ImageImageImage

Big time Free Agents

Moderator: THE J0KER

nayyyyyyyyo09
Junior
And1: 68

Re: Big time Free Agents 

Post#21 » by nayyyyyyyyo09 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:15 am

Now imagine the risk reward with this guy though, if he did pan out, making the 8th seed would seem so likely that I believe we'd end up underachieving if we only ended up with the 8th seed. But then again if we sign him he'd most likely like some deal for a span of 4 or 5 years which locks us in for too long if he does end up being a problem because he's injured all the time. I think we should fly him in though and see what he's having problems with injury wise, and from there make a decision. If Kroenke believes we can handle him I'd be on board
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#22 » by NuggetsWY » Tue May 24, 2016 1:19 am

Beal might not be something the Nuggets want - he's good but in four years he has played in 56, 73, 63, 59 games. Injuries happen, but every year is not good. Nuggets have already learned that lesson (I hope).
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#23 » by skywalker33 » Tue May 24, 2016 2:31 am

Reminiscent of Eric Gordon...and look how that turned out. One thing is that with our depth that may be a consideration we could deal with...as long as his or any others' injury isn't season-ending.

On the other hand, Beal, like Gallo, needs to get in rhythm to be an effective scorer.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,247

Post#24 » by RRFB » Tue May 24, 2016 8:02 pm

Pelicans-era Eric Gordon feels like a good comparison to Beal, but I always think back to when Kenyon Martin was here. Having a guy on a max contract that's constantly injured can cripple a team. Kmart's contract and his knees prevented the Nuggets from getting Melo the help he needed to make us a contender. I'd hate to see them make that mistake again. Gallinari and Chandler are bad enough as it is.

Present day Eric Gordon is basically much less riskier version of Beal. They both play a similar game, have similar strengths/weaknesses, and have big time health concerns. Yet Gordon should come at a significantly cheaper price.
tstrick33
Junior
And1: 80

Post#25 » by tstrick33 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:29 am

If Beal is willing to come here for a max, I would do it. It's painfully obvious that he is exactly what they need right now and we have the money to spend. Injuries are a concern but you can't pass up on an excellent 3pt shooting guard, hard to find one and when you do teams tend to keep them.

We need to capitalize on our young talent and Beal will help that.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#26 » by The Rebel » Wed May 25, 2016 3:54 am

RRFB wrote:Pelicans-era Eric Gordon feels like a good comparison to Beal, but I always think back to when Kenyon Martin was here. Having a guy on a max contract that's constantly injured can cripple a team. Kmart's contract and his knees prevented the Nuggets from getting Melo the help he needed to make us a contender. I'd hate to see them make that mistake again. Gallinari and Chandler are bad enough as it is.

Present day Eric Gordon is basically much less riskier version of Beal. They both play a similar game, have similar strengths/weaknesses, and have big time health concerns. Yet Gordon should come at a significantly cheaper price.

I am not so sure that Gordon is all that much less riskier, he has his own injury risk. Beal is also a better outside shooter while Gordon is a better mid range player, and while both are below average defenders Beal is still a better defender. Right now those are the 2 most important things the Nuggets should be looking for. A scorer that can shoot close to 40% as possible and a decent defender. While I hope that Mudiay improves his shooting, the best shooting guard to have next to him is Beal.

Also with so much cap space out there I am not so sure that he will be cheaper. Beal is only eligible for the 25% max, so there will be 24 or so teams that will have the room to possibly sign him to a deal. There are something like 19 teams that can sign Gordon to a max deal, and15 teams will have more than $35 million. I would not be surprised to see guys like Gordon getting a 3 or 4 year max deal at his qualifying 30%.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by NuggetsWY » Wed May 25, 2016 11:01 pm

As I peruse the trade boards, I've begun to believe that the Nuggets probably aren't going to find a trade (and I don't mean just on the trade boards). We have a fairly decent core of youth and even our veterans aren't that old. We don't need to take back salary to do a stretch-n-release because we are around $15-20 million under the salary cap floor and we don't need to make salary cap space. We have lots of picks this year and next with all of our own first round picks in the future. It would be nice to add a top veteran and we have to spend some money but it's still going to be a year or two before we NEED that veteran.

I'm really thinking it would be best to keep three first round picks this year - and yet that frightens me a little.
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#28 » by Powder Blue » Thu May 26, 2016 2:34 am

The three firsts would all need minutes to develop....as do all the young players currently on the roster. That really would screw coach Malone in my opinion. If one of the SG's falls to 7 I'm ok keeping all 3, otherwise make a deal for one.
skywalker33

Post#29 » by skywalker33 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:45 am

Powder Blue wrote:The three firsts would all need minutes to develop....as do all the young players currently on the roster. That really would screw coach Malone in my opinion. If one of the SG's falls to 7 I'm ok keeping all 3, otherwise make a deal for one.

Even though I have never been a proponent, sounds like D-league might work on 2 of the 3. I believe stronger in Euro-stashes, and I believe the Nuggets do as well.

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#30 » by The Rebel » Thu May 26, 2016 4:10 am

NuggetsWY wrote:As I peruse the trade boards, I've begun to believe that the Nuggets probably aren't going to find a trade (and I don't mean just on the trade boards). We have a fairly decent core of youth and even our veterans aren't that old. We don't need to take back salary to do a stretch-n-release because we are around $15-20 million under the salary cap floor and we don't need to make salary cap space. We have lots of picks this year and next with all of our own first round picks in the future. It would be nice to add a top veteran and we have to spend some money but it's still going to be a year or two before we NEED that veteran.

