson's future up in the air because of the possibility of a trade, playing time could open up quickly.

No surprises there. They'll move Lawson and bring back Nelson. Makes way too much sense not to, especially if he's already talking to Michael Malone and pleased with the hire.
tstrick33
Junior
And1: 80

Post#15 » by tstrick33 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:54 am

All signs point to a Ty departure. It would be nice if they could get a quality SG in return, problem is not too many teams who are looking for a PG have a good SG. Two things I would like to see:

-Trade Ty, Chandler, Harris and Foye for Rudy Gay and McLemore.
-Sign Wesley Mathews. Overpay for him if you have to, the guy can shoot and we desperately need a SG.

Ideal lineup:

PG: Mudiay/Nelson
SG: Mathews/McLemore/Barton
SF: Gay/Gallo
PF: Faried/Lauvergne
C: Nurkic/Jokic
eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,115

Post#16 » by eathb_au » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:49 am

Matthews will be getting close to the max contract if not the max. Was pretty much Portland's best player last season.
tstrick33
Junior
And1: 80

Post#17 » by tstrick33 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:58 am

Lamarcus Aldridge was their best player by far. I don't know what the max is set at right now but I bet he'll get in the $10-$12M which would be worth it IMO.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by The Rebel » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:31 pm

tstrick33 wrote:All signs point to a Ty departure. It would be nice if they could get a quality SG in return, problem is not too many teams who are looking for a PG have a good SG. Two things I would like to see:

-Trade Ty, Chandler, Harris and Foye for Rudy Gay and McLemore.
-Sign Wesley Mathews. Overpay for him if you have to, the guy can shoot and we desperately need a SG.

Ideal lineup:

PG: Mudiay/Nelson
SG: Mathews/McLemore/Barton
SF: Gay/Gallo
PF: Faried/Lauvergne
C: Nurkic/Jokic

YOu have the 2 best players on the team playing the same position after that deal, that is a huge waste of assets, and Gallo would start over Gay. It was widely reported that the Grizzlies tried to trade gay straight up for Gallo before trading him Toronto, and the Nuggets said no despite the injury issues. So that means both front offices would rather have an injury prone Gallo than Gay.

Mathews is also reportedly asking for a max deal which will pay him $15.9 million, even with the acl injury that is going to affect him for at least another year, as it takes most NBA players 2 full years to fully recover from an ACL injury and be able to do what they could before. The fact is after signing Jokic the Nuggets have no cap space to speak of, and after your deal the cap space is slightly better but still not nearly enough to pay someone $10 million per let alone a max deal.

Plus why spend that kind of money on players when you have a young center and a young PG who are going to need another year or two to get aroudn to playing very well. I would rather have Harris for the next year and cap space afterwords than to try to rush things.

The Killer during the Melo years was that the Nuggets went out and spent all that money on Kmart, before the rest of the team was ready, and he did not fill any holes. They got to good to quick and spent all the cap space and then were limited for future moves.
RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,247

Post#19 » by RRFB » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:35 pm

I agree with Rebel. There's really two directions we can take heading into this season. One is to make a push for next years' playoffs, meaning keep Lawson, throw money at a free agent and give this core one final shot at making it work. The other option is to give the re-tool another year. Trade Lawson for whatever we can get and give the young guys an opportunity to grow and gel. Then make a play for a big name free agent next off-season with the big cap increase, while also (hopefully) picking up another high lottery pick.

I tend to think the second choice is the better way to go, but I could see them going somewhere in between.
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

2015 Free Agency 

Post#20 » by Powder Blue » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:56 pm

I should have included this initially but @ $60 Mil the Nuggets have their MLE (5ish million) and BLE (2ish) to work with when trying to sign other players. 2 big TPE's from the McGee and AAA trades.

Pretty sure Mudiay got a 4 year 8.7 mil deal with the 4th year a team option.

I don't see the Nuggets spending more than what's currently committed. Nelson does make sense to bring back but I'll bet he only entertains that offer if Ty is traded...and if we don't trade Ty early in FA Nelson will go where he can play, he's not going to wait around for our FO.

A Lawson/Mudiay starting backcourt makes me cringe, neither one of those guys are off-the-ball players.

I see Boston, Dallas, Houston and Sac as the main suitors for Ty. They won't be offering much but we better take the best deal, sign Nelson and see what Malone can do.

Return to Denver Nuggets