ImageImageImage

JR Smith

Moderator: THE J0KER

berserker
Rookie
And1: 25

JR Smith 

Post#1 » by berserker » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:51 am

Ok, guys, I'm sure this will probably not be received well....

BUT

We have some issues at the 2 guard, both on defense and on offense. Nick Young cannot shoot, Harris is not a great shooter, and Foye is our best option right now IMO.

Could JR beat out Young? Yes. Defensively, we can throw Harris on anyone, or if we need a bigger body bring in Chandler. But we are going to SERIOUSLY struggle on offense this year. I think having scorers is just as important as the defensive mindset we are reaching for. Right now we have a lot of people who can't hit a jumper - that's a recipe for a disaster of a season.

The thing I still like about JR is his ability to penetrate, as well as his range. I haven't seen enough of Young, but neither Foye or Harris scare anyone off the dribble. From what I saw in the Summer League, Mudiay will need some time to develop, as he is a decent penetrator but can get shut down by a good defender.

Enter Smith - a guy who can also penetrate and break down a defense.

Would it be worth a flyer on a previous headcase who MAY have learned something about team playing with LeBron? What do you think? I think we should consider it.
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Re: JR Smith 

Post#2 » by Powder Blue » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:31 am

berserker wrote:Ok, guys, I'm sure this will probably not be received well....

BUT

We have some issues at the 2 guard, both on defense and on offense. Nick Young cannot shoot, Harris is not a great shooter, and Foye is our best option right now IMO.

Could JR beat out Young? Yes. Defensively, we can throw Harris on anyone, or if we need a bigger body bring in Chandler. But we are going to SERIOUSLY struggle on offense this year. I think having scorers is just as important as the defensive mindset we are reaching for. Right now we have a lot of people who can't hit a jumper - that's a recipe for a disaster of a season.

The thing I still like about JR is his ability to penetrate, as well as his range. I haven't seen enough of Young, but neither Foye or Harris scare anyone off the dribble. From what I saw in the Summer League, Mudiay will need some time to develop, as he is a decent penetrator but can get shut down by a good defender.

Enter Smith - a guy who can also penetrate and break down a defense.

Would it be worth a flyer on a previous headcase who MAY have learned something about team playing with LeBron? What do you think? I think we should consider it.

I'm not sure why you refer to Nick Young in this post. Unless I'm missing something he's not on the Nuggets, nor is he a free agent. He's also not on the Nuggets radar at all.

JR can shoot, no denying that. He won a lot of games for the Nuggets bombing away...but when he's off boy is he off. In the finals I was disappointed that when his shot was off he didn't look to get to the rim and create some easy offense, although maybe that wasn't an option based on Lebron's system.

I don't hate the idea but I don't see it happening. JR is essentially the same player today that he was when he left the Nuggets in 2011 and shooting-wise he was better here than at his stops in NY and CLE. JR is best on a team where there are veteran leaders that will hold him accountable and keep him somewhat in check, we don't have that here. He's still a productive player and I'm surprised someone else hasn't snatched him up.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#3 » by The Rebel » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:52 am

I doubt JR is brought back due to his drinking and partying issues, he may be better at not driving than TY, but with his comments and rumors that have been around about him forever he seems to be just as bad of a drinker. I doubt the team would bring him in now after the last 6 months with Lawson.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#4 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:15 am

NO WAY....NO HOW !!
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#5 » by DaFan334 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:07 am

I think he meant Nick Johnson, not Nick Young.

As others have said, I think JR is exactly the type of guy that the franchise is trying to avoid at this point in time. His off field lifestyle just isn't what they want to bring to the culture of this team. That is the reason that JR being a FA late into the summer, has happened I think pretty much every time he has been a FA.

I would love to add JR the player, if his off court side was completely different or separated from the team.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#6 » by psimanic1 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:35 pm

But if we could somehow get Korver from ATL....Or JJ from LAC, that would be great.
RenK
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#7 » by RenK » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:40 pm

Jr would just take mins of Harris,lets give him a chance this year,i think we are in for a suprise.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,614

Post#8 » by nomansland » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:53 pm

HELL no. Bad influence, chucker, breaks plays on purpose, and would take minutes from players we actually might want to keep.
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Re: 

Post#9 » by Powder Blue » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:04 pm

RenK wrote:Jr would just take mins of Harris,lets give him a chance this year,i think we are in for a suprise.

Harris has yet to show me anything. Nice kid but he's an undersized SG that can't shoot. I'd be shocked if he has a better career than JR when it's all said and done.
RenK
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#10 » by RenK » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:48 am

Now he will have the chance to prove himself,foye will start so he wont have that much pressure.Altough i would trade foye and some one for Bogdanovic in a heart beat,he will have a FANTASTIC season,great size for a sg,still young,sharp shooter...even the Nets told in an interview that he is they x factor,how he can take over games etc.
Mr Gametime
Junior
And1: 117

Post#11 » by Mr Gametime » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:48 pm

Because of your draft situation and lack of talent at SG you should go for Smith, he'll be exciting to watch even in a losing season.
When the rich rob the poor it's called business, when the poor fight back it's called violence.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#12 » by skywalker33 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:38 pm

Really telling when JR opted out od his $6.4M option with a top playoff contender when his series vs the Warriors he really didn't step up to establish positive value.....guy just doesn't get it. And what was his agent thinking ??
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
tstrick33
Junior
And1: 80

Post#13 » by tstrick33 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:18 pm

ZERO chance the Nuggets would or will consider JR coming back. We're not that desperate to find a SG. JR is not very exciting to watch, I think the better word would be frustrating.
eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,115

Post#14 » by eathb_au » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:49 am

I would be all over this if JR wasn't close to 30.
willywazza
Bench Warmer
And1: 412

Post#15 » by willywazza » Fri Aug 7, 2015 11:30 pm

This guy is a cancer. No way.

Return to Denver Nuggets