I'm really thinking it would be best to keep three first round picks this year - and yet that frightens me a little.

Remember most deals that happen come out of nowhere, and trade board has only been really close to a deal 3 times in the 10+ years I have been around them, and 1 of those was me who predicted we would get Chandler, Gallo, Mozgov, and 3 picks for Melo and Chauncey. I did not see Koufos, Felton, or the extra pick coming, and you should have seen the reaction when I said that the Nuggets were getting at least that.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by NuggetsWY » Thu May 26, 2016 4:51 am

The Rebel wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:As I peruse the trade boards, I've begun to believe that the Nuggets probably aren't going to find a trade (and I don't mean just on the trade boards). We have a fairly decent core of youth and even our veterans aren't that old. We don't need to take back salary to do a stretch-n-release because we are around $15-20 million under the salary cap floor and we don't need to make salary cap space. We have lots of picks this year and next with all of our own first round picks in the future. It would be nice to add a top veteran and we have to spend some money but it's still going to be a year or two before we NEED that veteran.

Remember most deals that happen come out of nowhere, and trade board has only been really close to a deal 3 times in the 10+ years I have been around them, and 1 of those was me who predicted we would get Chandler, Gallo, Mozgov, and 3 picks for Melo and Chauncey. I did not see Koufos, Felton, or the extra pick coming, and you should have seen the reaction when I said that the Nuggets were getting at least that.

and that would have been so cool - i started watching the boards a couple of years ago but only signed up recently --- OK, let me try my luck at that, "I predict the Nuggets draft 3 first rounders this year." LOL Now, that's boring.
nayyyyyyyyo09
Junior

Post#32 » by nayyyyyyyyo09 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:52 am

Anyone opposed to Beal 4 year 88 million?
eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,115

Post#33 » by eathb_au » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:20 am

I think that's an okay risk to take and it's probably one of the best players we can get that are willing to go to Denver, but from everything I've read the Wizards will match any offer for him.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:31 am

I'm adverse to it - 4 years, injured every year - not a fan of that
nayyyyyyyyo09
Junior

Post#35 » by nayyyyyyyyo09 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:03 am

Some deals I'd jump on if I were the nuggets

Beal 4x88
Curry 3x21
Bazemore 3x42
Darrell Arthur 2x20
Joakim Noah 3x27

These are just the most obvious ones because let's be honest here, we're not getting LeBron or Durant. Bazemore and Noah might be low ball offers, I'm not sure because I stink at evaluating a players worth.
skywalker33

Post#36 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:05 am

SlayOrNay wrote:Some deals I'd jump on if I were the nuggets

Beal 4x88 As noted, WAS will likely match any offer
Curry 3x21Seth Curry ??? What has he done to deserve it ?
Bazemore 3x42 Like this idea, but would Bazemore ?
Darrell Arthur 2x20 Nuggets like him, but that's a heckuva raise
Joakim Noah 3x27 We have enough good centers , no thanks

TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#37 » by TunaFish » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:48 am

You have to wonder if the Nuggets have anticipated a big move for an expensive free agent for some time.

http://www.denverstiffs.com/2016/6/17/11967218/nba-salary-cap-projected-to-rise-to-94-million-in-2016

If they make no move, they will be substantially below the salary cap floor (even with 3 first round picks added). If they max out either Al Horford or DeMar DeRozan they will be in the mid range between the floor and the cap. Neither is likely headed to Denver.

I am guessing that some free agent under than Augustine has to be on the radar! Or they have to make a trade for a substantially well paid player. Will Barton seems likely to be part of the bait if that were to occur. Bottom line, they have to make a move.
Canned in Denver.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#38 » by TunaFish » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:54 am

SlayOrNay wrote:Anyone opposed to Beal 4 year 88 million?

If Beal could stay healthy, that would be an issue. Washington matching is another. Probably not a realistic target.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:27 pm

Still thinking about FA - still don't want anyone with a history of multiple injuries --- thinking about fit in terms of style/ability and personality --- ignoring draft at this time - there are others but ...

Crabbe ----- possible
Fournier ---- probably not available
Delladova -- might be available
Seth Curry - possible
Dudley ----- possible
nayyyyyyyyo09
Junior

Post#40 » by nayyyyyyyyo09 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:19 pm

Seth Curry's stats for the month of April:
16.4 PPG
5.3 APG
3 RPG
Although a small sample size (7games), he played very well in the D-League as well and the man can shoot. He's the son of one of the greatest shooters of all time and the Brother of possibly already the greatest shooter of all time. A contract at 7 million a year may seem steep but he's a role player that could deserve some money like that, not to mention we still have a salary floor we have to meet by signing free agents. Also Analysts are saying that the nuggets are probably going to offer Arthur something around 3 year 30 million (3rd year team option) and thats exactly what my deal was minus the third year. Noah is a great center who can PASS and could mentor Jokic and Nurkic. As for Beal , go for beal immediately because they'll be too worried about maybe signing Durant that we just might make it out with that kind of deal before they realize they won't get Durant and it's too late to match. Bazemore is a good thought, and I understand where you're coming from and we could always give him more money, but 14 million a year for him is way more than he'll get anywhere else, right?

Return to Denver Nuggets