SI article, numbers point to Jokic being ROY and already an elite player

Moderator: THE J0KER

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

SI article, numbers point to Jokic being ROY and already an elite player 

Post#1 » by The Rebel » Tue May 3, 2016 4:16 pm

Using advanced stats the author is saying the ROY should be Jokic as he has a much bigger affect on the game than any other rookie and is actually elite according to advanced stats.
https://thecauldron.si.com/and-the-nba-rookie-of-the-year-award-goes-to-f7f48172e40d#.z1lkte3xr
RationalGaze
Junior
And1: 63

Re: SI article, numbers point to Jokic being ROY and already an elite player 

Post#2 » by RationalGaze » Tue May 3, 2016 7:56 pm

The Rebel wrote:Using advanced stats the author is saying the ROY should be Jokic as he has a much bigger affect on the game than any other rookie and is actually elite according to advanced stats.
https://thecauldron.si.com/and-the-nba-rookie-of-the-year-award-goes-to-f7f48172e40d#.z1lkte3xr

Advanced metrics don't factor in Sam Mitchell when it comes to wins.
Thibodeau can cancel trading Karl since Nuggets don't want to trade Jokic. :D
RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,259

Post#3 » by RRFB » Tue May 3, 2016 8:28 pm

RationalGaze wrote:
The Rebel wrote:Using advanced stats the author is saying the ROY should be Jokic as he has a much bigger affect on the game than any other rookie and is actually elite according to advanced stats.

Advanced metrics don't factor in Sam Mitchell when it comes to wins.

:lol: If that's the best excuse Minnesota fans can come up with, maybe Jokic really does have a case for ROY.

Some of those stats are fascinating, particularly RPM. If you look at the league-wide RPM rankings, Jokic is up there with the elite players in the NBA. I can't wait to see what he can do as a 30mpg starter. Still think Towns should be the unanimous ROY, but Jokic has a very strong case to be the runner up.
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#4 » by U hova » Fri May 6, 2016 7:53 am

I'm not really sure what wins or Sam Mitchell has to do with PER, PIE, WS/48 or RPM

The biggest knock I've heard against Jokic's ROTY campaign (aside from validity of so called "advanced" stats) would be his minutes logged, playing roughly 10 less minutes per game than Towns.

I think at the end of the day, we all recognize that Jokic had an impressive rookie season; we don't necessarily need a trophy for him to validate this. It shouldn't bother you if voters relying on PER comparisons decide Towns or Porzingis had a better run.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#5 » by The Rebel » Fri May 6, 2016 11:44 am

U hova wrote:I'm not really sure what wins or Sam Mitchell has to do with PER, PIE, WS/48 or RPM

The biggest knock I've heard against Jokic's ROTY campaign (aside from validity of so called "advanced" stats) would be his minutes logged, playing roughly 10 less minutes per game than Towns.

I think at the end of the day, we all recognize that Jokic had an impressive rookie season; we don't necessarily need a trophy for him to validate this. It shouldn't bother you if voters relying on PER comparisons decide Towns or Porzingis had a better run.

I don't care who wins the actual award, what bothers me is how few outside of Denver give any credit to Jokic, the kid has a very special rookie season, yet many in the national media and fans in other markets think he is some kind of running joke and not half as good as he actually is. It is easily argued that Jokic was the 2nd best rookie, yet even a couple national NBA writers I have seen do not even put him as a top 10 rookie. One of the things that hurts Denver is the lack of attention guys get while they play here, it hurts with free agents and it hurts with player agents who want endorsement deals for their guys.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#6 » by skywalker33 » Fri May 6, 2016 6:08 pm

We can always use that to our advantage next year. Everyone will be game-planning to defend against KAT, but with the lack of respect Denver receives, Jokic should have more freedom to work because he's not in the spotlight. Feed the man !! I can see 22+/10+ potential in Jokic !!
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,259

Post#7 » by RRFB » Fri May 6, 2016 6:48 pm

Eh, I'm not too worried about the opinions of the media and other fans. There's nothing wrong with flying under the radar. I'm pretty sure those who have opinions that actually matter, know how good Jokic is and how good he can be.
RationalGaze
Junior
And1: 63

Post#8 » by RationalGaze » Sat May 7, 2016 12:24 am

skywalker33 wrote:We can always use that to our advantage next year. Everyone will be game-planning to defend against KAT, but with the lack of respect Denver receives, Jokic should have more freedom to work because he's not in the spotlight. Feed the man !! I can see 22+/10+ potential in Jokic !!

Teams can try their best to prep for Kat, but they're not going to be ready with the prep Thibodeau will bring with Kat. I look forward to seeing you all in the playoffs. Good teams are aware of Jokic.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#9 » by NuggetsWY » Sat May 7, 2016 12:57 am

RationalGaze wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:We can always use that to our advantage next year. Everyone will be game-planning to defend against KAT, but with the lack of respect Denver receives, Jokic should have more freedom to work because he's not in the spotlight. Feed the man !! I can see 22+/10+ potential in Jokic !!

Teams can try their best to prep for Kat, but they're not going to be ready with the prep Thibodeau will bring with Kat. I look forward to seeing you all in the playoffs. Good teams are aware of Jokic.

This division is about to become very interesting.

Return to Denver Nuggets